Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why does Tag mess with the FLAC vendor string? (Read 7565 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does Tag mess with the FLAC vendor string?

@ Synthetic Soul: I downloaded your libFLAC 1.1.4 version of tag.exe, thanks for updating it.
What I don't understand: Why is tag.exe interfering with FLAC's vendor string, wouldn't it be a lot easier if it didn't ?

Reply #1
Yes, it would.  If I understood how the FLAC tagging worked I would change it.  But I don't.

As I have said many times before: it's about time a competent C programmer had a look.

FYI: Josh took a look and stated that Tag is deleting existing blocks and replacing them, which is why the vendor string is being changed.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
OK, thanks for your reply; We have to live with it until some 'competent C programmer' makes some changes it (Unfortunately I am not a programmer at all).

Reply #3
if someone will commit to owning the code, I can make the necessary changes.

Reply #4
I don't know what that means.

I certainly don't 'own' the code, as 99% is still Case's.

When I first contacted Case about my requirements for Tag, and later the changes I hade made, he basically said that he had no interest in developing it further.

However, if you are suggesting that you are happy to submit a patch if someone else will compile and host, then sure, I can do that.  It may make the situation less confusing for those people using my site to download Tag.

That said, if anyone wants to take over the mantle, I will gladly remove my links and redirect users to the new site.  It really should be in the hands of someone who can do more with it.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
Yesterday I received an email from a kind-hearted soul called Nick Voronin.  He provided me with a patch to make Tag retain the vendor string.

This morning I have compiled Tag with the update to tagwrite.cpp.

Please download and try it for yourselves.  I have tested briefly, and all seems fine.

Enjoy!

Many thanks to Nick for his help.

It seems sensible to me that the FLAC installer (with FLAC Frontend) should start using this version.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
Thanks guys, (this really bothered me) 

Reply #7
Thanks guys, (this really bothered me) 
And me, even though it's not my fault, per se.

I find it frustrating that I don't have the skills to make these changes.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #8
...It seems sensible to me that the FLAC installer (with FLAC Frontend) should start using this version.
I have used this version (through the tagger.exe GUI) now for over a week and it seems to be OK. Indeed, packing it with the installer and FLAC frontend would be a wise choice.

Reply #9
Thanks for the feedback. 

I tagged some FLACs today while testing something else, and it actually highlighted to me that I was still using 1.1.3 at work.

I really think the future installer should include this version, it will save a lot of confusion.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #10
Thanks for the feedback. 
You're welcome, that the least I can do for using all those things you guys make for us, non programming but button pushing music lovers.