Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero HE-AAC v2, is it better then AACPlus v2? (Read 37041 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero HE-AAC v2, is it better then AACPlus v2?

Reply #25
Please explain? When the newest Nero AAC encoder will be adapted with newest dBpowerAMP Music Converter 11.5, on their site there is no information about that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339374"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nero7 has same API so you can still use dbPowerAmp

Reply #26
so what's the difference between the "high" and "fast" modes now?

Fast mode uses simple scalefactor estimation to gain speed - high mode uses SFE + additional noise shaping processing.  Also there are some differences in precision etc...

Reply #27
so what's the difference between the "high" and "fast" modes now?

Fast mode uses simple scalefactor estimation to gain speed - high mode uses SFE + additional noise shaping processing.  Also there are some differences in precision etc...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340191"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The difference (quality, speed) between HIGH and FAST is now very small. Both modes react in the same way. Sometimes, I get identical results. It seems that both modes are sharing the same engine (it was very different with previous encoder). Could you confirm?
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #28
You can see high mode as fast mode + optimization process.

Reply #29
Garf
Nero7 effective bitrate for HE-AAC in VBR mode is higher then Nero6. Using same sample to comress -vbr_tape i get ~32kbps @ Nero6 and ~40kbps @ Nero7. Why?

Reply #30
You can see high mode as fast mode + optimization process.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340203"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems that the previous fast mode worked differently than the current one.  The previous FAST encoder was used to bloat the bitrate with some stuff (highly tonal samples, harpsichord...) and to keep a great quality with these samples; current encoder has now a much lower bitrate and (much) poorer quality (edit: with these samples, and with both HIGH and FAST modes). 
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #31
Nero team will not change anything because of one person's listening test result. But I'd suggest making the bitrate bloat / bitrate uncertainty an adjustable parameter that can be altered by the user.

Reply #32
Actually this will be changed, but in a better way.

Nero7 effective bitrate for HE-AAC in VBR mode is higher then Nero6. Using same sample to comress -vbr_tape i get ~32kbps @ Nero6 and ~40kbps @ Nero7. Why?

N7 vbr_tape is using Parametric Stereo core - and a different internal VBR preset.

Reply #33
Actually this will be changed, but in a better way.

N7 vbr_tape is using Parametric Stereo core - and a different internal VBR preset.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340228"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

there are same effect for vbr_streaming and vbr_normal too

Reply #34
Due to different VBR engine bitrates could be different - some people, i.e. complain about smaller avg. bit rate for the normal preset.

Reply #35
Due to different VBR engine bitrates could be different - some people, i.e. complain about smaller avg. bit rate for the normal preset.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340240"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

for LC avg bitrate is smaller but for SBR avg bitrate is always bigger

And one more question - why your encoder support SBR encoding @ bitrate bigger then 40kbps per channel? LC encoder sound's MUCH better or such bitrates...

Reply #36
What about LC-AAC mode in newest Nero 7 AAC encoder? What is improved here? I mean on 128 kbps, 192 kbps and 256 kbps bitrates.

Reply #37
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340240"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

for LC avg bitrate is smaller but for SBR avg bitrate is always bigger

And one more question - why your encoder support SBR encoding @ bitrate bigger then 40kbps per channel? LC encoder sound's MUCH better or such bitrates...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HE-AAC is not defaulted for those bitrates, is it?

Reply #38
What about LC-AAC mode in newest Nero 7 AAC encoder? What is improved here? I mean on 128 kbps, 192 kbps and 256 kbps bitrates.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340252"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quality is better. ("What else did you expect?")

Reply #39
Nero team will not change anything because of one person's listening test result.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340222"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That sums it up pretty well. I would much prefer a proper test, as I already said. We will not revise the tuning based on one persons result, and I hope that other people don't base their decisions on just that, either. We did internal tests and decided that the current settings seem to be best, and are an improvement over the old encoder, fast or high mode.

Reply #40
Garf
Does You perform internal listening tests during encoder developmen/tuningt? Can You public results?
Thanx!

Reply #41
Garf
Does You perform internal listening tests during encoder developmen/tuningt?

Yes, of course...

Can You public results?
Thanx!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340272"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't want to do that. (Well, the encoder is public, that's one result of those tests!)

Reply #42
One more thing. Garf, you said that new AAC encoder can be used in DbPowerAmp 11.5.With that program, I encode WAV files into AAC.

Question is: If I install Nero 7.0.1.2 on my computer, will DbPowerAmp 11.5 automaticly start to encode in newest AAC encoder.

P.S. I installed from their site plug-in who enables Nero AAC support.

Reply #43
One more thing. Garf, you said that new AAC encoder can be used in DbPowerAmp 11.5.With that program, I encode WAV files into AAC.

Question is: If I install Nero 7.0.1.2 on my computer, will DbPowerAmp 11.5 automaticly start to encode in newest AAC encoder.

P.S. I installed from their site plug-in who enables Nero AAC support.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340318"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it is working alright, I've been using the same for two days already..

Reply #44

And what N7 presets other than vbr_tape does use PS core by default?

Reply #45
cbr 24 kbps
cbr 32 kbps
cbr 48 kbps
vbr_tape
vbr_radio

Reply #46
There is new version of CD-DA extractor http://www.poikosoft.com/
It has a fresh HE-AAC2 from  Codingtechnologies.

Reply #47
There is new version of CD-DA extractor http://www.poikosoft.com/
It has a fresh HE-AAC2 from  Codingtechnologies.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can get aacPlus v2 CD-extraction for free with winamp and aacPlus v2-transcoding with the transcoder-plugin.

You should know of [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39268]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....68[/url]

Reply #48
Transcoder never worked for me and many other...
Anyhow, I'm using that ghetto aacplusenc.exe command line tool

Reply #49
Please explain? When the newest Nero AAC encoder will be adapted with newest dBpowerAMP Music Converter 11.5, on their site there is no information about that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339374"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nero7 has same API so you can still use dbPowerAmp
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340188"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Something has changed in Nero 7, if used from an external program it times out after 30 or so encodes even though it is the full version.

It is on our fix list, could be something as simple as the nero stuff needing the active folder set to \nero\, could be anything.