Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AoTuV Beta 5 released! (Read 111037 times) previous topic - next topic

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

The Beta5 has finally arrived!

# The action of noise normalization has been improved.  This has an effect in the sound roughness and tremor problem etc. in the low bitrate.
# The threshold of a stereo mode change was calculated dynamically.  Some of problems which originate in channel coupling by this will improve.
# Noise control of an impulse block was changed (quality 0-10 / 32-48kHz). And pre-echo decreased slightly.
# Tuning of each part was redone according to above-mentioned changed part and additional part.

http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #1

Excellent new! The changelog looks great.
I'll try to start a new listening test very soon.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #2
Just tried my standard bad samples harp40_1, herding_calls and trumpet on b5.

At -q2 no good quality can be expected from these bad samples, but herding_calls turns out to be pretty acceptable. Not quite so with trumpet and harp.

At -q3 I'd call trumpet not annoying anymore.

At -q4 even harp is quite acceptable to me.

These are very good results!

Something else: With the simple commandline 'venc -qx y.wav' which seems to be the only way to use venc I have seen no way to use venc from within foobar.
Any solutions?
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #3
Something else: With the simple commandline 'venc -qx y.wav' which seems to be the only way to use venc I have seen no way to use venc from within foobar.Any solutions?

I guess you missed this:

Code: [Select]
http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/binary/oggenc_aoTuV_b5.zip

Aoyumi released also an oggenc.exe version.

Edit: Perhaps external linking is prohibited. I changed the link to code.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #4
I tried with a few samples, but I'm unable to hear a difference between the latest Lancer and this new beta. I tried my favourite Vorbis problem sample (the_product) at both low and high quality settings, as well as a few normal samples at -q0, but I was unable to distinguish between the two encoded versions. I didn't do many compressed/compressed comparsions before, so I might just be too "unexperienced" to spot the improvements.

Edit: I finally ABXed a few differences, at -q-2. b5 sounded better to me in all cases so far.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #5
I guess you missed this: .... Aoyumi released also an oggenc.exe version.

You're right. Thanks a lot.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #6
Alex B: that oggenc link isn't working.

Edit: strange, I can't get it to download with firefox, but wget had no problems...

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #7
Alex B: that oggenc link isn't working. ...

I couldn't use it either but I found the link on Aoyumi's page (just a few lines below the venc link).

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #8
It didn't work when I tried from Aoyumi's page either, but I just did a wget on it from my linux machine and all was fine.
Firefox was caching the broken response, opening it on a new tab and doing Ctrl F5 fixed it.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #9
It's a strange link. For me, it didn't work directly from my post, but when I pasted it into the browser's address bar it worked. (Opera 9.02)

I am going to retest the same samples I tried with the earlier pre-beta 5 version @ -q 1 here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=401514

I suppose it would be helpful for Aoyumi if others who are interested about -q 1 could try the same samples.

I would like to test -q 6 or 7 also, but I am not sure if have enough guts for that. I may have found a couple of new samples that may be problematic at -q 6-7, but ABXing them is still very difficult (at least for me). I would first need to be sure that I can ABX the r1 encoded samples and then try b5.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #10
Good news.

Speed test (PentiumM 715, 1500Mhz)
Code: [Select]
C:\temp\test>oggenc_lancer.exe naraya_nonamed.wav
Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
Encoding "naraya_nonamed.wav" to
         "naraya_nonamed.ogg"
at quality 3,00
        [100,0%] [ 0m00s remaining] |

Done encoding file "naraya_nonamed.ogg"

File length:  3m 25,0s
        Elapsed time: 0m 7,735s
        Rate:         26,539668
        Average bitrate: 104,7 kb/s

C:\temp\test>oggenc_aotuv_b451.exe naraya_nonamed.wav
         "naraya_nonamed.ogg"
at quality 3,00
        [100,0%] [ 0m00s remaining] \

Elapsed time: 0m 34,0s
        Rate:         6,0378
        Average bitrate: 104,7 kb/s

C:\temp\test>oggenc_aotuv_b5.exe naraya_nonamed.wav
         "naraya_nonamed.ogg"
at quality 3,00
        [100,0%] [ 0m00s remaining] \

Elapsed time: 0m 38,0s
        Rate:         5,4022
        Average bitrate: 104,8 kb/s

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #11
Yay, finally the long wait is over! Gotta test this release on my favourite samples, and start encoding right away. Thanks, Aoyumi!
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #12
I'll wait for an OggDropXPd compile from John33 (hurry up, mate !  ) and then start testing the new sound from Aoyumi

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #13
I've already started encoding my stuff to -q2. The biggest change I've noticed is that the bitrates are slightly lower over 4.51.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #14
The biggest change I've noticed is that the bitrates are slightly lower over 4.51.

I noticed that, too.  I wonder if it's intentional, as if to combat slight bitrate inflation present during past tests?  Although, to tell the truth, I didn't notice an issue there.

But then again, maybe it's simply due to a new bitrate spread as a result of new algorithms...
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #16
OMG Very Surprised   

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #18
Congrats on the milestone, Aoyumi!

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #19
I am happy that the somehow new version was releasable. 

Speed test (PentiumM 715, 1500Mhz)
This is normal. Processing required for encoding is increasing (especially channel coupling).

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #20
The encoders and dlls have been added at Rarewares.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #21
Thanks Aoyumi.

The encoders and dlls have been added at Rarewares.

oggdropXPd V.1.8.9 using aoTuVb5  2006-10-25 doesn't work on my computer (lpac_codec_api.dll)

Where is the Generic - P3/AMD - P4 Only compile ?

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #23
oggdropXPd V.1.8.9 using aoTuVb5  2006-10-25 doesn't work on my computer (lpac_codec_api.dll)

Can you provide more info please? Was there an error message? It works fine here.
Where is the Generic - P3/AMD - P4 Only compile ?

The single compile should work reasonably well on all systems. I'm trying to get away from producing dozens of compiles each time there's a change; it takes me far too long to get through them. 

These compiles use Blacksword's (of Lancer fame) routine for runtime optimisation with the Intel compiler.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #24

Can you provide more info please? Was there an error message? It works fine here.

Current compile never run without following dlls also on my WinXP.
LPAC dlls (54Kb) - Monkey's Audio dll (71Kb) - OptimFROG dll (81Kb) on Rarewares