Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: linuxrip (Read 38871 times) previous topic - next topic

linuxrip

Reply #50
I ran "cdrdao scanbus" and the output was just some basic version info, so I ran "sudo cdrdao scanbus" and it gave me some more output.  Here's the whole thing.
Code: [Select]
reed@ubuntuedgy:~$ cdrdao scanbus
Cdrdao version 1.2.2 - (C) Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>
  SCSI interface library - (C) Joerg Schilling
  Paranoia DAE library - (C) Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.

reed@ubuntuedgy:~$ sudo cdrdao scanbus
Password:

Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'

ATA:1,0,0            HL-DT-ST, RW/DVD GCC-4242N, 0201
reed@ubuntuedgy:~$
Thank you so much for being so patient, Madman2003.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

linuxrip

Reply #51
I ran "cdrdao scanbus" and the output was just some basic version info, so I ran "sudo cdrdao scanbus" and it gave me some more output.  Here's the whole thing.
reed@ubuntuedgy:~$ cdrdao scanbus

reed@ubuntuedgy:~$ sudo cdrdao scanbus
Password:

Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'

ATA:1,0,0            HL-DT-ST, RW/DVD GCC-4242N, 0201
reed@ubuntuedgy:~$
Thank you so much for being so patient, Madman2003.

Is your user in the cdrom group, because this could very well be an acces problem?

linuxrip

Reply #52
Ubuntu has a "User Privileges" dialog for each user, and in that dialog, my user has "Use CD-ROM drives" checked.  In another place, I have a "Manage Groups" option that brings up a "Groups settings" dialog.  It lists all of the groups, and I don't see one called "cdrom."  I tried to add it manually, via a "Add Group" button on that dialog; I named it "cdrom," and it appeared on the list, abut after a reboot, it was gone again, and I'm still getting the same result for the rips.

Would it make a difference that I am currently ripping my tracks to individual files, rather than the whole cd to an image?  Because, at this point, I guess it doesn't really matter much to me which way I am ripping, as the sole purposes for my FLAC copies are to a)burn accurate physical cd copies (for use in the car mainly) and b)so I can easily re-encode to mp3's with different settings when needed.  But presently, I don't know of any Gnome-friendly applications that will do either of these tasks. 

linuxrip

Reply #53
Ubuntu has a "User Privileges" dialog for each user, and in that dialog, my user has "Use CD-ROM drives" checked.  In another place, I have a "Manage Groups" option that brings up a "Groups settings" dialog.  It lists all of the groups, and I don't see one called "cdrom."  I tried to add it manually, via a "Add Group" button on that dialog; I named it "cdrom," and it appeared on the list, abut after a reboot, it was gone again, and I'm still getting the same result for the rips.

Would it make a difference that I am currently ripping my tracks to individual files, rather than the whole cd to an image?  Because, at this point, I guess it doesn't really matter much to me which way I am ripping, as the sole purposes for my FLAC copies are to a)burn accurate physical cd copies (for use in the car mainly) and b)so I can easily re-encode to mp3's with different settings when needed.  But presently, I don't know of any Gnome-friendly applications that will do either of these tasks. 

There is a small difference between image ripping and normal, but the seperate file ripping should work (and is prefered/main system). Would you mind trying to run sudo linuxrip and see if the ripping does work, because if it does there's an acces problem.

linuxrip

Reply #54
There is a small difference between image ripping and normal, but the seperate file ripping should work (and is prefered/main system). Would you mind trying to run sudo linuxrip and see if the ripping does work, because if it does there's an acces problem.

sudo linuxrip brings me back to this:
reed@ubuntuedgy:~$ sudo linuxrip
Password:
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 49: device[1]=/dev/cdrom: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 52: deviceid[1]=ATA:0,0,0: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 55: drivename[1]=Drivename: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 133: ripper[1]=cdparanoia: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 134: ripper[2]=cdda2wav: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 180: driveoffset[1]=0: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 183: Syntax error: Bad substitution

linuxrip

Reply #55

sudo linuxrip brings me back to this:
reed@ubuntuedgy:~$ sudo linuxrip
Password:
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 49: device[1]=/dev/cdrom: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 52: deviceid[1]=ATA:0,0,0: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 55: drivename[1]=Drivename: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 133: ripper[1]=cdparanoia: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 134: ripper[2]=cdda2wav: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 180: driveoffset[1]=0: not found
/usr/bin/linuxrip: 183: Syntax error: Bad substitution

What are the permissions of /usr/bin/linuxrip?
('ls -l /usr/bin/linuxrip' output will do if you don't know how to find out)

linuxrip

Reply #56

reed@ubuntuedgy:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/linuxrip
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49858 2006-10-31 01:05 /usr/bin/linuxrip
btw, thanks for the idiot-friendly post.  I need things as simplistic as possible. 

linuxrip

Reply #57

reed@ubuntuedgy:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/linuxrip
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49858 2006-10-31 01:05 /usr/bin/linuxrip
btw, thanks for the idiot-friendly post.  I need things as simplistic as possible. 

I'm at a loss here. This is getting to a point were a "personal touch" is needed to figure this out.
These permissions are right, read+execute for everyone, write for root. If something comes to mind i'll post it here. It's like the root user doesn't know arrays, which is strange. I still believe permissions are the issue for the cue errors earlier.

linuxrip

Reply #58
New version, nfo no longer embedded into flac and ogg files. Log embedding is a choice, as is keeping the logs for lossy and/or lossless rips. It's all on by default, i recommend keeping at least one log somewere for lossless/storage rips.

Added support for postrip commands.