Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replaygain (Read 5160 times) previous topic - next topic

Replaygain

OK, here is my stupid question for the year (I hope).  I can't  figure out how to get Foobar2000 to write the Replaygain info to ID3V2 tags, instead of APE tags. 

I think I need this for it to work on my Rockbox.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Replaygain

Reply #1
OK, here is my stupid question for the year (I hope).  I can't  figure out how to get Foobar2000 to write the Replaygain info to ID3V2 tags, instead of APE tags. 

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349195"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does the rockbox use some automagical Replaygain in ID3v2 tag?
Isn't Rockbox the opensourced version of a popular portable player?

If so, convince developers to support APEtags instead then, or use MP3Gain for your material since there are no sane ways to implement proper Replaygain data into ID3-tags.

Replaygain

Reply #2

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does the rockbox use some automagical Replaygain in ID3v2 tag?
Isn't Rockbox the opensourced version of a popular portable player?

If so, convince developers to support APEtags instead then, or use MP3Gain for your material since there are no sane ways to implement proper Replaygain data into ID3-tags.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349196"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2005-08/0204.shtml]Their page regarding this[/url] is somewhat confusing.  It seems they plan to support APE tags in the future, so I don't need to request that feature.  I think the Rockbox developers are quite talented people.

I don't want to use MP3gain on my files.  I only want to modify the tags, so that it can be turned on/off on the player at my discretion.

I suppose that if I want to use replaygain with Rockbox, it would be better to use Vorbis.  But before doing that, I thought it was worth asking.

Edit: I'm using Rockbox on an iRiver H140 (modified to 60GB).

Replaygain

Reply #3
.... there are no sane ways to implement proper Replaygain data into ID3-tags.

Wrong !
In V0.8.3, and when using foo_id3v2, Preferences/Standard Input will give you options for tagging that will apply to ReplaygainInfo, as well as other tags.
I suspect V0.9 will behave similarly ... although I have not tested it.

Replaygain

Reply #4

Wrong !
In V0.8.3, and when using foo_id3v2, Preferences/Standard Input will give you options for tagging that will apply to ReplaygainInfo, as well as other tags.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349245"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that's different from being there.. it's still no sane way.. it's a temporary way not eagerly supported by people.
So it's a better bet to stick to APEtags with this or move to another format.
Mp3 is very outdated.

Replaygain

Reply #5

Wrong !

that's different from being there.. it's still no sane way.. it's a temporary way not eagerly supported by people.
Mp3 is very outdated.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349251"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sane or not, it freaking works!!  And, it works with the Rockbox firmware.  Thanks Nemo7538.  It works perfectly.

Replaygain

Reply #6

Wrong !

Mp3 is very outdated.

I don't think theres a proper way to implement ID3v2 at all, so its sort of a moot point.

Replaygain

Reply #7

Wrong !

Mp3 is very outdated.

I don't think theres a proper way to implement ID3v2 at all, so its sort of a moot point.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349259"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ummmm, well, it does exactly what I needed it to do, namely, use Replaygain on MP3 files with the Rockbox firmware.  I don't really care if it's the "right way".  It works for this specific application.  Again, thanks to Nemo.

Replaygain

Reply #8
Sane or not, it freaking works!!  And, it works with the Rockbox firmware.  Thanks Nemo7538.  It works perfectly.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349255"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second that!
I have my entire mp3 collection with ID3v1 + ID3v2, and they all have the replaygain applied to ID3v2 tag.
As you said... It works perfectly.
muaddib

Replaygain

Reply #9
It always amazes me that people will run down ID3V2 for being nonstandard and then recommend using APE tags on MP3 files.

Replaygain

Reply #10
I know very little about tag standards, but I have all my files tagged with ID3v1 and ID3v2 and replaygain applied to ID3v2 too.  I have no problems with this, and everything works exactly as I want it to.

So, my question for those of you saying there is no "sane" or proper way to implement ID3v2 tags is how is this wrong?  What is a "better" way to do this?  Are APE tags better in someway, or better implemented? Please explain... or post a link that might explain this to me.  thanks in advance.

Replaygain

Reply #11
The problem is that id3v2 is quite ambigious in practice..... in some cases, different versions of it arent even backwards compatible(thus, different id3v2-revisions of the standard being incompatible with each other). It's like metadata-jokeying - you try to get it to work most of the time *someway* as by magic - but in many cases, there is no clear AND widely supported way to do something specific...
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Replaygain

Reply #12

Wrong !

Mp3 is very outdated.

I'd use APEv2 if iTunes, my iPod and pretty much every other audio apps out there supported it. Only support in iTunes would make me think about using it, since its a much better format but it aint supported by anything except foobar2000 as far as I know (and probably the little tagging application which is I believe called tag.exe).

Replaygain

Reply #13
I'd use APEv2 if iTunes, my iPod and pretty much every other audio apps out there supported it. Only support in iTunes would make me think about using it, since its a much better format but it aint supported by anything except foobar2000 as far as I know (and probably the little tagging application which is I believe called tag.exe).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349434"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are basically right, but your details are wrong. You are underestimating the existing support for APEv2. Its not widespread, right - but it also isn't as exotic as you asume.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.