Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Max - cdparanoia + lame / ogg / flac for MacOS X (Read 15719 times) previous topic - next topic

Max - cdparanoia + lame / ogg / flac for MacOS X

I found this new software for OS X - it's called Max and it's available at http://sbooth.org/Max/ for free.

It's something that I've been looking for for a long time and so I figured maybe some of you might have been wanting something like it for OS X too!

It's basically a nice front end to cdparanoia + lame/ogg/flac/aac and seems to be updated and getting better every week.

Official description:
Max (Macintosh Audio for OS X) is a Mac OS X application for creating high-quality audio files in various formats from compact discs.

Max features an error-correcting audio extraction process using cdparanoia to ensure the data from your CD is faithfully extracted.

Once the audio is extracted, Max can generate audio in over 20 compressed and uncompressed formats including MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAVE.

Max leverages open source components and the resources of Mac OS X to provide extremely high-quality output. For example, MP3 encoding is accomplished with LAME, Ogg Vorbis encoding with libVorbis, FLAC encoding with libFLAC, and AAC and Apple Lossless encoding with Core Audio. Many PCM conversions are also possible using Core Audio and libsndfile.

Max is integrated with FreeDB to permit automatic retrieval of compact disc information. For MP3, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis files Max will write this metadata to the output.

Max allows full control over where output files are placed and what they are named.

For advanced users, Max allows control over how many threads are used for encoding, what type of error correction is used for audio extraction, and what parameters are used for each of the various encoders.

Max is free software released under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Reply #1
Has anyone tried this app?

I've checked it out myself and if it produces better quality rips than my current setup (iTunes Lame) I'd be happy to carry on using it.

I have read that cdparanoia doesn't work with drives that cache audio. I have a powerbook with a Matshita UJ-816, I don't know if this drive does cache, anyone know if it does?. If cdparanoia doesn't work with my drive, are there any other benefits of producing my rips with this app, or would I be just as well sticking to ripping my current setup?

Reply #2
I have read that cdparanoia doesn't work with drives that cache audio.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe the developer of Max would be interested in implementing the techniques used in [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=38418]Pyripper[/url].
That way it would not matter much if your drive cached audio, Steven

Reply #3
I have read that cdparanoia doesn't work with drives that cache audio. I have a powerbook with a Matshita UJ-816, I don't know if this drive does cache, anyone know if it does?. If cdparanoia doesn't work with my drive, are there any other benefits of producing my rips with this app, or would I be just as well sticking to ripping my current setup?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352074"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't speak to drive specifics, but Max uses the raw disk nodes that bypass the buffer cache, so cdparanoia should work as advertised.

Reply #4
That'll do me. Nice work. 

Reply #5
I can't speak to drive specifics, but Max uses the raw disk nodes that bypass the buffer cache, so cdparanoia should work as advertised.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352092"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can anybody explain this in terms I can understand? 

Thanks

Reply #6
This doesn't help, the caching problem occurs inside the drive.

Reply #7
This doesn't help, the caching problem occurs inside the drive.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352150"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ahh, I see your point.  I'm not sure if one can disable the hardware cache with OS X.  I will have to do some investigation...

Reply #8
Can I use this to convert Apple Lossless files directly to FLAC?  I downloaded it but there isn't any documentation AFAIK.

Reply #9
Can I use this to convert Apple Lossless files directly to FLAC?  I downloaded it but there isn't any documentation AFAIK.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352350"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The latest release of Toast (7.0.2) can perform this conversion.

Reply #10
I found this new software for OS X - it's called Max and it's available at http://sbooth.org/Max/ for free.

It's something that I've been looking for for a long time and so I figured maybe some of you might have been wanting something like it for OS X too!

It's basically a nice front end to cdparanoia + lame/ogg/flac/aac and seems to be updated and getting better every week.

Official description:
Max (Macintosh Audio for OS X) is a Mac OS X application for creating high-quality audio files in various formats from compact discs.

Max features an error-correcting audio extraction process using cdparanoia to ensure the data from your CD is faithfully extracted.

Once the audio is extracted, Max can generate audio in over 20 compressed and uncompressed formats including MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAVE.

Max leverages open source components and the resources of Mac OS X to provide extremely high-quality output. For example, MP3 encoding is accomplished with LAME, Ogg Vorbis encoding with libVorbis, FLAC encoding with libFLAC, and AAC and Apple Lossless encoding with Core Audio. Many PCM conversions are also possible using Core Audio and libsndfile.

