Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A secure ripper for linux (Read 163251 times) previous topic - next topic

A secure ripper for linux

Reply #175
just change the readahead value in p_block.c  and recompile

by default it's set to only 150 sectors so it reads 150+1 sectors at a time, only 302kb

change the value to whatever you need, 1 sector = 2048 bytes/2kb, try to keep it just one sector more then what you need to clear the cache, I've noticed setting it too high makes it just as innaccurate as leaving it unmodified.

Reply #176

by default it's set to only 150 sectors so it reads 150+1 sectors at a time, only 302kb

change the value to whatever you need, 1 sector = 2048 bytes/2kb, try to keep it just one sector more then what you need to clear the cache, I've noticed setting it too high makes it just as innaccurate as leaving it unmodified.

so the value would depend on the cache of your specific drive? I wonder if there is a way to collect this information automatically from the drive and have it use that value?
IndieRockSteve

Reply #178

What do you recomend to use instead of 150!?
How do I know what my drive need!?

Reply #179
repackaged version 0.4.1 for rarewares/debian

available at the usual place... thanks again

later

Reply #180
I looked at Rubyripper just now. Good work on the UI, and the library.

The coding style is not 80 col friendly, and indentation suffers. Shell commands do the dirty work, instead of the more portable library extensions. There is no RLE hash implemented for audio sample data.

After all I don't think cdparanoia has seen an update in a long time, the method by which you re-read audio could be served by rbcdio.

Rubyripper is not what I have in mind, and so I am working on my own UI. The features I would like are ripping a disc, verifying, and encoding to FLAC. Making a UI is not my favorite thing to do. Teaser follows.

Besides the UI mockup I've got working code for reading album metadata from MusicBrainz, checking AccurateRip checksums, and platform portable cd reads. There are some key extensions features missing or only partially implemented. If anyone has an interest in contributing, the bits that need fleshing out are:

- rbcdio (add access to the paranoia interface, MMC interface)
- flac handling (metadata read and write, audio "each_byte" uncompressed)

Eric

Reply #181

The coding style is not 80 col friendly, and indentation suffers. Shell commands do the dirty work, instead of the more portable library extensions. There is no RLE hash implemented for audio sample data.

After all I don't think cdparanoia has seen an update in a long time, the method by which you re-read audio could be served by rbcdio.

Rubyripper is not what I have in mind, and so I am working on my own UI. The features I would like are ripping a disc, verifying, and encoding to FLAC. Making a UI is not my favorite thing to do. Teaser follows.

Besides the UI mockup I've got working code for reading album metadata from MusicBrainz, checking AccurateRip checksums, and platform portable cd reads. There are some key extensions features missing or only partially implemented. If anyone has an interest in contributing, the bits that need fleshing out are:

Eric

Eric,

Do you where can I donwload the MAC OS X version?

Reply #182

Eric

Eric,

Do you KNOW where can I donwload the MAC OS X version?

Reply #183
Hi,

Rubyripper is at version 0.4.3 in svn and can "talk" English, Dutch and German.

Best,
Morfeus

Edit: corrected misleading information and typos. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply #184
As far as I know 0.4.3 is not yet released. However latest svn is translated into dutch and german indeed. As main developer I oughta know when a release is made, right?

About the changes jnc is proposing. I'm looking forward to see the code. Rubyripper is released under GPL3 after all.
A secure audio ripper for linux: code.google.com/p/rubyripper

Reply #185
LOL

...that's confusing

Reply #186
Possibly stupid question.

Has anyone managed to get Ruby to rip from multiple CD drives simultaneously?  (running ubuntu if it matters)

I tried, it managed to create both sets of directories, but the 'non-default' instance crashed pretty quick.

Should it work?

