Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME frontend - Razor or All2? (Read 16596 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME frontend - Razor or All2?

The LAME switch `--vbr-new´ was recently recommended however that would mean RazrLame is no longer so useful. Also, All2Lame was recommeded over RazorLame. I tried the -V 2 --vbr-new and that started a joint stereo encode. I would really prefer a Stereo mode.

RazorLame has a comprehensive, tabbed LAME `settings´ panel and also displays a nifty VRB distribution chart during operations. I find this to be VERY useful and informative. See the following..

How is All2lame recommended over Razor? I see it has a Tagging box. What do the
  • and [-] buttons do? Other frontends have these same controls. Still using Razor with new DAT file.

-Gregory

p.s.  problems with WaveGain were solved by downloading the latest WG version..

Reply #1
Both VBR methods use joint stereo - which is better - by default.

Reply #2
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=11132&hl= 

I use foobar for all my encodes.

But for a pure LAME frontend have enjoyed using ALL2LAME & LameDropXPd - both very easy

I can't remember why ALL2LAME was recommended above Razorlame; I can't find the thread either. I'm sure someone will tell us

Reply #3

How is JS better?  you mean it's superior to full stereo mode?  { shrug }

Note in posted graphic above, the Light and Dark ORANGE color codes.

Dark - LR Stereo

Light - MS Stereo

What precisly does that mean?  LR is left-right, yes?  what is MS?

AND.. what do the
  • and [-] buttons do on the numerous `front ends?´

-Gregory

Reply #5
The LAME switch `--vbr-new´ was recently recommended however that would mean RazrLame is no longer so useful. Also, All2Lame was recommeded over RazorLame.
why does the recommendation of vbr-new render RazorLame useless?
the frontend has an option to use that.
me too can't see where All2Lame has been recommended over RazorLame but that's a matter of personal preference I guess so it's a moot point.

• and [-] buttons do? Other frontends have these same controls. Still using Razor with new DAT file.
yes, why is recommended? please link to some discussion so we can understand your questions. or even better, read them up again yourself.
as for the
  • and [-] buttons: did you ever notice the tooltips in All2Lame? ...
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #7

yes, why is recommended? please link to some discussion so we can understand your questions. or even better, read them up again yourself.
as for the

clicky
(LAME Frontends)
All2Lame is recommended instead of Razorlame or Easylame
I'm sure there was a thread that talked about some errors that Razor was getting and that due to development lifecycle status it was recommended to use ALL2LAME. But I can't find it or remember for sure, so that's just a vague recollection. Still, HA.org does recommend ALL2LAME as the Lame frontend

Reply #8

All2Lame is recommended instead of Razorlame or Easylame
I'm sure there was a thread that talked about some errors that Razor was getting and that due to development lifecycle status it was recommended to use ALL2LAME. But I can't find it or remember for sure, so that's just a vague recollection. Still, HA.org does recommend ALL2LAME as the Lame frontend

To be more specific, I believe RazorLame was incompatible with the 3.97 beta's, it took rather a long time to get fixed and it was never really certain if it would actually _ever_ get updated. When LAME 3.97 became recommended on HA a lot of users ran into this problem and All2Lame got recommended over RazorLame. IIRC.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #9
I recently recommended Speek's Multi frontend over ALL2LAME because ALL2LAME still reserves room for an outdated switch which never even worked properly, IIRC.

Reply #10
The LAME switch `--vbr-new´ was recently recommended however that would mean RazrLame is no longer so useful. Also, All2Lame was recommeded over RazorLame.

why does the recommendation of vbr-new render RazorLame useless?
the frontend has an option to use that.
me too can't see where All2Lame has been recommended over RazorLame but that's a matter of personal preference I guess so it's a moot point.

as for the

Why does it render RL useless?  it doesn't really, but it's too simple to just type a `default´ --vbr-new string. RazorLame has a multi-tab LAME control panel and especially, the VBR histogram. Point is, one could use a simple All2Lame shell to enter --vbr-new .

