Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Web and Wii control (Read 4503 times) previous topic - next topic

Web and Wii control

I am lucky enough to be in possession of the nintendo wii. Its controller is making itself known in all sorts of applications for windows. I am considering how useful this would be for foobar.

There are two routes of action:

1. Control via bluetooth
- your computer needs bluetooth
- the wii does not have to be on but the controller does need to be detected
- bluetooths range lets you use the controller throughout the house

2. Control via wii web browser
- you dont need bluetooth, instead access a local network page served by pc via wii browser
- wii must be on and browser active,
- TV can potentially show album art, title, now playing and controls and possibly even stream so TV outputs audio.

Personally I'd like to use the second option as I dont have bluetooth. What are your thoughts on this idea and which would be the easier to implement?

Does web control already exist for foobar?

Web and Wii control

Reply #1
bluetooth dongles can be had for £10+ on ebay

this would give quite good control when you map all the buttons and maybe even have gesture recognition,
e.g. a right swipe for skip next and left swipe for skip back, etc...

Web and Wii control

Reply #2
2. Control via wii web browser
- you dont need bluetooth, instead access a local network page served by pc via wii browser
- wii must be on and browser active,
- TV can potentially show album art, title, now playing and controls and possibly even stream so TV outputs audio.

Personally I'd like to use the second option as I dont have bluetooth. What are your thoughts on this idea and which would be the easier to implement?

Does web control already exist for foobar?

There are a few plugins for web control, but none that advanced.  I also think something like that would be pretty cool.  I'm not sure if the wii's browser will play mp3's natively, so a flash interface might be needed.

These are all of the remote control components: Click

httpserver is probably closest to what we are looking for.  If someone could actually get a full audio center type thing going pretty soon foobar would get extremely popular.  People are crazy over anything Wii related.

Web and Wii control

Reply #3
Controlling Foobar via the WII remote via Bluetooth seems damn good.

I feel a bit dumb now but how would you do that? By connecting a BT device to the WII and then let that one connect to the BT device on your PC which then controls foobar?

EDIT: Doh! I just saw that this thread was way old, sorry! Still want to know tho =)