Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v0.9.5.3 beta 2 (Read 42558 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v0.9.5.3 beta 2

foobar2000 v0.9.5.3 beta 2 has been released!

Here are the changes:
  • New: Startup notification when a component is known not to cooperate correctly with this version of foobar2000.
  • New: “Library Viewer Selection” playlist, compatible with Album List and Media Library Search.
  • New title formatting functions: $stripprefix(), $swapprefix(), $year(), $month(), $day_of_month(), $date(), $time().
  • New extensions to the search query syntax.
  • Album List: faster refresh when using the built-in search box.
  • ReplayGain scanner: applying ReplayGain to MP3 data no longer chokes on noncompliant ID3v2 tags with false MPEG sync words.
  • ReplayGain scanner: new services allowing third-party components to perform ReplayGain analysis.
  • No longer compatible with components using metadb_display_hook API.
  • Changed component DLL loading logic - only “components” subdirectory along with its subdirectories is processed if it exists.
  • (New in beta 2) Playback queue index is now displayed in the “Playing” column of Default UI / Playlist View; it can be also accessed using %queue_index% .
Download: http://foobar2000.org/beta/index.html.

Reply #1
Is there a chance of a list of known components that use metadb_display_hook and hence won't function with the new version being stickied? Maybe an addition to or an edit of the Known Problematic Components post?

Edit: Because I was curious, I decided to do a test install. The result: The startup notifier stated that foo_cwb_hooks, foo_playlist_tree, foo_ui_panels, and foo_uie_powerpanels wouldn't work. I didn't really do extensive testing to see how non-functional all of these components actually were, though. The SCPL and the Track Info panel from Panels UI seemed to load and display correctly, at least.

Further Edit: Slightly more extensive testing confirmed that cwb_hooks functions indeed don't work (which I suppose is no great shock, given the past warnings). Playlist Tree seems to work, though I didn't exactly put it through all its paces. The Panels UI components I use (the SCPL and the Track Info display, using Columns UI to actually display and position everything) seem to be functional, even the odd display functions that these components use. Likewise, foo_uie_powerpanels does seem to work (or at least the clickable seekbar in one of my track info displays still works just fine). Again, this was not extensive testing, and what works in my little configuration should not be taken as a guarantee of function in anyone else's.

Reply #2
Is there a chance of a list of known components that use metadb_display_hook and hence won't function with the new version being stickied? Maybe an addition to or an edit of the Known Problematic Components post?

Currently, for me, when I launch foobar2000, it pops out:

The following components are incompatible with this foobar2000 version and will function partially or incorrectly:
- foo_cwb_hooks.dll : cwbowron's title format hooks, Tagger Panel Window
- foo_dsp_crossfader.dll : Gapless Crossfader
- foo_ui_panels.dll : Panels UI
Please update these components to their latest versions if possible.

edit3: removed irrelavant stuff.

Suggestion: It would be good to have a replacement variable for the lost CWB functions, such as %cwb_systemdatetime% and %cwb_systemtime% and %cwb_systemdate%, since the time fucntions were added anyway .
:)

Reply #3
  • New extensions to the search query syntax.

Thank you SO MUCH for implementing these. The Time related queries are particularly welcome.

Foobar just keeps getting better with each release .

Reply #4
Thanks dev, the new additions to query syntax are just what I needed.

Reply #5
I've split a few posts discussing the components that break here.  Please continue that discussion there, not here.

Reply #6
I've split a few posts discussing the components that break here.  Please continue that discussion there, not here.

Hi,

Kaspersky is reporting that foobar2000.exe is changed, everytime I close and reopen it. Why is it doing that in 0.9.5.3?

Reply #7
Hi, I hope that the following things aren't too off-topic (if so, feel free to split eventually).

For some reasons, I switched back to Default UI Interface quite some time ago, since it got improved. I'm facing a "Library Viewer & Sort" issue, or at least it's being one to me. I'd like that playlists created by Album list sends get sorted by a specific pattern (artist - date - album - etc.).
I configured the "Sort incoming files" param this way, I checked "Create always-sorted autoplaylists" since it seemed to match what I wanted to do, but obviously it doesn't.

I would like to do the EXACT same thing that "Create autoplaylist" does, except that I want it do be done in the constantly same playlist (Library Viewer Selection in the more specific terms of this topic).
In another words, as of 0.9.5.3b1 (or any other previous release), is it possible to force the event "Send to Current Playlist" to sort sent items ? Or simply being able to sort the "on-click-generated-view" related to the Library Viewer ?
If not, would it be possible to add this feature in upcoming releases ?