It was recommended here:

scroll down to `# Useful Links:´ and then `(LAME Frontends)´ section. I cannot really agree with that.. and btw, have both shells working. With RL, you need to download the latest DAT file from the author to be compatible with LAME 3.97

-Gregory
[/quote]

Look at the author's website for a note on a `fix´ via a new DAT file. Just download it and over-write the previous DAT file. It will work fine with v3.97 then. I'll run All2 on the next encode to be fair. Still like the VBR histogram in RL.

-Gregory

I recently recommended Speek's [url=http://members.home.nl/w.speek/multi.htm]Multi frontend[/url] over ALL2LAME because ALL2LAME still reserves room for an outdated switch which never even worked properly, IIRC.

What switch is that?  ALso what are the
  • and [-] keys for?

-G

Reply #11
  • and [-] keys for?

The No Gap setting.

The + and - buttons are to save and remove presets from the drop-down list of options.

You may run into problems with Speek's frontends because they* do not handle unicode characters properly.  A very common one that gives people trouble is the acute accent (´) which is sometimes used in place of an apostrophe in the freedb database.

*At least the FLAC frontend doesn't.

Reply #12
Amen! 
Short: Yes, joint stereo is superior to "real" stereo

Long: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Joint_stereo
Amen! 
as for the
  • and [-] buttons are simply saving and deleting your own command lines. 
    I recently recommended Speek's Multi frontend over ALL2LAME because ALL2LAME still reserves room for an outdated switch which never even worked properly, IIRC.
    Me too, Multifrontend simply rulez. Unfortunately it can't handle files with Czech characters like: ?, š, ?, ?, ž, ý, ú 
    Still using Razor with new DAT file.

Why does it render RL useless?  it doesn't really, but it's too simple to just type a `default´ --vbr-new string. RazorLame has a multi-tab LAME control panel and especially, the VBR histogram. Point is, one could use a simple All2Lame shell to enter --vbr-new.

With RL, you need to download the latest DAT file from the author to be compatible with LAME 3.97

-Gregory
    Hey, tell us what'S that latest DAT file to understand what you mean by that ridiculous joint stereo vs. full stereo...? 

You'll see the VBR histogram in Speek's ALL2LAME / Multifrontend too.
    When you click "GO" it opens an external command line compressor window where there's the same histogram...
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #13
  • and [-] keys for?

The No Gap setting.

The + and - buttons are to save and remove presets from the drop-down list of options.

You may run into problems with Speek's frontends because they* do not handle unicode characters properly.  A very common one that gives people trouble is the acute accent (´) which is sometimes used in place of an apostrophe in the freedb database.

*At least the FLAC frontend does.

Thanks.. got it. I'm a bit rusty and haven't done much encoding for a year or two. Had to update many of the apps.

I use the `stick-pins´ a lot actually!!  : >

-Gregory

Reply #14
Also what are the
  • and [-] keys for?
Sorry, I'm late! 

*At least the FLAC frontend doesn't.
Yeah, that's the culprit Multifrontend refuse to decode files with Czech characters like: ?, š, ?, ?, ž, ý, ú, but WavPack frontend can do it. 

Do you know is there any way to make it work? 
I have written an email to Speek recently, but I haven't received any reply.
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #15
I'm having trouble with the nested `quotes.´

Hey, tell us what'S that latest DAT file to understand what you mean by that ridiculous joint stereo vs. full stereo...? 

You'll see the VBR histogram in Speek's ALL2LAME / Multifrontend too.
When you click "GO" it opens an external command line compressor window where there's the same histogram...

It at this URL:  RazorLame

Click to download and then OPEN the zip. It will be V1.15a -- Inside is a new DAT file dated 2006. Also pop open the readme and see where it says (essentially) compatible with new LAME version (3.97) via DAT file.

