Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: There Will Be No ASIO For 0.9? (Read 34512 times) previous topic - next topic

There Will Be No ASIO For 0.9?

I emailed Otachan asking when he could update his ASIO plugin to 0.9 spec and his reply was this:

Hi,

To our regret, there is no mechanism that adds the output
plug-in in foobar2000 0.9. It is impossible to make the
ASIO output plug-in for foobar2000 0.9.

The developer of foobar2000 seems not to want you to make
the output plug-in.

This is a shame, because I and many others need ASIO to make out cards work properly (most digidesign cards).  Wave/DirectSound output tends to make the sound drop out every so often, as these cards are not really supposed to be used as general sound cards.

Can anyone recommend another player for me?

Reply #1
Can anyone recommend another player for me?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372660"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

foobar 0.83?
Emu 1212m, PIV 2Ghz, ATI9550, WinXp, Debian Etch

Reply #2
Back to Winamp it is. Shame.

Reply #3
If there is no output plugin mechanism, how can the Kernel Streaming component for 0.9.0 work?  And couldn't ASIO alternatively be implimented as a DSP plugin that samples data and outputs it, instead of processing (albeit this is a rather hackish solution).

Reply #4
Nobody said that the output service type is gone; it just is not part of the SDK.

Reply #5
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372682"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Besides, the KS output is available for 0.9, and ASIO is an overglorified KS frontend anyway.
In Case Of Bose, Break Glass
Flac yuo in teh ASIO!

Reply #6
Nobody said that the output service type is gone; it just is not part of the SDK.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372695"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry I didn't get it. If it is not part of the SDK then it is gone. Or can you get it separately?
Liberate tutemae ex inferis

Reply #7
translate by babel fish

http://otachan.com/

Foobar2000 Ver. 0.9 came out. When you looked at SDK, it understood that the mechanism which adds output plug in is not prepared. Depending, we have decided to discontinue the development of the ASIO output plug in for foobar2000. Foo_out_ks.dll using secret API, is thought as the thing which actualizes output plug in, but this API is not described to SDK which is released generally. It makes output plug in, don't you think? it probably means being. As for foo_input_std.dll in addition to having become not be able to modify the MP3 decoder, the source file became secret. (To using the source file of GPL and LGPL? ) Leaving foo_ddecontrol.dll from foobar2000, the combining which extensively is withdrawal.... Once, plug in for old version is moved to the trash box. (3/20)

Reply #8
Rash: No, you cannot get it separately, but Peter still has it.

Reply #9
I dislike Winamp :-(  It's interface is just terrible.  Why would someone want to remove ASIO?  I understand not wanting KS, but usually if someone has ASIO drivers they know what they are doing.

Reply #10
I find Otachan's reaction to lack of output API in initial release of the 0.9 SDK to be somewhat hysterical... or so it looks like from the babelfish translation.
Anyway, it's his own decision to quit working on ASIO output, it's even less work for me this way - no more need to freeze the output API and spend my time on documenting it and integrating with the SDK properly.
In my opinion, current "output API" as used by the Kernel Streaming output is not ready for SDK inclusion and should not be used because of various design issues (flooding device list, no proper output switcher GUI) and will likely change with upcoming 0.9.X releases.
Besides, I might write a new ASIO output myself if I find enough free time and a test setup.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #11
"no proper output switcher GUI"  yeah, that one lost me for a while.  I hope you do find time to sort this out, I really do need ASIO output - it's not some kind of fad or sound quality issue.

Reply #12
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372682"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

same here. back to winamp. just used foobar because winamp had a bug with 32bit floating point wave-files. this bug is fixed in the latest versions.

love otachan's asio-output plugin!

Reply #13
The output plug-in can be made with foobar2000 0.9.1. When
foobar2000 0.9.1 is released, the developer of foobar2000
or I will release an ASIO output plug-in.

sounds good, as i really hate the winamp-gui. i hope that otachan will do the plugin, because he has good knowledge now about asio-output-programming (and all the related problems).

Reply #14
To all of those who suddenly feel the need to go back to Winamp:  EWW! 
In Case Of Bose, Break Glass
Flac yuo in teh ASIO!

Reply #15
back to winamp instead of 0.8.3 ? :/

Reply #16
Yes.  Old software is never a good idea.

Reply #17
Yes.  Old software is never a good idea.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373265"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

winamp is new???

Reply #18
I think you miss my point somewhat.  If I use an old version of FB I will continually bump into plugins and formatting that I cannot use with the old version.  If I have any problems I can't report them either.

Reply #19
Basically I'd stick to 0.8.3 before 0.9 gets its own ASIO plugin, despite compatibility and formatting problems and all.
It's really a sound quality issue - sound under KS mode sucks the big time...

Still looking forward to 0.9.1, when Otachan would release his version of ASIO plugin.

Reply #20
Basically I'd stick to 0.8.3 before 0.9 gets its own ASIO plugin, despite compatibility and formatting problems and all.
It's really a sound quality issue - sound under KS mode sucks the big time...

Still looking forward to 0.9.1, when Otachan would release his version of ASIO plugin.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373444"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I am sure you can hear the difference between different modes... Congrats!
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #21
kill me, I can hear the difference...
I'm using external DAC (Burr-Brown PCM 2702 // Analog Devices AD8066)..
That kicks ass pretty much...

Don't know if windows driver for USB Speaker is buggy or sth, but still I can hear a difference...

Reply #22

Don't know if windows driver for USB Speaker is buggy or sth, but still I can hear a difference...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373488"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i'm using a benchmark dac 1, mcintosh mc250, and klipsch la scalas modified with an upgraded ALK crossover, and replaced k400/k55 (midrange horn/driver) with altec 511bs and altec 902s

i hear no difference.

Reply #23

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373488"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, my listening gnomes also hear difference between KS and ASIO... Wait, no they don't.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #24
hehe, very funny ;D
why do you need different kinds of outputs then...?