Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero Digital Audio+ 1.1.34.2 released (Read 82013 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero Digital Audio+ 1.1.34.2 released

Reply #25
I like the linux version (proper stdin support and such).

But the linux version is very slow, compared to the windows exe running under wine.
I just did a fast test with only one file, with wine it took 5 seconds and with the linux binary it took 9 seconds.

Its probably the different compilers, didn't know they make such a difference...

Windows binary:

time wine tmp/win32/neroAacEnc.exe -q 0.5 -if 1.wav -of test1.mp4
*  Nero Digital Audio Reference MPEG-4 & 3GPP Audio Encoder *
*  Copyright 2007 Nero AG                                  *
*  All Rights Reserved Worldwide                            *
*  Package build date: Aug  6 2007                          *
*  Package version:    1.1.34.2                            *
*  See -help for a complete list of available parameters.  *

Processed 119 seconds...

real    0m4.988s
user    0m4.824s
sys    0m0.120s

Linux Binary:

time tmp/linux/neroAacEnc  -q 0.5 -if 1.wav -of test1.mp4
*  Nero Digital Audio Reference MPEG-4 & 3GPP Audio Encoder *
*  Copyright 2007 Nero AG                                  *
*  All Rights Reserved Worldwide                            *
*  Package build date: Aug  6 2007                          *
*  See -help for a complete list of available parameters.  *

Processed 119 seconds...

real    0m9.173s
user    0m9.065s
sys    0m0.104s

Reply #26
Anyway, I think our current non-SSE build is faster than the old SSE build.

On my Windows XP Core2duo @ 3 GHz using foobar2000 converting from FLAC to mp4 (Nero Digital Audio+ 1.1.34.2), neroAacEnc.exe is about 5 times faster compared to neroAacEnc_SSE.exe 

The convesion speeds of neroAacEnc.exe are in line with Ogg Vorbis and Lame 3.98 betas (always VBR with resulting bitrates between 100 and 160 kbps) but that the speed of neroAacEnc.exe is really slow.

Reply #27
Linux compile is so much slower because the processor specific optimisations have not been included (yet).

Reply #28
Thank you. Nero AAC became my favorite lossy format because it's good and I can play it anywhere (my car audio supports he aac)...

Reply #29

As there is a Linux version now, would it be difficult to get it to run on OS X?

That is probably as easy as getting an OS X development machine here... so I can try, but I don't promise anything

Thanks! It would be rather interesting, competing with iTunes AAC on their own turf.

I suppose getting the cheapest Mac Mini will do. And perhaps some older PPC machine off eBay for PPC testing, endianness can screw things up a bit.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #30
Great with a linux-version. Thanks a bushel.

But could we get a linux-version of the tagger too?

Reply #31
Is it legally ok to package this for Linux distros, think an rpm package?
An eye for eye will make the whole world blind

Reply #32
Is it legally ok to package this for Linux distros, think an rpm package?

The license says
This License does not provide any rights to reproduce and/or distribute this software package in whole or in any part.
so I think the answer is no.

Reply #33
No unfortunately, the next release will have huge (because there is room for that  ) improvements for multichannel support.

Judging by the previous release schedule we're expecting a 6 - 12 month wait? So I won't hold off any encoding projects.

Thanks!
PC Dom: Sydney On Site Computer Support

Reply #34
Actually, for this release we do use the Intel compiler. I didn't know about this issue, will be better for next release.

Does this mean that we should use non-SSE version though our CPUs support SSE?

Reply #35

Reply #36
Great with a linux-version. Thanks a bushel.

But could we get a linux-version of the tagger too?

Thank you very much for the Linux release, but I have to second that request. At the moment, I have to turn to wine+Nero's tagger for tagging my mp4 files. Or does anyone have any other mp4-tagging solution handy for Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy? (Amarok supposedly does it, but I couldn't get my self-compiled sources to run, nor does my distro package offer the feature) I hope it's not too much trouble to compile the tagger likewise for Linux...

Reply #37

But someone have found bugs in SSE version,and we do'nt know if quality comes under the influence of these bugs.In another word,Will SSE version and non-SSE come about the files of same quality?

Reply #38
Thank you very much for the Linux release, but I have to second that request. At the moment, I have to turn to wine+Nero's tagger for tagging my mp4 files. Or does anyone have any other mp4-tagging solution handy for Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy? (Amarok supposedly does it, but I couldn't get my self-compiled sources to run, nor does my distro package offer the feature) I hope it's not too much trouble to compile the tagger likewise for Linux...

Well, what exactly is the problem that prevents you from successfully compiling the Amarok sources? Half a month ago I compiled the Amarok 1.4.6 sources on a Kubuntu Feisty system myself, in order to get MP4 tag writing and reading support for my newly created Nero AAC collection running. Just today the current SVN code flawlessly compiled as well. If it's about problems with the libraries found in the Edgy repositories, then Christian Marillat's Debian repository should fix the issue. At least that's the place where I got a working version of libmp4v2-dev (FAAD2) from, which is needed to compile Amarok with full MP4 support. MP4 Moodbar compatibility is another thing, this made me stick to the Debian unstable (Sid) repository in order to download the required gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad package.

And yes, I also second the request for a Linux command line tagger that could be used in conjunction with certain ripping GUIs, like K3b, KAudioCreator or rubyripper.

