Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sonos, renaming flac files, and hard drive trades.... (Read 6379 times) previous topic - next topic

Sonos, renaming flac files, and hard drive trades....

High all,

I just bought a Sonos and I love it! I highly recommend this product.

Problem is this - I have tons of flac files I've downloaded, and the Sonos will play them, but they don't have the proper song names, just track01.flac. etc..

It's much nicer when it has the name of the song, especially when you want to search for a specific track. But this means alot of time spent renaming thousands of tracks to their proper song name. Is there any way around this?

The only thing I can come up with is to copy hard drives full of music from people who have already done all this renaming... I have done alot so far but there is so much more!

Which brings me to my next question - does anyone want to trade a massive amount of music at once? I have a very small external 750 gig drive that I could fill and send to someone, who could then copy what they want, erase it, and send it back filled with other stuff...

All the years spent mail trading tapes, then dats, then cds... Now it seems like the next logical progression is what I just proposed..

Thoughts??

Jason

Reply #1
sonos is definitely cool.  there should be no need to rename the files.  probably the files just don't have FLAC tags on them.  id3 tags are a no-no, but I think there are programs to fix that.

the sonos will work better with proper tags than with trying to mess with filenames.

p.s. why the 2nd identical post?
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=52091

Reply #3
Sorry about the double post.. Didn't know which was the appropriate forum...

"probably the files just don't have FLAC tags on them. id3 tags are a no-no, but I think there are programs to fix that."

..... sooo what do I do to fix this?

What are flac tags?
  What programs fix it?

Thanks
J

Reply #4
Which brings me to my next question - does anyone want to trade a massive amount of music at once? I have a very small external 750 gig drive that I could fill and send to someone, who could then copy what they want, erase it, and send it back filled with other stuff...

All the years spent mail trading tapes, then dats, then cds... Now it seems like the next logical progression is what I just proposed..

Thoughts??

That doesn't sound like a very good idea, considering copyrights. If all the music would be free to distribute, than sure. Considering it isn't mass distribution, it would be legal in for example Sweden, but it seems like the kind of thing that wouldn't stand in US/UK.
What are flac tags?
What programs fix it?

How did you make the FLACs, to start with?

Reply #5
(it sounded to me like he was talking about trading legal live sets)

anyway, FLAC tags are the native tags of FLAC files.  most programs tag this way but some incorrectly add id3 tags.  as for what software to use, it's hard to recommend something since you didn't even say which OS you are running.  more information is better when asking for help.

Reply #6
I am using a new mac with OSX. And I am talking about trading mostly Phish and GD.. all legal...

Reply #7
Tag can edit Tags in FLAC files, and guess tags based on the filename and/or directory structure.

Although I'm not familiar with which tags Sonos uses, I would bet that the standard fields in Tag's basic interface would be a good start.

Reply #9
TAG looks cool - but how do you use it?