Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about Zune and Lossless (Read 12344 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about Zune and Lossless

I'm totally for FLAC, but like the topic says ... I recently purchased a Zune (for spite of apple, but thats besides the point).

I really would like to not convert my files using wmalc and just stick with FLAC, is there anyway to convert flac to wma so it can sync with the Zune or am I stuck using WMALC encoding? 

I believe Foobar2000 supports wmalc correct?  all these choices hehe makes my head hurt!

any input/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
Judging by these topics...

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=50314
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=50269

... the Zune doesn't provide any support for lossless codecs at all, even Microsoft's own WMA 9.2 Lossless is transcoded on the fly instead. Therefore I'd suggest you using foobar2000 to transcode your FLAC collection to the WMA 10 Professional codec, which is said to be supported by Zune, although the documentation doesn't mention it.

With Windows Media Player 11 installed on your machine you can setup foobar2000 to transcode to WMA following these steps:

1. Create a custom encoder in foobar2000's converter.
2. Define the path to "WMCmd.vbs" in the "Encoder" line, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs".
3. Set these "Parameters": -silent -a_codec WMA9PRO -a_mode 2 -a_setting Q50_44_2_24 -input %s -output %d
4. "Format is": lossy; "Highest BPS mode supported" is 24.

These settings will generate a VBR Q50 WMA 10 Pro file. Don't mind the "WMA9Pro" mentioned above, WMCmd.vbs will actually encode to version 10 with WMP11 installed. If you wanna generate files of higher quality, simply increase the "Q50" parameter to Q75, Q90 or Q98.

Reply #2
2. Define the path to "WMCmd.vbs" in the "Encoder" line, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs".

Note: Don't include quotation marks; it won't work.
lossyFLAC (lossyWAV -q 0; FLAC -b 512 -e)

Reply #3
Does the Zune support gapless playback like the iPod?  I would like to know, thanks!

Reply #5
@ City Ninja: you may want to check the specs before you buy next time... AFAIK, the only MP3 player that supports WMA Lossless playback is the Toshiba Gigabeat series.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #6
The big question is why you need lossless on your portable player - it's more logical to have a lossless archive, and transcode on-the-fly to lossy every time you transfer anything to the player. In that case, the Zune (or any other device for that matter) will suffice, you only need a program with transcoding support (WMP, Winamp, foobar, Zune software, etc).

It still seems strange that the Zune does not WMA Lossless when the almost identical Gigabeat S does. The Zune software obviously transcodes lossless to lossy, but what happens if you transfer a WMA Lossless file to the Zune with normal MTP (ie, not through the Zune software)?

Reply #7
I'm glad for the help guys .

I decided to go FLAC with my entire library, and as mentioned convert on the fly (foobar2000 will be what I'll use) to VBR and then drop them on my player.

Now its just an issue of effectively/efficiently backing up my music library, any suggestions on the matter?

I was thinking two 400 gigs one for normal use and the other as a backup.

Reply #8
You might either want to search the site or start another thread for that question...
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #9
The big question is why you need lossless on your portable player - it's more logical to have a lossless archive, and transcode on-the-fly to lossy every time you transfer anything to the player. In that case, the Zune (or any other device for that matter) will suffice, you only need a program with transcoding support (WMP, Winamp, foobar, Zune software, etc).

It still seems strange that the Zune does not WMA Lossless when the almost identical Gigabeat S does. The Zune software obviously transcodes lossless to lossy, but what happens if you transfer a WMA Lossless file to the Zune with normal MTP (ie, not through the Zune software)?

I agree with this But what I wish was offered was when the Zune Software converts the lossless it offered you a way to set the bitrate to what it converts it to. Right now it's locked into converting it to WMA at 128kbps. I would want to do it at 192Kbps. So I have'nt converted to Lossless yet, even thou I'd like to.