Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Infima - Massive Copyright violation (Read 89854 times) previous topic - next topic

Infima - Massive Copyright violation

We would like to introduce you to a new Compression Technology named LAN (patent pending) which aims to offer good compression ratio's for most data types (Images, Audio, Video, Texts), a first beta version for our first product (Infima Archiver) is available at www.myinfima.com.

Thanks. 

Nir Halowani
CTO, Infima Technologies

Reply #1
On his website:

Below are the results of comparison between Infima new Audio format and the competitors (no quality loss).
Original File: Audio CD Quality (80 MB).

Format   Size of File   
Infima ALAN Format   32.0 MB   
WMA Lossless (WindowsMediaAudio)   42.5 MB   
WavPack   44.2 MB   
Apple iTunes Lossless   45.0 MB   
Real Audio Lossless (.ra)   46.0 MB

I'd like to see encode / decode times.

Reply #2
This are the results for a full album including encoding/decoding times:

Please note the archiving utility is a beta version and we will appreciate all of your feedbacks....

Below are the results of compressing all Album files.
Original size: 650 MB

Comp Time Decomp Time

infima Ultra 324.5 MB        (51.1%) 04:01            03:45
infima Maximum 338.3 MB (48.0%) 02:11            02:04
infima Normal 347.9 MB    (46.5%) 02:10          01:25
infima Fastest 356.9 MB    (45.1%) 01:30          01:27

Reply #3
You know that your website's claims do not look credible at all, don't you?

Reply #4
compression ratio for MP3: 56% ?!

Reply #5
You know that your website's claims do not look credible at all, don't you?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379013"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope the beta version will provide some answers to your doubts

Reply #6
Very hard to believe.

From the website:

"Generating world best ratio's for all data types."

How to make this?

Hire the leading developers in all areas (audio, video, ...)? And they all have a simultaneous breaktrough?

Or the invention of an absolutely basic new compression method, that would be enormous helpful in all areas?

Sorry, but it really would be a wonder.

By the way: How long will it take, until i receive the email with the download link for the evaluation copy? Server break down because of too heavy demand?

I wouldn't deny the possibility, that i am wrong. Then i will excuse me.

Thomas

Reply #7
I've just downloaded the file (16M) for evaluation; can't test it at the moment.

Reply #8
lot of readers, has anyone tried it yet? I know I don't believe it. Where are the press releases on all the other tech sites? No independent 3rd party reviews available?

guruboolez, how about posting the file on yousendit.com with the link here. I dont want to give them a real email addy.

Reply #9
guruboolez, how about posting the file on yousendit.com with the link here. I dont want to give them a real email addy.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379023"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure that the software license allow it.

Reply #10
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379023"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure that the software license allow it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379026"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well, have you tested it yet then. Shouldnt take to long to see if it works at all. Especially with claims as dramatic as theirs.

Reply #11
well, have you tested it yet then. Shouldnt take to long to see if it works at all. Especially with claims as dramatic as theirs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379028"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I downloaded on a computer which isn't mine (I'm at work). I'm not allowed to install a software without permission. Sorry. I must wait this evening. Tomorrow, HA.org will be off-line and I won't be able to post results :/

Reply #13
"General Error Out of memory"

Evidently 2 GB is below the requirements 

Reply #15

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379035"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can you please give us some more information regarding the problem, at what stage? what file was tested? what OS?

10x in advance

Reply #16
As I would have guessed. The beta does nothing. Did you make sure to run a good virus check on it before and after the install?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379036"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The beta is not fake but there might be problems since this is the first version

Reply #17
Ok, so what about that direct link? No email address from me with ZERO evidence. Is it against the liscense for others to post a direct link?

Reply #18
compression ratio for MP3: 56% ?!

i thought about this too, and the claims for jpg as well but
it's possible to recompress those filetypes for example if
you decode the huffman-values and recode them with
a more sophisticated coder. don't know if something
like this is used

Reply #19
Same annoncement in comp.Compression.

And same Problems:

No EMail link for download or same error  "General Error Out of memory".

At least this compressor gives reproducable results.

Thomas

Reply #20

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379035"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can you please give us some more information regarding the problem, at what stage? what file was tested? what OS?

10x in advance
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379037"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Downloaded the full version with all plugins; tried to run from the desktop shortcut created; got the error message. Windows XP SP2.

Ok, so what about that direct link? No email address from me with ZERO evidence. Is it against the liscense for others to post a direct link?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379043"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would post it if I could, but there's an apparently unique user code associated with the download URL.

Reply #21
I think the claim is saying that you are dropping the file in a "zip" or "rar" compression algorithm and compressing the mp3 to 56% of the original size - this would be a huge breakthrough, but you don't even see these claims on any other news sites or anything. You see cliams like this all the time. Not usually with any betas, but then again no one can get the beta to run. Little late for april fools day.

Reply #22
Its certainly not lossless. Its also very slow (~15 minutes to encode an album)
I decoded some FLAC's to WAV and then encoded them with Infima with the best compression settings. Decoded them and used foobar's bit compare tool to check the files.
Original size of files: 395 Mb
Compressed size: 85.3 Mb
But when using the bit compare tool:
Comparing:
"C:\Tom\Dexys Midnight Runners\Searching For The Young Soul Rebels\07 - I Couldn't Help If I Tried\01 - Burn It Down (Dance Stance).wav"
"C:\Tom\Dexys Midnight Runners\Searching For The Young Soul Rebels\Searching For The Young Soul Rebels\01 - Burn It Down (Dance Stance).wav"
differences found: 22562774 sample(s), starting at 0.9851474 second(s), peak: 0.0156250 at 57.0338776 second(s), 1ch

And its the same for all the tracks, they all have differences.

Reply #23
At least his claim isn't like storing 30mins of crystal clear NTSC video on a floppy disk. This had to be the stupidest compression breakthrough claim ever.

Reply #24
At least his claim isn't like storing 30mins of crystal clear NTSC video on a floppy disk. This had to be the stupidest compression breakthrough claim ever.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Recall Jan Sloot's technology with its claims to store all the movies of the world onto one CD.  That is truly unthinkable.
Concerning the topic: I can't reach [a href="http://www.myinfima.com/]http://www.myinfima.com/[/url] at all