Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 2 Kernel Streaming Output Plugin (Read 439017 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 2 Kernel Streaming Output Plugin

Reply #150
*Error!*
"Unable to create output pin"

why so?
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

Reply #151
*Error!*
"Unable to create output pin"

why so?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364867"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Hyperion, this can happen for lots of reasons, I need more information about what you were doing, what sort of files you were playing, what other programs were running at the time, what plugins you are using in conjunction with KS and so on.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #152
When I play a song and let it play to the next song, the current time display and slider posiiton don't start at 0:00 for the new track, it starts at where the first track left off.  For example a 0:40 track followed by a 6:23 track.  The first track will play and gaplessly transition to the second track, but the current time display will read 0:40, 0:41 etc when the second track starts to play and continue up.  The posiiton slider also is in the poition it should be for 0:40, 0:41, but the sound is only one or two seconds into the track. This dosn't seem to happen when turning gapless mode off.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364440"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Philly4, that's not a problem I'd seen before. I've just converted a couple of tracks to FLAC and sure enough, it is happening, but only with FLAC material. I would guess that the FLAC decoder isn't behaving in the same way as the other ones I normally use (Wavpack, WMA, WAV and so on). When I get  a minute I'll have a look at this in the debugger and see if I can sort it out.

Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #153
I get the "unable to create output pin" error. KS works fine with foobar2k so I was a little surprised. Here's some info about my environment.

Soundcard: M-Audio Revolution 5.1
Windows 2000
Winamp 5.13, no additional plugins

Tried it after a clean reboot without any additional programs running. Tried with mp3, wav, flac and CD-audio. It turns out that CD-audio works, although i get the error but after click on OK it start's playing. With the other formats it just stops. Another interesting thing, if I try foobar2k after Winamp I get "KS output error: error opening device" and it can only be fixed with a reboot.
In the readme it says select another device if this error appears but there's only one selection, maybe that's the problem? Also tried the old plugin and it crashed winamp.

Reply #154
I get the "unable to create output pin" error. KS works fine with foobar2k so I was a little surprised. Here's some info about my environment.

Soundcard: M-Audio Revolution 5.1
Windows 2000
Winamp 5.13, no additional plugins

Tried it after a clean reboot without any additional programs running. Tried with mp3, wav, flac and CD-audio. It turns out that CD-audio works, although i get the error but after click on OK it start's playing. With the other formats it just stops. Another interesting thing, if I try foobar2k after Winamp I get "KS output error: error opening device" and it can only be fixed with a reboot.
In the readme it says select another device if this error appears but there's only one selection, maybe that's the problem? Also tried the old plugin and it crashed winamp.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've just uploaded a test version [a href="http://tinyurl.com/7r2de]here[/url] (V3.51) that will give a little more information in the error message, if you'd like to try that and send me the results it may be helpful in getting to the bottom of this. You should now get two error messages, I'm interested in both of them. Note, this version is for testing only, the V3.5 plugin is still available at the usual address, i.e. here for anyone who needs it.

The error message you are seeing is a result of the sound card driver not being able to support the requested format for some reason. I get the same error with with my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 if I select "M-Audio Delta AP Mon. Mixer" as my output device, however, my card exposes three more interfaces, all of which work. If you can also send me the Output Device name as listed in the plugin config panel that may help too.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a sound card like yours or, for that matter, a Windows 2000 machine (mine are XP these days) so it may not be possible for me to fix this for you as I can't test it.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #155
I've just uploaded a test version here (V3.51) that will give a little more information in the error message, if you'd like to try that and send me the results it may be helpful in getting to the bottom of this. You should now get two error messages, I'm interested in both of them. Note, this version is for testing only, the V3.5 plugin is still available at the usual address, i.e. here for anyone who needs it.