Max is integrated with FreeDB to permit automatic retrieval of compact disc information. For MP3, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis files Max will write this metadata to the output.

Max allows full control over where output files are placed and what they are named.

For advanced users, Max allows control over how many threads are used for encoding, what type of error correction is used for audio extraction, and what parameters are used for each of the various encoders.

Max is free software released under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=349663"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sounds good, I'll check it out. I'm still wondering about the whole drive cache thing. Do you know if this program takes that into account? or what about pyripper? I've read that cdparanoia won't work as expected if ur drive caches audio, and almost all drives these days do have cache. Icouldn't find if mine actually caches audio though. I have an iBook g4 combo drive MATSHITA CD-RW  CW-8123 it say s 2mb of cache if anyone knows Thanks for the link

Reply #11
I'm still wondering about the whole drive cache thing. Do you know if this program takes that into account? or what about pyripper? I've read that cdparanoia won't work as expected if ur drive caches audio.

Read the whole of this thread jas1612, and you'll have an answer. 

Reply #12
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352350"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will be releasing version 0.5 within a week, which will allow conversion to/from all formats supported by Core Audio and libsndfile.

Reply #13
Is it possible for you to make this app Panther (10.3) compatible?

Reply #14
Is it possible for you to make this app Panther (10.3) compatible?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352657"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

YES PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEE

Reply #15
Hi sbooth

Looks very nice. Could be what I am waiting for. 

Unfortunately I cannot encode. I get:
"Input / Output Error
Unable to create the output file. (13:Permission denied) [/Users/me/Development/Max/RipperTask.m:56]"

Any idea?

Thanks

Reply #16
Couple of ideas that would let me switch to it:

1) Allow you to do a CUE sheet and 1 large FLAC file when ripping an album.
2) Allow you to apply ReplayGain (title and album) to that file.
3) Allow you to encode from the ReplayGained FLAC file to mp3 (foobar does this and it is fantastic, as in my car my adapter to connect to the iPod doesn't allow SoundCheck to be used).
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #17
Unfortunately I cannot encode. I get:
"Input / Output Error
Unable to create the output file. (13:Permission denied) [/Users/me/Development/Max/RipperTask.m:56]"
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352690"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You might check what is set as your output directory and make sure you have write access.

Reply #18

3) Allow you to encode from the ReplayGained FLAC file to mp3 (foobar does this and it is fantastic, as in my car my adapter to connect to the iPod doesn't allow SoundCheck to be used).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352696"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

These are on the TODO list, probably for version 0.6.

Reply #19

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352696"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

These are on the TODO list, probably for version 0.6.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352935"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent, do this and you get a pernament user out of me!
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #20
I am happy to announce that Max version 0.5 is released!

New features:
  • Audio can be generated from pre-existing files in addition to CDs
  • Multiple CD tracks can be encoded to a single file
  • AAC/Apple lossless files are now tagged with metadata
  • VBR mode enabled for AAC encoder
  • Parameters for FLAC/Ogg FLAC encoders are configurable
  • User-friendly interface added for MP3 encoder
  • Simultaneous audio extraction from multiple CD drives now possible
  • Integrated with Services menu to allow encoding from other applications

Bug fixes:
  • Fixed multithreaded issue in logger that caused crash if log saved during active ripping/encoding
  • Fixed bug where track selection checkbox could stay disabled when rip was stopped

Reply #21
Thanks a lot for this great application!
Finally we have a secure and easy to use cd ripper on Mac OS X.

One small question. I ran 'strip' on the Max main executable and it shaved of 10MB (13439760  -> 3046852). Any good resons that I, or you, should not strip it? 

Reply #22

Would really love to be able to use this on 10.3.9 (panther)

Reply #23
Thanks for the update. 

A couple of questions, does the lame "Transparent" setting use the -V 2 --vbr-new switch?

Also, what should the "Save encoder settings in comment" check box do? I assumed it would put the switch setting in the mp3 comment field, but when I imported the mp3s into iTunes there was no comment, and in the summary dialogue box the "Encoded with" field showed "Unknown". The tracks also imported with the track number as part of the track name.

When I uncheck the "Save encoder settings in comment" box, everything works as the previous version.

Cheers.

Reply #24

Would really love to be able to use this on 10.3.9 (panther)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355104"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I started looking into this, but I use the DiskArbitration framework which doesn't seem to be available in 10.3.  It may be available as a private framework that I could use, but I have not gotten that far yet.

In any case, this is something I am looking into.