Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Preferred media player? (Read 15130 times) previous topic - next topic

Preferred media player?

Hey, all.  I thought that I would try and do an updated poll regarding the most popular/preferred media player.  But first, would you like to chime in which players should be on the list?

Currently:

foobar2000
helium music manager
iTunes
J. River Media Center
MediaMonkey
Winamp Media Player
Windows Media Player

Anything else?

I’ll put out a poll with the top picks in about a week.  Or is this a dumb idea? 

Of course I'll put the "poll" thread in the proper forum once I get a good list of preferred players...
"He's a natural born world-shaker."  -Dragline

Preferred media player?

Reply #1
You might want to add RealPlayer and the Zune software to the list.  Either that or combine the Zune software with Windows Media Player.  I know of a few people (not here) that use RealPlayer and a couple other people that rely on the Zune software for everything.

Preferred media player?

Reply #2
Hey, all.  I thought that I would try and do an updated poll regarding the most popular/preferred media player.  But first, would you like to chime in which players should be on the list?

Currently:

foobar2000
helium music manager
iTunes
J. River Media Center
MediaMonkey
Winamp Media Player
Windows Media Player

Anything else?

I’ll put out a poll with the top picks in about a week.  Or is this a dumb idea? 

Of course I'll put the "poll" thread in the proper forum once I get a good list of preferred players...

Definitely add VLC.  It would probably rank fairly high in usage in a forum like this.

Preferred media player?

Reply #3
You might want to have one poll for Audio Media Players and another for Video Media Players. Just a suggestion.

Preferred media player?

Reply #4
There is this Yahoo! Music Jukebox. I used to try it when it first came out but I've never seen anybody use it nowadays. It's kind of like RealPlayer, you know, noboby uses but it's there...

How about Media Player Classic? I'm pretty sure that many people use MPC. Thugh, it does not have a function of media manager like what are in your list.

Preferred media player?

Reply #5
Might want to add Amarok, MP3Toys, Songbird and The Godfather..

Preferred media player?

Reply #6
Lots use musikCube. I would myself if it supported CUE sheets and had customizable library displays.

I don't know if you want to include this list that was just started as well.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Preferred media player?

Reply #7
Audio - Winamp
Video - Zoom Player

Preferred media player?

Reply #8
Audio - Winamp
Video - Winamp with the VID4WA and ffdshow plug-ins

VID4WA allows video to be directed in fullscreen to either display on a dual-monitor system, and ffdshow allows for custom post-processing filters for image enhancement of various formats of digital video including MPEG-4.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Preferred media player?

Reply #9
Also add MPD, Quod Libet

Preferred media player?

Reply #11
Oh yeah-

Audio - Foobar2000
Video - VLC
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Preferred media player?

Reply #12
Media Player Classic comes shipped with the K-Lite Codec Packs, so it's bound to have some popularity.  It's a decent video player, but a lousy audio player.

Preferred media player?

Reply #13
You might want to add MPC-Homecinema onto the list too. It takes over where the development of the old Media Player Classic stopped and has native support for Video-DVD, H.264 and VC1 as well as supporting plug-ins such as ffdshow for custom post-processing image enhancement. Nothing else I've tried even comes close to this for playing back DVDs on my 60" projection screen.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Preferred media player?

Reply #14
Audio - foobar
Video - VLC

Both - Vista Media Center for the TV connected to PCHC.

Preferred media player?

Reply #15
I've gone off VLC lately, in terms of video players I tend to either use MPC Home Cinema or SMPlayer, the best MPlayer frontend in my opinion.

Preferred media player?

Reply #16
video on win, add mpui (mplayer) and smplayer (also mplayer)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Preferred media player?

Reply #17
Foobar.

(I'm also using winamp, but only for ml_ipod).

VLC for video only.

Preferred media player?

Reply #18
I suggest seperating audio and video.

I use for
audio: foobar2000
and video: GOM player

Preferred media player?

Reply #19
Audio: Winamp (with DFX, at least)
Video: MPC-HC with ffdshow and (randomly) KMPlayer...
audiophile // flac & wavpack, mostly // using too many audio players

Preferred media player?

Reply #21
Audio : fb2k
Video : MPC-HC

fb2k : geeky but effective
MPC-HC : because it works (coupled with CCCP)

Preferred media player?

Reply #22
I would definitely include Amarok, as has already been mentioned, and also possibly XMMS2, and MPlayer, which I use quite a bit nowadays.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Preferred media player?

Reply #23
audio - foobar
video - VLC