Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need Foobar2000 Monkey's Audio ENCODER (Read 12430 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Foobar2000 Monkey's Audio ENCODER

I've searched the internet (and this forum) but can't find the ENCODER component for Monkey's Audio (.ape).  All Foobar2000 sites only list the DECODER.

Can someone post a link to the Encoder?  Why isn't it on any of the official sites for foobar2000?

Reply #1
You can use Foobar2000 Converter + "Monkey's Audio Console Front End"
Thinking Outside The Box

Reply #2
Why isn't it on any of the official sites for foobar2000?

Because foobar does not need any special "encoder plugins" for encoding. It uses the normal commandline encoders of various audioformats for encoding. Thus, the encoders technically do not belong to foobar, because foobar can use ANY commandline encoder which supports stream input.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #3
foobar can use ANY commandline encoder which supports stream input.

For MAC stream support you need a special build which is still available on rarewares (despite the fact that there is no longer a link on the site ).

http://www.rarewares.org/files/ogg/MAC.zip

I'm pretty sure the standard build of mac.exe will work with fb2k as well, just that the setup is a little bit different.  Hopefully this will provide some help; I don't use fb2k for lossless encoding.

Reply #4
I don't get the point of it...

It is far more practical to install Monkeys Audio and use it to convert any files(s) to APE. It is as easy as ABC.

Foobar can be configured to encode to APE to, of course. Just make sure you have MA installed. In the Converter options choose "custom" and set the path to MAC.exe. Configure the parameters and there you go. Play and choose the song(s) and right-click--> Convert --> Whatever name you gave to the MA profile.

Greetz.

Reply #5
The point is that you only need one program, one file – mac.exe, and not install a huge package with VisualBasic GUI, Winamp plugin etc.

Reply #6
...and not install a huge package with VisualBasic GUI, Winamp plugin etc.

What are you talking about?

Reply #8
...and not install a huge package with VisualBasic GUI, Winamp plugin etc.

What are you talking about?

He means that the MAC frontend may be considered bloated for some.

I have been looking for this file for some time, thanks for the link, Greynol.

Now, just one more thing. What is the command line you have to supply? I could not make it work with MAC.EXE "%s" "%d" -cXXXX?

Any hint?

EDIT

OK, I was able to handle, with the MAC.exe file from greynol and the following command line:

%s %d -c2000

Two of the times it gave me an odd error, after generating the temporary .wav file, on the same directory as the encoded file. It was similar to this thread.
I could not find a way to make the .ape file without the temporary wav, thought. Greynol, can you give the help?

Reply #9
He means that the MAC frontend may be considered bloated for some.
The MAC GUI is small enough to fit on a floppy.

I could not find a way to make the .ape file without the temporary wav, thought. Greynol, can you give the help?
Well, like I said, I don't use fb2k for lossless encoding, but I'll see what I can do.  Looking at your command line and considering that the version I provided allows stdin, you should try it by replacing the %s with a dash.

UPDATE: I just tried it and after seeing this discussion, I don't think it's possible.

Reply #10
I've used a couple of times the mac.exe included in v3.99 distribution. Found no problems to generate a temporary wav file first. Or is this option also removed from foobar 0.9?

Reply #11
The point is that you only need one program, one file – mac.exe, and not install a huge package with VisualBasic GUI, Winamp plugin etc.

"Huge"?? My folder takes 2,95 MB. Back in the '70s it could be considered huge, but nowadays??
The Winamp plugin is optional, AFAIK.

I don't think having "right-click" options and a GUI can be considered "bloated": but this is just my opinion.

Reply #12
Yeah, I have serious doubts that foobar2000 will be able to use stdin with the modified build of mac.exe.  With this in mind, either it or the regular build (as j7n suggests) will work provided you're willing to deal with a temp file.