Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linksys WRVS4400NX Business Gigabit Wireless-N VPN Security Router (Read 29106 times) previous topic - next topic

Linksys WRVS4400NX Business Gigabit Wireless-N VPN Security Router

[deleted]

Reply #1
Nice detective work, looks like a quite awesome platform.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #2
[deleted]

Reply #3
Hi TrNSZ,

Can you explain (step by step) us how you've make the new firware ?

Thanks in advanced 

Reply #4
Awesome work...i got a wrvs4400n for xmas and would like to improve the crappy linksys firmware...how did you manage to build your ohn firmware with drobear etc?
Best regards,
mike

Reply #5
You made me subscribe to this forum !
This is a great step forward custom firmware for this nice box. All "usual" alternate firmwares (dd-wrt, open-wrt, sveasoft, ...) are not considering porting to wrvs4400n, so you are our last hope !
The problem seems to be on the binaries which prevent newer kernels to be compiled
Let us know your progress on this awesome box !
Linksys is to release a firmware very soon to correct broken DHCP behavior soon, but well...... I'd prefer a clean one and openness

and Happy New Year !

Reply #6
hi do you have any information when linksys is releasing an new firmware? i also did have problems with dhcp...
yesterday i tried to flash a new firware which i compiled myself...but the result was rather disappointing...the red led is always on and the router ist bricked....now i am sending it back for repair..

greetings
mike

Reply #7
has anybody been able to build from source the firmware? I tried and ended up with firmware that is smaller than the one downloaded?  did they exclude something required to build?

Reply #8
I would be interested in seeing etherchannel support. I realize the switch supports trunks, but I've always liked the concept of etherchannels. No real advantage to the technology, just something fun to play with (say, dual GigE off to a linux server FTW?  )

Ryan

Reply #9
This post is what made the decision for me to purchase the WRVS4400N instead of the WRT600N. 

But sadly in haste, I "assumed" the "dual radios" meant it would work 5Ghz 11n over one radio, and 2.4Ghz 11b/g over the other radio.

Coem to find out after several calls to Linksys 2nd tier support is that, and I quote, "The 2nd radio is not in use at this time.  The next version of the hardware and firmware will support 5Ghz A and N.  But your version will not be flash upgradable to support this as the hardware has changed."

That ticked me off because in my building, a 11g spectrum analyzer shows 42 seperate B/G networks and 15 "N" networks.  Too much interference for me to hold a solid 11g connection.  And all of the 11n networks are sitting on 20 and 40mhz.

What's interesting is no one is on the 5Ghz band.  So this is why I am returning the WRVS4400N and going for the WRT600N (and dd-wrt when it matures more for the 600n). 

Good luck with the wrvs4400n!  It really looks like an impressive piece of hardware.  But with no support planned from dd-wrt and this "oh, there is a 2nd radio - but it is not used" experience, the 4400n lost a big fan.

Reply #10
Hi TrNSZ,

First let me thank you for your great work on this router!

Did you ever get anywhere compiling a custom firmware and uploading it? did it work? could you give us an update on your work on this router? last thing we heard from you about this was like 4 months ago, I cant believe you did all that work to just abandon it...

Cheers,

Lumute

Reply #11
Hello.

I recently purchased the WRVS4400N and when I tried to do as the instructions stated I found that your FTP site is no longer working. do you know when it will be back up or when you will post the firmware image?

Reply #12
Would anyone have a backup of those files and the script... Been trying to contact TrNSZ but he sadly seems to have vanished from the web all along his ftps and all the files...

Reply #13
[deleted]