The error message you are seeing is a result of the sound card driver not being able to support the requested format for some reason. I get the same error with with my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 if I select "M-Audio Delta AP Mon. Mixer" as my output device, however, my card exposes three more interfaces, all of which work. If you can also send me the Output Device name as listed in the plugin config panel that may help too.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a sound card like yours or, for that matter, a Windows 2000 machine (mine are XP these days) so it may not be possible for me to fix this for you as I can't test it.

Cheers,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365567"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the fast reply. This is what I get with the new version

Unable to create output pin on first/second attempt
Reason: Failed to instantiate Render Pin
Format Info: nChannels 2 Freq: 44100 Sample Size: 16

In other words first and second message identical. The output device name in the plugin just says "M-Audio Revolution". CD-audio shows the same messages but still works after they're clicked away. I hope this helps.

Reply #156
Hey Steve...

Here is the error I get...

'Unable to create output pin on first attempt
Reason: Could not find a render pin that supports the given wave format
Format info: nChannels 2 Freq: 44100 Sample size 24'

My Info:

Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1/24bit
Input Plugin: Shibatch mpg123 plug-in v1.18y ot99 SSE2

Trying to play Mp3's. No luck.

I followed instructions on below link and the Kernel output plugin mentioned there works fine for me...but none of the new ones...

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10324

Reply #157
Hey Steve...

'Unable to create output pin on first attempt
Format info: nChannels 2 Freq: 44100 Sample size 24'

My Info:

Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1/24bit
Input Plugin: Shibatch mpg123 plug-in v1.18y ot99 SSE2

Trying to play Mp3's. No luck.

I followed instructions on below link and the Kernel output plugin mentioned there works fine for me...but none of the new ones...

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10324
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365603"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Shaj, it's interesting that you say the Kernel Streaming plugin mentioned there works but mine doesn't, interesting because mine is a redevelopment of that one. The bit that generates the above error is actually in the same Microsoft sample code that both plugins are built on. The only divergence at this point in the process is that my code has been expanded to support 24 bit sources which I wouldn't have expected the old plugin to work with. I'll have a quick play around and compare my setup code to Chun Yu's just to see what I've done differently.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #158
Hi Shaj / Avellan,

I've just posted a new test version here (same place as last time) this is V3.52.

Let me know if this makes any difference for either of you guys. If you still get an error, you will only get one now.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #159
Hi Shaj / Avellan,

I've just posted a new test version here (same place as last time) this is V3.52.

Let me know if this makes any difference for either of you guys. If you still get an error, you will only get one now.

Cheers,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365624"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same error but as expected only one. Keep up the good work. Let's hope it pays off in the end.

Reply #160
Same error but as expected only one. Keep up the good work. Let's hope it pays off in the end.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365630"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmm, I suspected it might, that's a pity, although I do think it will sort out Shaj's problem. The fact that your card works with Foobar's kernel streaming is very curious, mind you I don't know if that has it's origins in the same Microsoft SDK sample code or not. I'll keep looking for a little while longer.

Regards,
Steve

Reply #161
hi Steve,

'Unable to create output pin on second attempt
Format info: nChannels 2 Freq: 44100 Sample size:16'
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,

Reply #162
Hmmm, I suspected it might, that's a pity, although I do think it will sort out Shaj's problem. The fact that your card works with Foobar's kernel streaming is very curious, mind you I don't know if that has it's origins in the same Microsoft SDK sample code or not. I'll keep looking for a little while longer.

Regards,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365635"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi again Steve.

I was so excited coz it played the first song I tried to...

that's when I realised I was playin an AAC file...

So I guess the output does work, but not with the mpg123 input plugin?

I'm basically gettin the same error, but with a slight difference...

now it says...

Format info: nChannels 2 Freq: 44100 Sample size 32'

Any ideas?

Reply #163
Hi again Steve.

now it says...