Reply #39
And yes, I also second the request for a Linux command line tagger that could be used in conjunction with certain ripping GUIs, like K3b, KAudioCreator or rubyripper.

mp4tags from the MPEG4IP package or AtomicParsley (SVN version)...

Reply #40
Well, what exactly is the problem that prevents you from successfully compiling the Amarok sources?

Can't remember exactly, but it was a source problem, not a dependency problem (followed a HOWTO others have followed with success, installed every package even remotely connected anyway); it complained about things not declared in the source IIRC. It is of course possible that I encountered an unfortunate moment where two updates clashed or something like that.

I cannot compile MPEG4IP because of the faac-faad2 incompatibility, but I gave up anyway because I want to test Feisty this week. Maybe I'll have better luck with compiling SVN sources on Feisty, or if anyone can point me to repositories holding the newest Amarok with mp4-tagging support, I can install them as well. Thanks anyway.

Reply #41
But someone have found bugs in SSE version,and we do'nt know if quality comes under the influence of these bugs.In another word,Will SSE version and non-SSE come about the files of same quality?

Which bug? Beside the bug that it is not working at all on some machines?
Just use the non-SSE build which also uses a lot of SSE code and is faster than the SSE build from the previous release.

Reply #42
mp4tags from the MPEG4IP package or AtomicParsley (SVN version)...

Thanks, I'll have a look into these. Preferably into the latter, since, now that you mention it, I remember that REACT2 also uses AtomicParsley for tagging .m4a/.mp4.

or if anyone can point me to repositories holding the newest Amarok with mp4-tagging support, I can install them as well

Haven't been successful concerning this one so far, but there's a package of EasyTag compiled with AAC support (easytag-aac) over at http://debian-multimedia.org. The repositories can be found on the site, the GPG key is here.

Edit: Medibuntu offers Amarok 1.4.5 packages for Edgy. Maybe even one with the desired MP4 tag reading/writing support, since they state that their repository includes packages that aren't part of Ubuntu for legal reasons.

Reply #43
I just wanted to take a quick second to thank Nero, Menno, and Ivan Dimkovic for producing a Linux binary of their software.

Even by today's standards we're a pretty niche group that often gets left by the wayside, and I appreciate the support.

Now I have a lot of learning to do .

Reply #44
I was making a bitrate table with the new encoder and when I listened to some files I noticed bad artefacts at ~130 kbps: ringing, more or less strong according to the samples and sometimes not noticeable at all. I've compared it with an older release to Nero AAC (1.0.7.0) at similar bitrate and there's absolutely no problem (in worse cases it's simply subtle).
An exemple is available and include a lossless sample with two different encodings:
http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=ICHI80GW

short descriptions of all problems:

02.00 -> 12.00: male chorus suffers from ringing with some metallic effects (the beginning of “shall” at ~04.00)
12.00 -> 15.00: Trumpets are distorted
15.00 -> 18.00: "acidity" on violins, ringing too - and still issues with trumpets
18.00 -> end: mix of all problems and as conclusion (21.00 - 23.00) noisy horns (short-impulses)

Reply #45
A new version of the Nero Digital Audio+ package has been released on http://www.nerodigital.com/

The package can be downloaded here: http://www.nero.com/nerodigital/eng/down-ndaudio.php

Thanks for the Linux version. I'm preparing a new Debian package (for i386 only, though) of it as we speak.

On thing, though: the license file says that no redistribution is allowed. How paranoid should I be regarding this?

Regards, Rogério.

Reply #46
Haven't been successful concerning this one so far, but there's a package of EasyTag compiled with AAC support (easytag-aac) over at http://debian-multimedia.org. The repositories can be found on the site, the GPG key is here.

Edit: Medibuntu offers Amarok 1.4.5 packages for Edgy. Maybe even one with the desired MP4 tag reading/writing support, since they state that their repository includes packages that aren't part of Ubuntu for legal reasons.

I use the easytag-aac package from Christian Marillat (which is quite responsive, BTW) all the time under a Debian with an old Duron 600MHz and I have no problems with it.

It tags MP3s, FLACs, AACs, Vorbis and even Speex (I asked the developers of easytag for this and they replied promptly with the support, as you can see in the Debian Bug Tracking System. I am sincerely quite satisfied with it.

I mainly use it for tagging, but I use iTunes in an HFS+ volume to organize the files. Everything has worked quite fine with me for playing things with my old (2nd generation) iPod and Linux players (I use three: moc, amarok, and audacious---note that this is not audacity, which is the audio editor).

I highly recommend that. Well, I highly recommend migration of anything to Debian.

Regards, Rogério.

P.S.: I discovered a very serious and silly bug in Apple's fsck of its native filesystem, HFS+. For more details, please see Bug 436159 in a package that I maintain.

Reply #47
On thing, though: the license file says that no redistribution is allowed. How paranoid should I be regarding this?

The license prohibits distribution. What is there to be paranoid about?

Besides, Quod Libet supports MP4 tagging via the Mutagen library. Picard, the MusicBrainz tagger, does too.

Reply #48
I use the easytag-aac package from Christian Marillat (which is quite responsive, BTW) all the time under a Debian with an old Duron 600MHz and I have no problems with it.

I'm not entirely happy with it at the moment, because embedding artwork inside ID3v2 tags for my portable player doesn't work well with the 2.1.2 version of EasyTAG. Displaying them with Amarok reveals heavy corruption of the images, which happens with both Christian Marillat's and an own compile. Gotta test the stable version in hope that it fixes this issue.