Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Best Way To Convert FLAC to MP3? (Read 9080 times) previous topic - next topic

The Best Way To Convert FLAC to MP3?

I have some FLAC files that I need to convert to MP3 so that I can play them on my DAP. I want to keep the original FLAC, and just make a MP3 copy.

Can this be done with EAC and LAME or do I need another program?

I did a search but I could not find the info I was looking for.

TIA

Reply #1
You can use the most awesome program ever! It does everything except give you a haircut (and i'm not so sure)!

Seriously, foobar2000
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #2
You can use the most awesome program ever! It does everything except give you a haircut (and i'm not so sure)!

Seriously, foobar2000
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358665"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hm... déjà vu

Reply #3
I've tried FB2K in the past and I don't really care for it that much (don't hate me).

Is that my only option?

Reply #4
Are the FLAC files tagged?

And if so do you want to keep the tags when you transcode?

foobar2000 would allow you to keep the tags, but so does dBpowerAMP Music Converter. Other than those options I don't know of any other way to transcode and keep the tags.

EDIT: I forgot about Frontah, it will transcode and keep the tags also. (and easy to use, relative to foobar2000)

If the tags didn't matter then you could use something as simple as BatchEnc or winLame.

It really depends on what you want to do.

Reply #5
dbPowerAmp sounds like a good call.  I've never used Frontah; I think I should give it a try.

Another option is to decode from FLAC and pipe to LAME, and then use Tag to copy the tags over.

You would use a command something like:

FLAC --decode --stdout file.flac | LAME -V2 --vbr-new - file.mp3

TAG --fromfile file.flac file.mp3
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
I too will recomend dBpowerAMP for this 
http://www.dbpoweramp.com
it makes transcoding way to easy
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #7
I don't know, I don't think it gets any easier than ALL2LAME or Multi FrontEnd.

Just drag&drop the files into the Window, choose a preset from a dropdown list, and hit GO.