Reply #187

Eric

i'm really interested in that. about the problems cdparanoia has, some on the net suggested to use libcdio instead. therefore rbcdio should be used if you're doing things in ruby. this stuff is quite new but if it works, then go for it

BUT. it is not a too good idea to duplicate efforts, like so many times in the foss scene...

so why don't you negotiate this and make something great, together. it would really boost development. you could easily make the best & safest gnu ripper ever. grip is dead, and sound juicer is just another simple frontend without anything advanced.

go guys go

Reply #189
Hello,
I'm new to Linux world and I wanted to try out your RubyRipper.
I have followed both RubyRipper wiki and your suggestion:
Now comes what works for me, just open up a terminal and do after me. First cd to the directory you saved ruby-freedb-0.5.tar.gz and then:

frodo@localhost ~/Desktop/Downloads/src/ruby-freedb $ ls
ruby-freedb-0.5.tar.gz
frodo@localhost ~/Desktop/Downloads/src/ruby-freedb $ tar xfz ruby-freedb-0.5.tar.gz
frodo@localhost ~/Desktop/Downloads/src/ruby-freedb $ cd ruby-freedb-0.5
frodo@localhost ~/Desktop/Downloads/src/ruby-freedb/ruby-freedb-0.5 $ ruby extconf.rb
checking for OS... linux
creating Makefile
frodo@localhost ~/Desktop/Downloads/src/ruby-freedb/ruby-freedb-0.5 $ make
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -fPIC -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -ftracer -fPIC -DOS_LINUX -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux -I. -c freedb_cdrom.c
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared -L'/usr/lib' -Wl,-R'/usr/lib' -o freedb_cdrom.so freedb_cdrom.o -Wl,-R -Wl,/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -L. -lruby18 -lpthread -ldl -lcrypt -lm -lc
frodo@localhost ~/Desktop/Downloads/src/ruby-freedb/ruby-freedb-0.5 $ su
Password:
localhost ruby-freedb-0.5 # make install

The last step I haven't done, cause I've already installed it. Now it should get you started.
... but it doesn't work for me... I'm in the decompressed directory with RubyRipper
Code: [Select]
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha$ cd rubyripper-0.5.3
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$ make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$ ruby-freedb-0.5.3 $ ruby extconf.rb
bash: ruby-freedb-0.5.3: command not found
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$ rubyripper-0.5.3 $ ruby extconf.rb
bash: rubyripper-0.5.3: command not found
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$ rubyripper_gtk2.rb
bash: rubyripper_gtk2.rb: command not found
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$ rubyripper_cli.rb
bash: rubyripper_cli.rb: command not found
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$ make install
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$ make install rubyripper_cli.rb
kejta@K8-desktop:~/Plocha/rubyripper-0.5.3$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
I have no idea what am I doing wrong...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, K8!
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #190
The Hydrogenaudio wiki is outdated. Follow the instructions on the README file and you should be fine.
A secure audio ripper for linux: code.google.com/p/rubyripper

Reply #191
I can update the page to include new information and link it to your Google Code page.
budding I.T professional

Reply #192
The Hydrogenaudio wiki is outdated. Follow the instructions on the README file and you should be fine.
If you looked at the second code section from my command line you'll see, that I've tried to follow the readme. Unfortunately my GNU / Linux knowledge is too small to understand how to use make install or something like that.
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #193
I can update the page to include new information and link it to your Google Code page.
I've checked the RubyRipper Google Code page and I haven't found any instructions regarding the instalation...
So, ReadMe is the only way and I have no idea how to accomplish the instalation.

Reply #194
You probably should mention the Linux distribution you use. I use Ubuntu and I could install Rubyripper fine using these instructions http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799621

The instructions in the "readme" are generic in order to work on any Linux system. I guess that once you have ruby (the ruby programming language interpreter) installed, it is in fact possible to run rubyripper directly from the code, i.e. without "installing":

Run from directory:
(1) ./rubyripper_gtk2.rb or
(1) ./rubyripper_cli.rb

from the directory where you untarred the archive.

