Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bizarre MP3 Corruption? (Read 9168 times) previous topic - next topic

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Apparently, one of my mp3 files has become totally corrupted in the strangest way!

I rip all my CDs as mp3s, and up until it was full, put them onto an external hard drive. Now they're just going on my laptop's hard drive until i have enough money to buy a massive external hard drive.

I think that the current 40GB external drive i have is dying, so i don't know if that could cause this error.

I was listening to the Rolling Stones track Saint of Me using Foobar2k 0.8.3. Suddenly it turned into a Nine Inch Nails song i have, and turned back into the Rolling Stones track. A little bit of experimentation later, and it seems that this is now part of the mp3. It wasn't always like this, because i have listened to the RS track several times in the past with no problem. It happens two other times in the file, and both times it turns into completely different songs.

What could have caused something like this?

EDIT: One other thing i forgot to mention was that the Nine Inch Nails file is unaffected.

Check out the sample here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=40287

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #1
It could be as simple as that:

Your external HDD suffers from file system corruption (happened to me before with a crappy RaidSonic USB enclosure) ... try to run chkdsk x: /F /V /X to check for errors if you run XP or 2K
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #2
It could be as simple as that:

Your external HDD suffers from file system corruption (happened to me before with a crappy RaidSonic USB enclosure) ... try to run chkdsk x: /F /V /X to check for errors if you run XP or 2K
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354312"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure, i'll give that a shot, thanks.

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #3
I forgot ... x: is the drive letter your system assigned to the external drive ... sorry
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #4
I forgot ... x: is the drive letter your system assigned to the external drive ... sorry
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354315"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Haha, don't worry, i knew that

I did the scan, and went downstairs, and then it finished, but it closed the console, so I have no idea what the report was.

I do remember at the beginning it said it was deleting bad...somethings, it wasn't sectors, but i can't remember the word right now 

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #5
If you want to check the integrity of your drive (I suggest you should) then download spinrite

It is impressive.

watch these two video's if you're not convinced.

http://www.grc.com/sr/themovie.htm

-Joe

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #6
I had the same problem a couple months ago, but with videos. IIRC, it was corrupted MFT. chkdsk didn't really help, as it simply deleted all affected files. Spinrite may be a better choice.

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #7
Actually, in this case, Spinrite wouldn't be able to fix your problem.  Spinrite's purpose is to fix any hard-drive related problems, like bad sectors, surface errors, etc.  It does NOT recognize the file system in place on the hard drive.  Since the MFT is a component of NTFS, Spinrite can't do anything about it.  Maybe Diskpatch would be better suited for your problem.

You can find it here.

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #8
That happened to me as well, very spooky thing happened, I converted a Way Out West DJ set MP3 file to WMA using dbpoweramp and the whole thing had totally different tracks but was still in the electronic genre, so I thought mmm, I will convert it back to MP3, guess what it went back to it's original state.  I tried converting to WMA again and the same thing happened.  Weird eh!
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #9
Actually, in this case, Spinrite wouldn't be able to fix your problem.  Spinrite's purpose is to fix any hard-drive related problems, like bad sectors, surface errors, etc.  It does NOT recognize the file system in place on the hard drive.  Since the MFT is a component of NTFS, Spinrite can't do anything about it.  Maybe Diskpatch would be better suited for your problem.

You can find it here.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355526"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I for one would avoid anything written by Steve Gibson (The author of SpinRite). He generally lies about everything - including what SpinRite can do. Aaaaanyway, the only useful thing that SpinRite can do is to tell you whether your hard drive is dying. Despite Mr. Gibson's claims, SpinRite CANNOT magically fix your drive and "reclaim" bad sectors. So, if SpinRite tells you that your drive has bad sectors, please get yourself a new one.

AFAIK, this is definitely a drive problem. I hope you had a backup of all your data. Good luck.

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #10
I for one would avoid anything written by Steve Gibson (The author of SpinRite). He generally lies about everything - including what SpinRite can do. Aaaaanyway, the only useful thing that SpinRite can do is to tell you whether your hard drive is dying.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356209"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where did you read/hear this? I've heard only good things about Steve Gibson and his software.

And yeah, the portable hard drive it's on has been making...interesting sounds for awhile now...i think there's something wrong with the enclosure, i just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, been very busy 

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #11
Steve Gibson is controversial, for sure.  You either love him or hate him.  I have never seen documented evidence that his software is effective.  But I am not sure I have seen any documented evidence that anyone's software can really fix serious problems.  Has anyone??    I would like to know as I would like to have it ready to prevent problems and fix existing ones.   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #12
Apparently, one of my mp3 files has become totally corrupted in the strangest way!

I rip all my CDs as mp3s, and up until it was full, put them onto an external hard drive. Now they're just going on my laptop's hard drive until i have enough money to buy a massive external hard drive.

I think that the current 40GB external drive i have is dying, so i don't know if that could cause this error.

I was listening to the Rolling Stones track Saint of Me using Foobar2k 0.8.3. Suddenly it turned into a Nine Inch Nails song i have, and turned back into the Rolling Stones track. A little bit of experimentation later, and it seems that this is now part of the mp3. It wasn't always like this, because i have listened to the RS track several times in the past with no problem. It happens two other times in the file, and both times it turns into completely different songs.

What could have caused something like this?

EDIT: One other thing i forgot to mention was that the Nine Inch Nails file is unaffected.

Check out the sample here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=40287
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354309"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This has happened to me while being sent me an mp3 file over MSN (friend insisted I sample some music unfamiliar to me at the time) and my computer crashed mid transfer to a BSOD. The crash turned out to be faulty hardware related, and I have now replaced the faulty graphics card. When I played what was transferred in Foobar after restarting, a few minutes into the file I heard audio from an mp3 I had deleted only minutes prior to the transfer.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Bizarre MP3 Corruption?

Reply #13
Steve Gibson is controversial, for sure.  You either love him or hate him.  I have never seen documented evidence that his software is effective.  But I am not sure I have seen any documented evidence that anyone's software can really fix serious problems.  Has anyone??    I would like to know as I would like to have it ready to prevent problems and fix existing ones.     [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356218"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well I did.

Got Gibson's SpinRite, and successfully retrieved data from a damaged 3.5" floppy.

Then a friend of mine's hard disk died. We managed to revive it, but some irreplaceble files got CRC errors. I put the drive in a Win98 system, boot from DOS, run SpinRite. Put it back to his computer, and now he managed to salvage 95% of the files, before the drive died again, for good.

So the utility goes into my Emergency CD (bootable into Linux, Win98, Win2000 and WinXP).