Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5.25 beta preview (Read 62155 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #25
Huh, GPL is a viral license. That's why I hate it so much.

Anyways, somewhile ago I stumbled to a site listing the various open-source and/or free licenses (incl. GPL, LGPL, original BSD, modified BSD, MIT, etc.) nicely listing their origins, their effects, etc. etc. etc. but I can't seem to find it again.

If anyone knows the URL, do post here, for reference so that future free/open-source developer will not use a wrong license for their projects.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #26
Boy, I'd really like to see proper cuesheet support built into Winamp.  Can one feasibly expect that within the lifespan of my children?

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #27
Boy, I'd really like to see proper cuesheet support built into Winamp.  Can one feasibly expect that within the lifespan of my children?

There are many plugins that offer very good cue sheet support for Winamp. Is it that difficult to download a plugin and install it? Like 1% of the user population probably needs it, so why ship it when there are several plugins that adds support for it?
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #28
I haven't looked into it recently, but the last time I looked, there was only one really hokey plugin that opened an alternative playlist for cuesheets.  I wasn't particularily fond of how it worked, and that was a big reason why I almost completely switched to foobar.  Would you be so kind as to provide me with names, and even links, if possible, to what you think are very good plugins for cuesheets?  I'd appreciate it.

Until foobar gets a CD+G player for karaoke, though, I'm stuck with winamp for some things.  Winamp is also a good video player, of course.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #30
Hey, that works pretty good.  Much, much better than MP3Cue.  Thanks for the tip!

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #32
Hi, DJ-Egg:

Which is better,  in_mp3.dll(v3.6) OR in_!mpg123.dll(v109.2)?
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #33
Previous beta crashes when calling

c:\blah\winamp.exe /UNREG

Which is done in the uninstaller

And in the new Beta that "accurate information" is still default for the MP4 HE AAC encoder.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #34
Finally, Unicode support... I had believed this would never happen.
Are there plans for supporting APEv2 R/W one day?

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #35
For now I think that they will try to get IDv2.4 support finished (whatever is missing there). But it is in the winamp wishlist, and it might be done at some point:
APE v2 tags support
Hopefully planned for a later release... we shall see

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #36
For now I think that they will try to get IDv2.4 support finished (whatever is missing there). But it is in the winamp wishlist, and it might be done at some point:

I believe ID3v2.4 is fully unicode and ready now but it is the Media Library that's still missing some unicode functionality. At least, that's what the thread on the Winamp support forum seems to suggest.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=251985
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #37
Hi, DJ-Egg:

Which is better,  in_mp3.dll(v3.6) OR in_!mpg123.dll(v109.2)?

If you want Replaygain or APE tag support: in_!mpg123.

Otherwise they should be about similar now.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #39
Drats!  A new build juuuuuuuuuust after I finished downloading the previous build.

Oh well...

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #40

No FLAC support yet? Aww durn.

Well, in the meantime... there seems to be 2 FLAC input plugins, one FLAC's official, another one (earlier) has support for ML. Which one do you recommend to use?

The one with ML support is the latest version of FLAC 1.1.2 modified with ML support. It is fine and the one I recommend, but I sure wish FLAC support with ML was built into WinAMP by default so all my song listeners could download WinAMP without having to go find and install an add-on FLAC filter....

Anyway here is the link to the better FLAC input playback filter (ie. better than the "official one" which has no ML support). Note: The author also puts out a FLAC encoder too, which is also available separately on his site:

http://www.facquet.com/en/projects-4/winam...ownload-78.html

We would like FLAC support, but although the FLAC library is under a BSD licence, the orginal FLAC plugin is under the GPL (and hence the updated one with ML support also has GPL'd code in it). We can't include GPL code in winamp for obvious reasons.

If the FLAC guys could put that code under the same BSD licence as the FLAC library, then we'd LOVE to include it in winamp. But until they do, we can't.

Will (winamp dev)

Thanks for this explanation about the problem with adding FLAC support to WinAmp.

Hopefully, Josh Coalson (the FLAC developer) will see this post and choose to contact you to change the license from GPL to BSD to meet your needs of including the FLAC plug-in built into WinAmp.

just saw this thread... yep, I will try to get this resolved by the next release.

Josh

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #42
I give up

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #43
Meaning that "accurate" information is still the default?

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #46
Aha!  That's a sign for me not to download the latest build yet...

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #47
Next build will have backwards compatible set by as always-enabled.

Additionally, the file info box (Alt+3) logic has been changed to read the extension audio object, if it's present, from the decoder config.  This will solve the problem where HE-AAC files were showing as AAC LC.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #48
Additionally, the file info box (Alt+3) logic has been changed to read the extension audio object, if it's present, from the decoder config.  This will solve the problem where HE-AAC files were showing as AAC LC.

I really hope that you fix that annoying bug. I want to see that Winamp 5.25 Final play Nero HE-AAC files correctly. Currently, Winamp says that Nero HE-AAC file is actually LC-AAC.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #49
Build 834

Winamp 5.25 Beta Full
Winamp 5.25 Beta Pro (asks for key during install)
Winamp 5.25 Beta Standard (same as Full but no ML or viz)
Winamp 5.25 Beta Lite

* Fixed: [in_mp4] detection of HE AAC in file info box (Alt+3)
* Fixed: [enc_aacplus] more compatible HE AAC MP4 file creation
* New: "Close Winamp" option after installation (when clicking 'Send' on final User Information screen)

5.25 beta specific bug fixes:
* Fixed: [in_mp3] decoding glitch
* Fixed: installer typo fix (necessary = neccessary)
* Fixed: [in_mp4] burning with 24bit output enabled