Any ideas?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365861"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey Shaj,

that's a shame. Can you confirm that it definitely workz playing mpg123 output with Chun Yu's original plugin? I'll have to double check, but my code should be falling back to the same sort of setup as his did if it fails on the first attempt.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #164
hi Steve,

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365715"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Hyperion, can you give me some information about your setup? Particularly;

what type of soundcard are you using?

what operating system are you running?

are you running any other programs at the same time?

Also, didn't you say in an earlier post that it worked fine? What has changed?

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #165
Hi again Steve.

now it says...

Any ideas?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Shaj, I stand corrected (see earlier post), I had made a mistake in my fallback code. If you download the test plugin again from [a href="http://tinyurl.com/7r2de]here[/url] (V3.53) hopefully it will work for you now. Please give it a go and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Steve

Reply #166
hi Steve,

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365715"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Hyperion, can you give me some information about your setup? Particularly;

what type of soundcard are you using?

what operating system are you running?

are you running any other programs at the same time?

Also, didn't you say in an earlier post that it worked fine? What has changed?

Cheers,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365871"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi Steve,
my info:
1. AC'97
2.WinXP Home SP2
3.yes. i 'm running word2000.exe

the error happened during the playback.
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,

Reply #167
Hi Shaj, I stand corrected (see earlier post), I had made a mistake in my fallback code. If you download the test plugin again from here (V3.53) hopefully it will work for you now. Please give it a go and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365881"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yippppppppppppe! It works!!! It finally works!!!

But I have a question...

you say it falls back to the same methods of the old kernel plugin?

Does that mean it's the same as usin the other plugin? or is urs still the more advanced one even after the fallback?

Thanks again Steve...

Reply #168
Yippppppppppppe! It works!!! It finally works!!!

But I have a question...

you say it falls back to the same methods of the old kernel plugin?

Does that mean it's the same as usin the other plugin? or is urs still the more advanced one even after the fallback?

Thanks again Steve...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366037"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, glad to hear it's finally working. I think you may have misunderstood me about the fallback. Be assured it's still working exactly the same as before, it's just some data used to set things up that has changed. What happens is this, when I create the output pin (a software component used to feed audio data out to the sound hardware) I have to create a data structure called a WAVEFORMATEX, this describes the type of audio data I will be sending to the pin and contains information such as the number of bits in a sample, samples per second, number of channels and so on. It seems that certain device drivers cannot handle a WAVEFORMATEX under certain circumstances, your driver being one of them. As a fallback, a second attempt is made to create the pin using a simpler data structure called a WAVEFORMAT instead.

In the original plugin, certain information of the WAVEFORMATEX didn't appear to be filled in correctly, something I rectified for this plugin, however, when the fallback occurs, the WAVEFORMATEX gets certain elements modified to turn it into a WAVEFORMAT and, comparing notes against the old plugin, I wasn't doing this correctly for anything above 16 bit samples (this is why the old plugin worked in this particular instance and mine didn't).

So, you see, the only thing that has changed is a bit of initialisation data, the plugin is still my complete rewrite (except for the Microsoft bits that do the really low level stuff which are common to both plugins although I did add a few bits and pieces to these so I could get some extra information out of them).

For the moment, you will find that the volume control wont work for the mpg123 plugin, this is because it's outputting 24 bit data in a format that my volume control code currently cannot handle, it's easy enough to fix, so hopefully I'll be able to sort it out and post an "official" release at the weekend which will contain a few other bug fixes (like the FLAC one mentioned earlier and a crash I've stumbled across that can occur when WMA files are paused).

Regards,
Steve

Reply #169
Hey, glad to hear it's finally working. I think you may have misunderstood me about the fallback. Be assured it's still working exactly the same as before, it's just some data used to set things up that has changed. What happens is this, when I create the output pin (a software component used to feed audio data out to the sound hardware) I have to create a data structure called a WAVEFORMATEX, this describes the type of audio data I will be sending to the pin and contains information such as the number of bits in a sample, samples per second, number of channels and so on. It seems that certain device drivers cannot handle a WAVEFORMATEX under certain circumstances, your driver being one of them. As a fallback, a second attempt is made to create the pin using a simpler data structure called a WAVEFORMAT instead.

