Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dynamic Range
zgx
post Mar 6 2007, 21:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12939

Im encoding LPCM 5.1 tracks into FLAC.

Im using Graphedit and "Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.2" directshow filter to decode the LPCM stream.
In the settings for Sonic Cinemaster I can control the number of channels the output should be and also the dynamic range. The setting is called "environment" and there are three options "Quiet", "Normal" and "Noisy".

I would like to have the same dynamic range as the original LPCM soundtrack. The question is if Quiet means "Normal full dynamic range" or if it artificially alters the stream to increase the dynamic range.

What option do you think I should use.. normal or quiet?

I have no other way to see the real LPCM soundtrack so I have a hard time deciding what the correct option is.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AndyH-ha
post Mar 7 2007, 05:15
Post #2

Member No.: 24222

Encode the same material all three ways. Compare the result to understand the differences.
+Quote Post
Raiden
post Mar 7 2007, 16:55
Post #3

Group: Developer
Member No.: 17002

IIRC LPCM does not support DRC flags. So theoretically the outfile would be the same for all three options if the decoder itself does not do DRC.

Did you try the ffdshow audio decoder with graphedit? It can switch DRC on/off (AC3 and DTS), allows for downmixing, volume correction and much more.
+Quote Post
zgx
post Mar 7 2007, 22:06
Post #4

Member No.: 12939

I built a graph with a small DTS test file and made three wav files with the three different settings. All three files was bit identical. It should hopefully be the same with the LPCM ´transcodes I have done.

But for future reference if I were to transcode something that does support the DRC flags what should I pick?

Another DVD player, PowerDVD, has these explainations:

Quiet Environment: Experience the full dynamic range of Dolby Digital sound.

Normal Environment: Experience the compressed dynamic range of Dolby Digital sound.

Noisy Environment: Experience boosted sound. Strongly recommended for notebook users.
+Quote Post
GeSomeone
post Mar 19 2007, 19:16
Post #5

Member No.: 335

QUOTE (zgx @ Mar 7 2007, 22:06) *
PowerDVD, has these explainations:

Quiet Environment: Experience the full dynamic range of Dolby Digital sound.
Normal Environment: Experience the compressed dynamic range of Dolby Digital sound.
Noisy Environment: Experience boosted sound. Strongly recommended for notebook users.

Quiet Environment in this case, it preserves the original dynamics.

Not to be confused with Late Nite listening (also Quiet ...) which reduces the loud parts.

--------------------
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
+Quote Post
smok3
post Mar 21 2007, 21:18
Post #6

A/V Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1922

yes, those settings are only for dolby digital, i dont know if DTS supports similar system (i think not) and it would be kinda weird if LPCM did.

--------------------
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:32