Reply #195
@ chromium: I run Ubuntu Linux 8.04 LTS and when I doubleclicked the unTARed *.rb files nothing happened.
I have followed the instructions from either wiki or readme and installed also the dependency packages that were known to me.

Reply #196

Answering from the perspective of 10.2, this alone does not fix the problems in pre 10.2, although it does fix one of them.  That will cause it to always read the cache overfull, but if the next desired read location begins within the currently cached area, as will usually be the case when beginning the next large read section (last verified location- 16 sectors) you still get cached data

Reply #197
You probably should mention the Linux distribution you use. I use Ubuntu and I could install Rubyripper fine using these instructions http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799621
Thanks to the above mentioned instructions I finally made it!

It works like a charm:
This log is created by Rubyripper, version 0.5.3
Website: [url=http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper]http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper[/url]

Cdrom player used to rip:
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4165B DL04
Cdrom offset used: 667

Ripper used: cdparanoia -Z
Matches required for all chunks: 2
Matches required for erroneous chunks: 2

Codec(s) used:
-mp3 -> -V 2 --vbr-new
(LAME 32bits version 3.97 (http://www.mp3dev.org/)

CDDB INFO

Artist = Savatage
Album = Gutter Ballet
Year = 1989
Genre = Metal
Tracks = 12

01 - Of Rage and War
02 - Gutter Ballet
03 - Temptation Revelation
04 - When the Crowds Are Gone
05 - Silk and Steel
06 - She's In Love
07 - Hounds
08 - The UnHoly
09 - Mentally Yours
10 - Summer's Rain
11 - Thorazine Shuffle
12 - All That I Bleed

STATUS

Starting to rip track 1, trial #1
Starting to rip track 1, trial #2
Analyzing files for mismatching chunks
Every chunk matched 2 times
MD5 sum: ddcaff7b28dae772e0edbf9af08778ec

Starting to rip track 2, trial #1
Starting to rip track 2, trial #2
MD5 sum: 3f62ff08b5f94023f37a9382d1a3c053

Starting to rip track 3, trial #1
Starting to rip track 3, trial #2
MD5 sum: 507f280a35b900a09a11e555ccd84cc2

Starting to rip track 4, trial #1
Starting to rip track 4, trial #2
MD5 sum: 01df52044de00c8e890abd23fdec296f

Starting to rip track 5, trial #1
Starting to rip track 5, trial #2
MD5 sum: 0abc972e7b58bd86d14ba726f7cff08c

Starting to rip track 6, trial #1
Starting to rip track 6, trial #2
MD5 sum: 61078782e9f3a0cf594e0711a28f2f97

Starting to rip track 7, trial #1
Starting to rip track 7, trial #2
MD5 sum: 46f76024fb48f399f82fafd8a932cc72

Starting to rip track 8, trial #1
Starting to rip track 8, trial #2
MD5 sum: 45eef43445f0e1c7580dfc0b70421093

Starting to rip track 9, trial #1
Starting to rip track 9, trial #2
MD5 sum: 06d422614f8239fe53f6fb8a5e6a8908

Starting to rip track 10, trial #1
Starting to rip track 10, trial #2
MD5 sum: 08eac61dceb0295e3aebc5fd7e3d272e

Starting to rip track 11, trial #1
Starting to rip track 11, trial #2
MD5 sum: 9007714af78a1989582688658305a986

Starting to rip track 12, trial #1
Starting to rip track 12, trial #2
MD5 sum: 5169a5df71a02c3b28d63a043a34e301

RIPPING SUMMARY

All chunks were tried to match at least 2 times.
None of the tracks gave any problems
Thank you very much!
I wish there was an available binary for Lame 3.98 ...

Edit: I haven't found any TAGing option, I want to use just ID3V1.1 TAGs, not the ID3V2.3 . Is it possible?

Reply #198
Add --id3v1-only to your command-line options.

Reply #199
Add --id3v1-only to your command-line options.
You mean in "Preferences > Codecs > Lame Mp3" add:
-V 2 -Y --id3v1-only
...right?