Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fb9 and DISC/ DISCNUMBER / TPOS tags (Read 4555 times) previous topic - next topic

fb9 and DISC/ DISCNUMBER / TPOS tags

It seems foobar (9.1) has a special treatment for DISCNUMBER tags.

I loaded a 2cd album ("She Who Dwells In The Secret Place Of The Most High Shall Abide Under the Shadow of the Almighty" by Sinéad O'Connor),
clicked properties, and added a DISCNUMBER tag, as APEv2+id3v1.
I checked the file (hexa editor) and it turns out the APE tag was actually written as 'DISC'

My understanding is that foobar considered 'DISCNUMBER' to mean 'DISC' in that context (maybe APEv2 defines DISC as the standard tag, instead of DISCNUMBER for flac tags..).

1. Is there any list of all the similar mappings foobar is applying to tag names ? It would really be useful to make the whole voodoo a bit more transparent.

2. When I convert the tags to id3v2.4 (by going into Tagging->MP3 tag types), it seems it writes an empty TPOS tag.
But then, if I add a 'DISC' tag, the whole TPOS frame is erased, and foobar writes a TXX "[Disc]" frame...

what's all the voodoo happening here ? and how can I have foobar just write a valid TPOS tag ?

Reply #3
If you see the tag as DISCNUMBER in the properties dialog, then this has nothing to do with field remappings - those only work on the titleformatting level. Tag writers/readers can perform their own remappings (I think there is also a DATE <-> YEAR mapping in the APEv2 code), the ones in the official components do this to present a common interface to tags, even if the underlying standards use different names for a particular purpose. Now, I'm not particularly sure what's the deal with DISC and DISCNUMBER on APEv2, since neither of them appears in the official field names for APEv2, but I think previous versions of foobar2000 used DISC, so the reason may be compatibility with those.

Reply #4
If you see the tag as DISCNUMBER in the properties dialog, then this has nothing to do with field remappings - those only work on the titleformatting level. Tag writers/readers can perform their own remappings (I think there is also a DATE <-> YEAR mapping in the APEv2 code), the ones in the official components do this to present a common interface to tags, even if the underlying standards use different names for a particular purpose.

I see. It makes a lot of sense, I can see the need for a common mapping, with all the varying tag names with all the formats out there...
Is there documentation on those mappings outside of the the sources of the official components ? (which arent accesible, are they ?)

Now, I'm not particularly sure what's the deal with DISC and DISCNUMBER on APEv2, since neither of them appears in the official field names for APEv2, but I think previous versions of foobar2000 used DISC, so the reason may be compatibility with those.

okay, but in the given context foobar added an empty TPOS frame, so it seems to me like a bug in the id3v2 implementation.
Or it's a side-effect of being run in wine. It would be surprising (only wine issues I've seen so far are GUI related), but I'll try running it natively on winXP see if it changes anything.

anyone else noticed issues with DISCNUMBER written as id3v2 ?

Reply #5
Okay, did compare runs of a fresh installed foobar 0.9.1 on winXP and on wine.

on wine, when I add a DISCNUMBER tag (as id3v2), it creates an empty TPOS frame (size 2, and both bytes are 0 :
Code: [Select]
000000c0  00 02 00 00 00 00 54 50  4f 53 00 00 00 02 00 00  |......TPOS......|
000000d0  00 00 54 50 45 31 00 00  00 12 00 00 03 53 69 6e  |..TPE1.......Sin|

And whence the Properties window just ignore the bogus TPOS frame, and does not display any DISCNUMBER tag.

On WinXP, it works correctly (adding a DISCNUMBER tag leads to a proper TPOS frame being added).

It's the first time I come across such a *non-GUI* problem with foobar under wine. This bugs me quite a lot more than GUI issues, since I'm mainly using foobar for tag processing...

Does anyone have an idea what that might be caused by ? or where I should report that and hope to get advice on fixes ?

Reply #6
Okay, did compare runs of a fresh installed foobar 0.9.1 on winXP and on wine.

I have just run accross the same issue. Foobar 0.9.2 under wine seems to remove the %disc% and/or %discnumber% tags, whilst on XP it does not. Same masstagger script, with the 'force prefered tagging scheme' set in advanced options to 1d3v1/id3v2.

Can't expect a fix, as it seems to be a wine problem, but if anyone knows a workaround I'd be interested to hear it.