Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Duplicate ID3v2 tags (Read 3752 times) previous topic - next topic

Duplicate ID3v2 tags

I use foo_discogs exclusively to tag my files. None of them are hand-tagged in any way or changed by any program other than foobar2000.

I was reading about a problem with foo_dop and album artwork, and the problem was caused by duplicate ID3v2 tags in a file. A long time ago, I had noticed that some of the tags that I had written with foo_discogs were disappearing. I re-tag when I notice it, but sometimes it doesn't work. It happens on seemingly random tracks (not all the tracks on any particular album, for example).

I cracked open the files in a hex editor, and sure enough, there were duplicate ID3v2 tags. I opened foobar, found the files in my library, and using MP3 Tag Types... from the context menu, I unselected ID3v2. Voila! The tags returned to normal. As you might expect, going back into MP3 Tag Types... showed that the ID3v2 box had "magically" re-checked itself.

Does anyone know how I can remove all the duplicate tags without losing data and without killing my harddrive by reading/writing 10,000 files?

Duplicate ID3v2 tags

Reply #1
hm. serious thing... ill try to check it on my mp3s.
---
ive checked first file, wich i have tagged yesterday... in foobar 0.9.5  and foo_discogs 1.2
no duplicates were found...

what you have here:
Preferences->Advanced->Tagging->MP3->Force Preferred tag writing scheme on all files regardless of existing tags

in my case it is checked...

i think that it is not foo_discogs fault any case... because, as i suppose, foo_discogs using standart foobar2000's  tagging mechanism...

Duplicate ID3v2 tags

Reply #2
Well, assuming that it was/is a bug, can anyone write something that scans files for duplicate tags and removes one of them? I do know PHP and I'd throw something together with that, but I have no experience working with binary files or ID3 tags.

Duplicate ID3v2 tags

Reply #3
I use foo_discogs exclusively to tag my files. None of them are hand-tagged in any way or changed by any program other than foobar2000.

I was reading about a problem with foo_dop and album artwork, and the problem was caused by duplicate ID3v2 tags in a file. A long time ago, I had noticed that some of the tags that I had written with foo_discogs were disappearing. I re-tag when I notice it, but sometimes it doesn't work. It happens on seemingly random tracks (not all the tracks on any particular album, for example).

I cracked open the files in a hex editor, and sure enough, there were duplicate ID3v2 tags. I opened foobar, found the files in my library, and using MP3 Tag Types... from the context menu, I unselected ID3v2. Voila! The tags returned to normal. As you might expect, going back into MP3 Tag Types... showed that the ID3v2 box had "magically" re-checked itself.

Does anyone know how I can remove all the duplicate tags without losing data and without killing my harddrive by reading/writing 10,000 files?

Very weird problem. foo_discogs use standard foobar APIs for tagging, the same ones used by the properties window. What is the tag duplicated ? is it always the same tag ? On files that have duplicated tag do you see the dplication in the properties window ?
Did you use another app that may have rewritten some tags as ID3V2.3 ? Foobar writes ID3V2.4 and I lost some tags using a DJ app writing ID3V2.3 tags...

Duplicate ID3v2 tags

Reply #4
Did you use another app that may have rewritten some tags as ID3V2.3 ? Foobar writes ID3V2.4 and I lost some tags using a DJ app writing ID3V2.3 tags...

My brother used WMP11 in my computer, and all " %genre% " tags, i.e. " Pop ", were replaced with " Other " .

Duplicate ID3v2 tags

Reply #5
have u tryed    Tagging->Rewrite file tags  ?