Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio CD Library Backup/Archiving With Linux (Read 3417 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio CD Library Backup/Archiving With Linux

I have a desktop with Slackware Linux on it just sitting around that I would like to use to backup my audio CDs but I'm not sure the best way to go about it and I figured this would be the best place to ask for help. What are some recommendations on how to do this/software to use/whole disc backups vs compressed tracks?

I don't have a whole lot of CDs to do (around 200 or so) so time isn't much of an issue.  Drive space isn't either, I have a DL DVD burner and a nice stack of blank DVDs/CDs laying around, plus I'm eventually going to have a NAS setup since HDDs are so cheap anymore.

Reply #1
I have a desktop with Slackware Linux on it just sitting around that I would like to use to backup my audio CDs but I'm not sure the best way to go about it and I figured this would be the best place to ask for help. What are some recommendations on how to do this/software to use/whole disc backups vs compressed tracks?

I don't have a whole lot of CDs to do (around 200 or so) so time isn't much of an issue.  Drive space isn't either, I have a DL DVD burner and a nice stack of blank DVDs/CDs laying around, plus I'm eventually going to have a NAS setup since HDDs are so cheap anymore.

The same basic ideas apply whether using Linux, Windows or a Mac.
  • Select a lossless format (and a lossy format also, if you want to play your library on a portable player).
  • Build a hierarchical file structure to suit your playing habits.
  • Configure your favorite ripper accordingly (in my case, for Linux, KDE's KaudioCreator).
  • Rip your 200 CDs on good hardware.

Reply #2
Sorry, I should've explained a little more..

Currently I am currently using KAudioCreator with LAME @ 192 vbr because I have an iPod else I would more than likely use ogg instead.  I am more interested in backing up an entire CD into something like an ISO... possibly even converting into FLAC as so I can make quality encodings without having to re-rip the actual CD.  I'm also interested in using cdparanoia and replaygain if anyone has any tips.

Reply #3
Sorry, I should've explained a little more..

Currently I am currently using KAudioCreator with LAME @ 192 vbr because I have an iPod else I would more than likely use ogg instead.  I am more interested in backing up an entire CD into something like an ISO...

Historically speaking, that´s what people did a few years ago, myself included. 

possibly even converting into FLAC as so I can make quality encodings without having to re-rip the actual CD.  I'm also interested in using cdparanoia and replaygain if anyone has any tips.

FLAC (substitute your favorite lossless encoder here) is what people use nowadays. KAudioCreator can use FLAC too. And FAAC, since you have an AAC portable player. I use FAAC myself with KAudioCreator at q=150 settings, and IMHO, totally subjective, I think it's quite good.

Reply #4
is your ipod rockbox'ed ? --> http://www.rockbox.org

i mount a hard drive under /mnt/music and store everything there (lossless, lossy, bootlegs, samples, etc.). ripping usually with k3b  (pre) 1.0 and mppenc 1.16

if you wish to do the whole single-file-per-album method, k3b has a good interface for that with the (pre) 1.0 releases

with your ipod rockox'ed you essentially get to choose what formats you use out of any reasonable option (mp3, aac, vorbis, musepack, flac, wavpack, etc)

i use musepack for lossy and wavpack for lossless on my rockbox'ed iriver h320.

later