Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album Art (Read 3690 times) previous topic - next topic

Album Art

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I did a search for this before and nothing came up, anyway is it possible to add Album Art into the Album list Panel, like a UI redesign? Is this hardcoded into Foobar and closed source or is it possible to code this?

I think it'd be a sweet idea, but would it be possible?

(Eeep, please don't flame me  )

Album Art

Reply #1
If you mean you want what you click in the album list to affect the album art panel, you can do that already. You just check 'Allow external control of cover art display'.

If you mean to actually add like cover thumb nails into the album list itself.... Then yeah, i guess it's possible. Both panels are open-source, so if somebody had the initiative i'm sure they could do it. I see two problems though:

(a) I don't know much about programming, but it's possible that the list control that album list uses won't support displaying GDI images or whatever (which i believe is what album art uses).

(b) I imagine it would be very slow, because it would have to go through and read every single piece of cover art you have for everything in your database all at once.
~

Album Art

Reply #2
If you mean you want what you click in the album list to affect the album art panel, you can do that already. You just check 'Allow external control of cover art display'.

If you mean to actually add like cover thumb nails into the album list itself.... Then yeah, i guess it's possible. Both panels are open-source, so if somebody had the initiative i'm sure they could do it. I see two problems though:

(a) I don't know much about programming, but it's possible that the list control that album list uses won't support displaying GDI images or whatever (which i believe is what album art uses).

(b) I imagine it would be very slow, because it would have to go through and read every single piece of cover art you have for everything in your database all at once.

I mean the second point. Also with point b) it could use a cache system. I use XnView alot and in one particular folder where I have a whole bunch of cg art in it (the folder has approx. 1500 jpgs) and it opens up instantly because of it's use of the cache. Even without the cache XnView will make a thumbnail and cache for each image and it takes milliseconds, it's extremely quick.

I'd love to see this in Foobar - it'd greatly improve the UI:

Album Art

Reply #3
I'd like to see something like this too, would make a great panel... Quodlibet does this very nice (but somewhat slow).