In the original plugin, certain information of the WAVEFORMATEX didn't appear to be filled in correctly, something I rectified for this plugin, however, when the fallback occurs, the WAVEFORMATEX gets certain elements modified to turn it into a WAVEFORMAT and, comparing notes against the old plugin, I wasn't doing this correctly for anything above 16 bit samples (this is why the old plugin worked in this particular instance and mine didn't).

So, you see, the only thing that has changed is a bit of initialisation data, the plugin is still my complete rewrite (except for the Microsoft bits that do the really low level stuff which are common to both plugins although I did add a few bits and pieces to these so I could get some extra information out of them).

For the moment, you will find that the volume control wont work for the mpg123 plugin, this is because it's outputting 24 bit data in a format that my volume control code currently cannot handle, it's easy enough to fix, so hopefully I'll be able to sort it out and post an "official" release at the weekend which will contain a few other bug fixes (like the FLAC one mentioned earlier and a crash I've stumbled across that can occur when WMA files are paused).

Regards,
Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366102"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Awesome!

Hat's off to you Steve...

Reply #170
trying V3.5, doesn't work with my card.
"Error! Unable to create output pin" 

my soundcard:
Chaintech AV-710 (Envy24H-S), driver 5.00a

here are my foobar settings that work:
DSP, add Resampler
Resampler: 96000Hz, slow mode
output: Kernel Streaming -> go to settings.
Device: Envy24 Family Audio (WDM), Buffer length 1000ms
Output: 24bit fixed-point padded to 32bit.

I've even tried using a resampler plugin to resample to 96000Hz, but still the same error message.

Thanks in advance. 

Reply #171
trying V3.5, doesn't work with my card.
"Error! Unable to create output pin"  

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=369231"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried the test version (V3.53) linked in post #168? Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

For anyone waiting for the V3.6 release, it's still in the works but I've hit a problem getting the volume control to work with 24 bit audio in the fallback mode, so it will be delayed until I get a chance to resolve this issue.

Steve

Reply #172
Have you tried the test version (V3.53) linked in post #168? Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

Steve
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=369247"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

edit: ok, let me try.

Reply #173

Steve
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

edit: ok, let me try.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=369248"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok, I tried this ks353, and it works if I set my driver to 44.1kHz.

However, I need to use at least 96kHz or 192kHz for the better DAC (rear) found in AV-710.  So I tried using [a href="http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=144826]HQSoftProc Software Resampling v4[/url] , set it to 96000, press play in WinAmp, no error message, but does nothing (w/o err msg), stuck at 0:00.... so I'm not sure if this is the resampler bug or KS353...

Reply #174
ok, I tried this ks353, and it works if I set my driver to 44.1kHz.

However, I need to use at least 96kHz or 192kHz for the better DAC (rear) found in AV-710.  So I tried using HQSoftProc Software Resampling v4 , set it to 96000, press play in WinAmp, no error message, but does nothing (w/o err msg), stuck at 0:00.... so I'm not sure if this is the resampler bug or KS353...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=369251"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looking at your earlier post, this could be a packing problem. As far as I'm aware, the HQSoftProc plugin passes 24 bit data "as is" whereas, in your Foobar settings you are padding the 24 bit samples out to 32 bit.

My plugin uses one of two output modes, the first one it attempts will actually do this padding, unfortunately, for some reason, this mode is not supported on your card, so it falls back to an older, more widely supported mode that doesn't do the padding that your card appears to handle (although it refuses to run for some reason).

I can probably add an option to allow the packing in both modes (optional so it can be switched off if it causes problems on existing working setups). Once I've fixed the current problem (occasional data misalignment with 24 bit samples) I'll look at adding this.

Steve