BTW.. I'm finding it difficult to believe that JS is superior to separate L and R channels. It's a smaller file, yes, and that seems to be the tradeoff. Please refute if you know differently. I'm mainly having fun with it.  (( ))

-Gregory

Reply #16

Not that I know of, no.

I actually don't use his programs much because I have my own batch scripts.  The only thing I'm missing that I care about is the ability to do replaygain in album mode, but I'm perfectly happy using fb2k for this.

Reply #17
It at this URL:  RazorLame

Click to download and then OPEN the zip. It will be V1.15a -- Inside is a new DAT file dated 2006. Also pop open the readme and see where it says (essentially) compatible with new LAME version (3.97) via DAT file.
Ahh, now I understand.  Don't ask me more, I'm a happy MultiFrontend user with no intentions to convert to RazorLame. 
BTW.. I'm finding it difficult to believe that JS is superior to separate L and R channels. It's a smaller file, yes, and that seems to be the tradeoff. Please refute if you know differently. I'm mainly having fun with it.  (( ))

-Gregory
Why is joint stereo better than pure stereo ?

Not that I know of, no.
I think it is possible to find out other multifrontend that has no problems with those characters. 
I actually don't use his programs much because I have my own batch scripts. The only thing I'm missing that I care about is the ability to do replaygain in album mode, but I'm perfectly happy using fb2k for this.
Don't tell me!  This is a topic about which is my thread

Reply #18
Don't tell me!  This is a topic about which is my thread
The magic happens when you right-click (if you're right-handed, of course ) on files that you've dropped in the window.

EDIT: following quote added.
I use foobar for all my encodes.

Sorry for straying off-topic.

Reply #19

Does RazorLame resolved the issue with the --nogap switch? It would made the difference between RazorLame and All2Lame...
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #20
i have come across a problem using all2lame. when i try to encode large no. of files. (i.e. around 70 or 80 files) it tends to skip 2-3 files. it does not exactly SKIP. it just encodes the source into a 0kb (zero kb) file. Means, the encoded file actually appears in the folder but when you try to play, you get to know that its just a dummy file.
can anybody help me over this?

Reply #21
That's a new one I've heard of with All2Lame skipping files as I've used it on Win98 and WinXP and many times I've dropped 100+ and 200+ files onto the window and it encodes them all.

Reply #22
i have come across a problem using all2lame. when i try to encode large no. of files. (i.e. around 70 or 80 files) it tends to skip 2-3 files. it does not exactly SKIP. it just encodes the source into a 0kb (zero kb) file. Means, the encoded file actually appears in the folder but when you try to play, you get to know that its just a dummy file.
can anybody help me over this?

I might be wrong here, but I don't think this has something to do with the no. of files. Maybe it is because of the length of the path / filename of these skipped files? Might be too long. 

Reply #23
Maybe it is because of the length of the path / filename of these skipped files? Might be too long. 

That's a perfectly good explanation! I had completely forgot about my ordeal I had using the ripping scheme that I though was so good for so long "A\Y - L\A+Y+L+N+T+G" which eventually did cause some problems due to excessively long file names/path, thus I switched to "A\Y - L\N. A - T"

Reply #24
SOMEBODY HELP ME!  I'm not quite sure I'm getting the answer on using -v 0 -vbr-new on LAME 3.97 with a Razor Lame 1.1.4 front end.

Until now, I had been using ITunes Lame on my G5 but the HD crashed and I don't really want to spend the $$$ to replace it just now.

So, to my PC!

I want to use -v 0 --vbr-new as the best alternative to INSANE.

It seems that the RazorLame Lame Options does not permit use of the alt preset or the new presets.  Is that acccurate?  And if I have to go to the tabbed VBR panel etc. ,how can I make RazorLame give me the -v 0 --vbr-new settings?

HELP HELP HELP!  I have about 500 CDs to rip b4 christmas.  (No, I'm not working.)