Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar doesn't remember the active song (Read 5254 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar doesn't remember the active song

New foobar200 user. Using ColumnsUI + foo_browser. I'm basically trying to get most of the same features and functionality of musikCube, which I've been using for quite awhile now.

When I activate a song in the *Browser* (library) playlist, it's highlighted, the correct timer is showing, and when the song is complete, foobar plays the next song in the list.

However, if I browse away from that playlist, foobar forgets which song it was playing. The track itself is still playing, but it is no longer highlighted, only the length is being displayed (instead of the time played/track length display that should be seen), and when the song finishes, foobar plays the first song in the playlist.

For example, look at this image:

Black Swan is playing, and the seekbar, statusbar and track_info_ui know it, but the playlist doesn't. When the song is finished, The Eraser will begin to play. Very frustrating, and I'm sure there is a way to fix it, I just don't know what to even search for.

Also, does foobar support dynamic playlists? In musikCube, and even Winamp now, you can set up playlists that will, for instance, display any albums added to the library in the past week, or any songs played more than three times in the past two weeks. Any pointers on this subject would also be appreciated.

Reply #1
Ugh, I'm having the same problem, only with Single Columns Playlist.

Reply #2
regarding the first issue:  I think that's intended behavior.  You're playing some song in a playlist, then you replace that playlist by browsing to a different artist/album in Browser.  Even though you see the same tracks as when you started playing, it's really a different playlist from foobar's point of view.  If I were you, I'd use one playlist for browsing, and when you want to play some tracks, move them to a "Now Playing" playlist.  I don't know if there's a feature in Browser to help with that.

regarding the second issue: check out the foo_autoplaylist component

Reply #3
Yes, this feature was there in 0.8 and gone in 0.9, as far as I remember, and I really miss it a lot. I think that this should be the intended behaviour.

Reply #4
Try foo_highlightplaying, this should fix your problem.

Cheers Lycox

Reply #5
regarding the first issue:  I think that's intended behavior.  You're playing some song in a playlist, then you replace that playlist by browsing to a different artist/album in Browser.  Even though you see the same tracks as when you started playing, it's really a different playlist from foobar's point of view.  If I were you, I'd use one playlist for browsing, and when you want to play some tracks, move them to a "Now Playing" playlist.  I don't know if there's a feature in Browser to help with that.

regarding the second issue: check out the foo_autoplaylist component

hmm thanks, but it is still behaving the same way for me. Are there settings for it?

I'm using foo_browser along with single columns playlist btw

Reply #6

Thank you! It's not perfect, but it is an improvement.
Quote from: gfngfgf link=msg=0 date=
regarding the first issue: I think that's intended behavior. You're playing some song in a playlist, then you replace that playlist by browsing to a different artist/album in Browser. Even though you see the same tracks as when you started playing, it's really a different playlist from foobar's point of view. If I were you, I'd use one playlist for browsing, and when you want to play some tracks, move them to a "Now Playing" playlist. I don't know if there's a feature in Browser to help with that.

I'm definately interested in this idea. What would be perfect is a constant "Now playing" playlist, and say I used Browser panels + playlist column to play a song from an album, foobar, would send the entire album, the album either being all the mp3s in the folder, or all the mp3s with the same album tag, and start playing the song from there.

Aside from the focus in the playlist switcher moving from "*browser*" to "Now playing," I wouldn't even notice the difference! That plus the foo_highlightplaying, just in case I did start moving around too much, would be absolutely perfect. Anyone have any links that would help?

Again, for example, say I double-clicked, hit enter on, or "c" on "Black Swan" from the album "The Eraser," foobar moves the album to playlist "Now playing" and THEN begins to play the mp3.

Thanks again for all the help.

Reply #7
Bump

Reply #8
hi mate, im new to foobar so this might not be the most efficient solution but, ive had the same issue as you (i think) and this is the best way ive found to combat it.

firstly get the queue manager panel component:-
(foo_uie_queuemanager)

then once youve placed your manager panel somewhere in your layout, you can browse to your pleasure and select the track/tracks/album/artists you want to hear, then as long as you right click and 'add to playback queue' to your highlighted selection it will play them next (you might need to add that 'add to playback queue' command to your context menu in the prefs. ive been pissing around with the settings for so long now i dont know whats default and what ive added anymore heh).

anyway, as long as you do that, the played tracks will follow the order of the panel, irrelivant of where your browsing. be warned though- if you double click to start a track it wipes the list. oh, also you can delete from the panels playlist too, and drag'n'drop re-ordering of the panels playlist is on the makes todo list.

anyway, hope this helps anyone whos had this prob
cheers
paul

Reply #9

Thank you! It's not perfect, but it is an improvement.
Quote from: gfngfgf link=msg=0 date=
regarding the first issue: I think that's intended behavior. You're playing some song in a playlist, then you replace that playlist by browsing to a different artist/album in Browser. Even though you see the same tracks as when you started playing, it's really a different playlist from foobar's point of view. If I were you, I'd use one playlist for browsing, and when you want to play some tracks, move them to a "Now Playing" playlist. I don't know if there's a feature in Browser to help with that.

I'm definately interested in this idea. What would be perfect is a constant "Now playing" playlist, and say I used Browser panels + playlist column to play a song from an album, foobar, would send the entire album, the album either being all the mp3s in the folder, or all the mp3s with the same album tag, and start playing the song from there.

Aside from the focus in the playlist switcher moving from "*browser*" to "Now playing," I wouldn't even notice the difference! That plus the foo_highlightplaying, just in case I did start moving around too much, would be absolutely perfect. Anyone have any links that would help?

Again, for example, say I double-clicked, hit enter on, or "c" on "Black Swan" from the album "The Eraser," foobar moves the album to playlist "Now playing" and THEN begins to play the mp3.

Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah I find if that browser was modified so it exactly copied iTunes' behaviour it would be a lot more useful - currently playlists made with it feel very volatile and fragile.

It would be nice if it had some sort of safer way of saving selections.
hi

Reply #10
I have noticed this too. What bothers me is not if I actually manually change the contents, but if tags update, autoplaylist/pl_tree reorders the playlist ($rand()) and it loses the playing song. I would like it if it checked if the contents are the same, or since the autoplaylist uses hooks, it could see if a tag was updated on a file already in the playlist, and if so, just update that one file in place instead of reordering the whole playlist. But I understand this is a very trivial complaint, I still kind of liked that foobar 0.8 tracked the playing song through all playlists.