Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I can't convert files - what am I doing wrong? (Read 5708 times) previous topic - next topic

I can't convert files - what am I doing wrong?

Ok, people, I am seriously confused and frustrated.  I've been trying to get an  on-the-fly conversion to happen with foo_pod (bear with me, here - I'm not trying to be off-topic).  In searching for the problem, I discovered that I can't do a file conversion in fb2k (v.0.8.3.0), either (with one exception - see below).  I'll get some version of the following error message (in this case, trying to convert from FLAC to LAME - I've also tried to convert the same file to FAAC) -

INFO (foo_clienc) : CLI encoder: LAME.EXE
INFO (foo_clienc) : Destination file: file://C:\Documents and Settings\Ken.KEN-EG260PCW4NG\My Documents\My Music\foo_pod rips\001 The Beatles - Glass Onion.mp3
INFO (foo_clienc) : Source file: file://C:\Documents and Settings\Ken.KEN-EG260PCW4NG\My Documents\My Music\FLAC\Beatles, the\The Beatles (the white album)\disc 1\The Beatles - Glass Onion.flac
INFO (foo_clienc) : 44100Hz 24bps 2ch
ERROR (foo_clienc) : Unable to start LAME.EXE
ERROR (foo_diskwriter) : Conversion failed.
(I get a similar message when trying to convert to FAAC)

Now, if I understand this message correctly, it can't find the LAME encoder. I downloaded a copy of LAME 3.97b2.  What do I do with it?  I tried installing the lame_enc.dll into the components file, but that didn't seem to work.  I can't see any way to point the converter to the LAME.EXE.  Same thing w/FAAC. 

What further baffles me is that I can successfully convert to a WAV.  I could just do this, and then convert to LAME, but I thought I'd be able to go straight from FLAC (or Monkey's Audio) to either LAME or some version of AAC.  All this happens in a freshly-installed Special version of fb2k, BTW.

I've gone thru various threads, the wiki, and anything else I thought might be able to help - zip zero nada.  What am I missing here?
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Reply #1
You need a copy of lame.exe, and you need to put it where foobar2000 can access it. I put mine in "c:\program files\foobar2000\cli\".

If for some reason that doesn't work, or if you want to keep your lame.exe somewhere else, then you need to tell foobar2000 where it is. You should have a "Commandline Encoder: LAME --alt-preset standard" entry in your list of output presets. Select it and click [Edit]. When a settings window pops up, click [...] and select your copy of lame.exe. You can do this for each preset.

edit: It seems that with 0.8.3, you have to put lame.exe in your foobar2000 directory.

Reply #2
... You should have a "Commandline Encoder: LAME --alt-preset standard" entry in your list of output presets. Select it and click [Edit]. When a settings window pops up, click [...] and select your copy of lame.exe. You can do this for each preset....[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367626"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is what I was looking for.  It's working wonderfully now - thank you.
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!