Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback problem with external Audigy 2 NX (Read 3631 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback problem with external Audigy 2 NX

Hi Developers.

I seem to have a problem with this very beta. It worked fine with beta 3. I have an external Audigy 2 NX.

This situation:
I'm running foobar and am listening to music.
Then I shut windows down to idle-state, without stopping playback. (not "standby")
After rebooting my Audigy 2NX isn't working anymore (this also happened with previous versions. It also happens if I would watch a video.. So this is a driverbug). That's why I have to close all applications, which possibly may have used the soundcard, when I switched to idle-state (usually only foobar).
After restarting foobar. I can't start playback by clicking on play, as it was in former versions. And I also know why. If I go to the preferences and Output the "USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX" isn't selected anymore. It is either empty, or switched to "Hochwertiges Bluetooth-Audio" (highfidelity bluetooth-audio). After switching back to the Audigy everything is fine again.

Can you help me with this?

Sorry, if my english isn't understandable enough!

edit: sorry. I just saw, that I was still using beta3!! A remark. This bluetooth-device was only installed recently. Does it matter, which audiodevice is set standard in windows?

Reply #1
My guess is that this is caused by the somewhat ephemeral nature of USB devices. It might be that your soundcard gets a different device ID after a reboot, apart from not being recognized directly at system start like internal devices.

A remark. This bluetooth-device was only installed recently. Does it matter, which audiodevice is set standard in windows?
Perhaps. Have you tried?

Reply #2
Hi foosion!
Thank you for your answer. I indeed tried to switch the audiodevices in windows. My audigy is now my standard.

This time it seemed to work! (close foobar, restart foobar, and everything's fine)

Reply #3
did you try to update your drivers? there was a firmware update some time ago, as i recall. if i´m not mistaken, it was for users, who installed ServicePack2.

but if the former tip works for you, this post of mine may be obsolete 
marlene-d.blogspot.com

Reply #4
Well..
Cavaille, thanks for your post. I have all the latest drivers and firmwares installed, as far as I know.
I tested a little more.

It indeed only works, as long as I have the soundcard set to standard in windows. This is unfortunatelly not the optimal situation for me, since I'd rather like all other sounds been put out to the notebook speakers.

So here a request:
Developers, would please you consider overworing the initialization of foobar and thus check for an audiodevice with the same caption, if the ID has changed/isn't available any longer.

I know that this is not foobar's failure. Though it would be very nice!

Thank you!

Reply #5
I retested with 0.9.2 beta 5.
This behaviour is still persistent.
I don't know, whether you had a look at it (it at least wasn't mentioned in the changelog).

Reply #6
For what it's worth, I'm using an Audigy NX 2 with beta 5 as well and haven't had any problems yet.

Reply #7
Even with setting the computer to hibernate-mode?

Reply #8
I ofcourse retested it with 0.9.2 final. I even reinstalled the audigy software and drivers for several times. The problem still persists.
This evening I did some further testing.
Imagine this scenario. Foobar is playing. I shut down the audigy 2 nx by pressing the on/off button. Playback is stopping.
Restarting foobar while the audigy is still of in "output-preferences-page" no entry is selected (this is ok).
I thought, that on hibernating windows the audio-driver might shut down in prior to foobar and thus might mess something up?! I don't know, how I could analyse my problem further.

Any ideas?