Thanks a lot for any answer.
Again, I hope I'm not polluting an inappropriate thread.

Reply #8
THANKS A LOT for new search queries. At last i can have a proper "recent favorites" playlist

Reply #10
The help button for media library search doesn't work for me anymore.

Reply #11
Suggestion: It would be good to have a replacement variable for the lost CWB functions, such as %cwb_systemdatetime% and %cwb_systemtime% and %cwb_systemdate%, since the time fucntions were added anyway .
Peter has recently explained twice why having title formatting fields depending on the system time is problematic.

The help button for media library search doesn't work for me anymore.
It no longer shows a popup window. Instead it is supposed to open the HTML file with the query syntax help in your default browser, which is similar to what the "Title Formatting Help" command in the help menu does.

Reply #12
Kaspersky is reporting that foobar2000.exe is changed, everytime I close and reopen it. Why is it doing that in 0.9.5.3?
foobar2000 0.9.5.3 does not contain any self-modification function.

Okay never mind. It stopped telling me that now..

Peter has recently explained twice why having title formatting fields depending on the system time is problematic.

Thanks.

Reply #13
Thanks for the new version.
Great extensions to the search query syntax!

Reply #14
Thanks. Love the new search queries. =)

Reply #15
I am not sure how to interpret following comment to the Library Viewer Selection Playlist in the changelog: "compatible with Album List and Media Library Search". Can other components (especially Facets) access this feature too by SDK?

Reply #17
This might be a stupid question, but where do i find the "Library Viewer Selection", and what exactly is it?
Foobar2000 @ Onkyo SE-90PCI @ Sennheiser HD595 :)

Reply #18
Just fire up Album List and select something or Media Library Search and search for something. Of course you need to have Media Library feature and Library Viewer Selection enabled.

Reply #19
New: Startup notification when some of loaded components are known not to cooperate correctly with this version of foobar2000.

TCPA light. A developer maintained blacklist.

The following components are incompatible with this foobar2000 version and will function partially or incorrectly:
[...]
- foo_dsp_crossfader.dll : Gapless Crossfader

It's annoying. Remove the new popup. Just leave a comment in the console. This may still be helpful in case the user is hunting down a problem.

Code: [Select]
foo_dsp_crossfader.dll (2008-02-16 07:06:06)
    Gapless Crossfader 0.3.3.5 (SSE)

...does it's job pretty well here and btw the output component path has been removed long ago. If it's about this.

Reply #20
New: Startup notification when some of loaded components are known not to cooperate correctly with this version of foobar2000.

TCPA light. A developer maintained blacklist.

It's not a maintained blacklist!

Out of curiousity, does the startup notification work off a static list of components, or does it check dynamically for components that try to call this old API?
It checks for components that implement the old API.

Reply #21
OK, I see, thx Bimbel. Still I wish there was only a console log entry.

Reply #22
Little bug is found.
I have Faceit plugin and it use its playlist "Facet Selection".
When I start use  "Library Viewer Selection" option"  - "Library Viewer Selection" playlist was created.

Then I disable this option and both playlists "Facet Selection" and "Library Viewer Selection"  are removed.

But I don't want remove "Facet Selection", as I use Facet independently of Library Viewer Selection.

Reply #23
Code: [Select]
foo_dsp_crossfader.dll (2008-02-16 07:06:06)
    Gapless Crossfader 0.3.3.5 (SSE)

...does it's job pretty well here and btw the output component path has been removed long ago. If it's about this.
The main idea was to warn people about old versions of foo_dsp_crossfader that attempted to screw with output APIs, causing all kinds of interesting crashes. However, it turned out that foo_dsp_crossfader's developer lied to us and current versions still do that, just the symptoms that we saw earlier were hack-fixed. The component is considered banned now (startup notice is enough, I won't bother preventing it from loading), hopefully somebody more competent can make a new one sooner or later.
Why he even bothers trying to install his own output modules is beyond me, whatever he's trying to achieve with that can't be possibly working reliably anyway.

Edit
CORRECTION:
Current foo_dsp_crossfader version does not try to implement output modules anymore, I apologize for not having checked it properly before posting in first place, but the other reason for component ban stands, as explained two posts below. Acropolis was given a clear warning after the first incident that I'll ban him and his components with no questions asked next time such problems are found, he could have prevented this from happening but he chose not to.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #24
I can remember to have read that gapless crossfader uses title formatting to enable/disable some of its functions. Maybe that is the problem?