Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BenQ DVD Writers (Read 5042 times) previous topic - next topic

BenQ DVD Writers

I wanted to get a BenQ DVD writer to replace my LITE-ON CD-RW unit and was wondering what you guys think about BenQ devices in general. The customer support guy from the store I went to today said that he doesn't recommend BenQ since a lot of people brought their units back because of failures. He told me that I should get an LG DVD writer, but according to some reviews I found on the Internet, the LG GSA-4166B is a pretty bad reader when compared to the BenQ DW-1655.
Now, I don't know if the guy told me that the BenQ units suck just because they are about 30 € cheaper than the LG he wanted me to buy or if he really is right. So, what's you experience with BenQ writers?

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #1
I've had my DW1640 for a month or two... no problems.

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #2
I can say that I installed a BenQ (DW 1620) on a friend's PC last August and it was December when the drive started to fail in DVD+-R burning.

In my opinion LG is more reliable than BenQ. Even if, in your case, BenQ DW-1655 has greater features (Solid Burn, Write Right Technology, Tilt Control, WOPC) than LG GSA-4166B.
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #3
I've had a DW1620 for several months. No problems ripping CDs or burning single and dual layer DVDs.

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #4
I have a 1640 and have had no issues for the few months I've had, and I've put it through a fair amount of work.

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #5
I can say that I installed a BenQ (DW 1620) on a friend's PC last August and it was December when the drive started to fail in DVD+-R burning.

In my opinion LG is more reliable than BenQ. Even if, in your case, BenQ DW-1655 has greater features (Solid Burn, Write Right Technology, Tilt Control, WOPC) than LG GSA-4166B.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=360833"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Every manufacturer produces the occasional duds, even LG.

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #7
I've happily had my 1620 for about 14 months now with no problems.  Will be upgrading to a 1650 when Newegg has them for a reasonable price.  There was a short run a little over a year ago when BenQ had some QA problems but that was cleared up quickly. 

There's a good reason that Plextor has even rebadged BenQs.  Great burn quality, well above average reader, excellent scanning abilities.  With BenQ firmware you get frequent updates and additional utilities.  Also, with a firmware hack, riplock can be removed.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #8
Also, with a firmware hack, riplock can be removed.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you look at the bottom of [a href="http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=16050&PageId=1]this[/url] page, the BenQ DW-1655 reported an average of 12.559 kb/s with the original firmware.

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #9
Lite-On drives are usually quite good. Especially reading some tougher copy protections. So you might consider adding and not replacing that drive.    As far as BenQ is concerned, I think they are the most reliable for that price. In fact, for the price I think they are great. I also own a Lite-On drive but wanted to add a DVD-RW drive (not replace), so I searched a lot in Google and from what I've read on different websites, BenQ are one of the best choice one can make. So I made it as well, I bought a BenQ DW-1655. Of course Plextor produce great drives as well but are a bit expensive. LG also produce some pretty nice drives (the LG GSA-4163B was a very good drive).

I know it could be a bit outdated but take a look here as CDFreaks is the website dedicated to CD and DVD drives I respect a lot:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135828
There is some general info about most brands. It may not be 100% accurate but it will give you a pretty good idea what each brand is capable of.
I hope I was able to help.

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #10
I have a BenQ DW1620 and no problems so far. At least 8 months old. Before that, i had a BenQ DW-800A, and after 2 or 3 months using it, it always aborted the burn with several Verbatim media i had, even different batches. After a battle with the store (MIX) that lasted 1 month (during which i was without a burner), they replaced it with a BenQ DW-822A. That still works well in a friend's PC now, and my 1620 that replaced it works well too. I must add that i burn at 8x maximum to get the best burn quality.

I would recommend a DW1640 without hesitation. 1640 because they updated the firmware more often, i think the 1655 wasn't even updated yet.

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #11
I have a BenQ DW1620 and no problems so far. At least 8 months old. Before that, i had a BenQ DW-800A, and after 2 or 3 months using it, it always aborted the burn with several Verbatim media i had, even different batches. After a battle with the store (MIX) that lasted 1 month (during which i was without a burner), they replaced it with a BenQ DW-822A. That still works well in a friend's PC now, and my 1620 that replaced it works well too. I must add that i burn at 8x maximum to get the best burn quality.

I would recommend a DW1640 without hesitation. 1640 because they updated the firmware more often, i think the 1655 wasn't even updated yet.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=360868"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info. The 1655 is pretty new, so that might be a reason why no firmware update is available yet. The major stores in Karlsruhe (Media Markt, Saturn, Arlt, K&M...) don't even have it. I found the 1655 as black, bulk version on the ProMarkt online shop for 57 € which is a reasonable price.

BenQ DVD Writers

Reply #12
RE: BenQ DVD Writers, Reliable?

Most definitely!
I'm a very happy owner of a nice DW1640, but don't take my world for it, just browse the CDFreaks.com forums: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92.
It's also been awarded their editor's chioce: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/226/11.

EDIT: Editor's chioce part.
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100