Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: S/PDIF Output Header on motherboard (Read 63914 times) previous topic - next topic

S/PDIF Output Header on motherboard

I tried doing a Google search about this, and searched this site as well but could not find the answer I was looking for. My motherboard has a 5-pin S/PDIF output connector that I would like to connect either to a DAC or HTR. Are these outputs mainly for graphics cards or can you buy a bracket or module that can be used to get the signal out of the computer case. I tried searching Newegg but could not find any such bracket or device. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use this digital output? I am mainly looking to use it for 2 channel.

Thanks.

Steven

Reply #1
I tried doing a Google search about this, and searched this site as well but could not find the answer I was looking for. My motherboard has a 5-pin S/PDIF output connector that I would like to connect either to a DAC or HTR. Are these outputs mainly for graphics cards or can you buy a bracket or module that can be used to get the signal out of the computer case. I tried searching Newegg but could not find any such bracket or device. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use this digital output? I am mainly looking to use it for 2 channel.

Thanks.

Steven

What MB do you have?  It sounds to me that you should have some kind of adapter to plug into that that came with your motherboard.  All of the digital outs I've seen were either optical or an headphone-type miniplug.

Reply #2
The motherboard is a XFX MG-630i-7159. It did not come with any module or adapter. I have a support ticket open with them to find out if they have any such device available. There is nothing on their website.

Reply #3
Look under SPDIF external brackets at the MythTV site. You'd probably have to find the correct pinout and move the pins in the header, as none of them seem to be 5 pins.

The onboard headers tend to be SPDIF at TTL levels(i.e. same format signal as coaxial SPDIF, but with different voltage levels). If you google for "ttl SPDIF" you'll find tons of simple converter circuits, ranging from buffered, transformer isolated interfaces to simple 2 resistor and 1 capacitor voltage dividers. The MythTV site gives directions on building a TTL SPDIF to optical adaptor, if you'd rather go that route.

(Does your motherboard manual list the pinout for the SPDIF header? I can't seem to get the manual from the XFX website, as I need to register with a product serial number and the like...and I'm not sure if even that would give me access. If you could send it to me I'd be happy to take a look. It's very common to have to move the pins on the connector from the bracket to match your sound card or motherboard.)

Reply #4
If you want coaxial output the easiest & cheapest way is to get a RCA socket and two wires. Connect the body and center of the RCA socket to the ground pin and OUT pin respectively of the SPDIF header.
Get a multimeter and find out which pin is what.
If you don't want to DIY, you can get a pre-made one from http://www.frontx.com/cpx106_2.html

Reply #5
Hi Steven,

I guess, you are talking about this connector, right ?

In this case, you could easily take any S/PDIF backplate you can get your hands on or even do it for yourself as mentioned before.

Cheers,
Maggi

Reply #6
If that's the connector you're talking about, simply buy or build a bracket, connect it to the GND and OUT pins, and you're good to go.

While it was suggested, I'd highly recommend against connecting an RCA connector directly to the jack. You really need at least a level shifter(the signal coming out of the header is 0V/+5V, and coaxial SPDIF is -0.5V/+0.5V), and ideally some isolation. Connecting it directly might work, but is is possible to damage downstream equipment, especially if its SPDIF interface is of lower quality. Moreover, you might find that different combinations of cable lengths and SPDIF receivers on the other end seem to work or not work rather randomly, as the signal on your MB is just designed to convey the signal inside the computer, not necessarily drive various external loads.

Reply #7
Or, as you have a +5v VCC, you could make an optical out. Just need an optical transmitter. I made my own using a recycled SPDIF output from an old cd palyer or something for a Satellite tuner card I had and it works great

Reply #8
The most common audio solution (on motherboard) appears best suited for DIY enthusiasts? Who would have thought...

Reply #9
Thanks everyone for the feedback. XFX support was no help at all. They told me to use the coax connector on the rear panel which is actually an input. 

Thanks again. You guys are great!

Reply #10
Hi Steven,

I guess, you are talking about this connector, right ?

In this case, you could easily take any S/PDIF backplate you can get your hands on or even do it for yourself as mentioned before.

Cheers,
Maggi

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for doing what I should have done in my initial post!

Does anyone else use one of these mobo SPDIF outputs or is a sound card better?

Reply #11
I'm using that kind of connector 24/7 and it works a treat ...

The only thing you might consider is using an optical TOS link for proper galvanic isolation, in case your PC uses a different power phase than your amplifier.

Cheers,
Maggi

Reply #12
or is a sound card better?

A sound card is readily available. Building a realiable connector yourself requires a collection of electronic components, parts and some knowledge. And of course a real soundcard does not offer just a SPDIF port.

Reply #13
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have a similar problem.  I'm running this equipment:
KN9 SLI-F V2 Mobo
XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX Video Card
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)

I'm trying to figure a way to export my sound via toslink to my Sony Entertainment Center.  Just purchased a ASUS SPDF OUT/ COA & OPT bracket from Best Buy Business and ordered 35' of toslink cable.  Bracket did not come with connectors or cable.  Can't seem to get spec's on the ASUS bracket.  Need to find a clip for Mobo JSPD1 riser (3 pin), don't know output voltage on Mobo JSPD1 riser, (afraid of frying it if I slip with tester - no clip).  I feel like I'm rambling, no sleep.  I guess what I'm wondering is if the SPDF output on my motherboard will run the circuit on the (ASUS SPDF OUT/ COA & OPT bracket).  If not, do I need to butcher it to make this work?

Thanks,
Mark

Reply #14
Just reviving this old thread to hopefully get some more info on this header as I would like to make a simple spdif_out to spdif_in loopback for testing.

My motherboard is gigabyte GA-M780G-UD3H and it's got exactly the same 6 pin header as show above in this thread for SPDIF_out and SPDDIF_in. It's got an optical SPDIF out on the back panel, but it's got no spdif_in (other than this header). I was just wondering if I wanted to make a simple spdif loopback would it be ok to jumper pin3 to pin4 (out to in) on this header? I'm guessing that they'll both be TTL levels so it should work. Does anyone have any ideas on this before I do it?

Thanks

Reply #15
Just reviving this old thread to hopefully get some more info on this header as I would like to make a simple spdif_out to spdif_in loopback for testing.

My motherboard is gigabyte GA-M780G-UD3H and it's got exactly the same 6 pin header as show above in this thread for SPDIF_out and SPDDIF_in. It's got an optical SPDIF out on the back panel, but it's got no spdif_in (other than this header). I was just wondering if I wanted to make a simple spdif loopback would it be ok to jumper pin3 to pin4 (out to in) on this header? I'm guessing that they'll both be TTL levels so it should work. Does anyone have any ideas on this before I do it?

SPDIF isn't TTL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

SPDIF is a signal that is at least 1 volt p-p and goes + and - from ground. TTL levels range from about 0.5 volt (a zero) to about 5 volts (a one). 

There are many circuits on the web that will convert one to the other, such as

http://www.hardwarebook.info/S/PDIF_input

Looping the digital output of an audio interface back to its input is not a slam dunk like it is for analog.

The usual convention is that a computer audio interface obtains its clock from an active input, and uses that clocking signal to clock its output. However, if you loop the output to the input of the same card, where's the clock coming from?

Reply #16
Hi Arnold. I know that true spdif is a +/- signal like that but it was my understanding that most motherboards implemented it in approx TTL levels at the actual header and that it was the adapter (to bring it out to the back panel) that had the interface circuitry to convert it to correct spdif levels. That's kind of the point of this query, I think it's most likely this way but I'm not sure. In any case I suppose it should work as long as both the "in" and the "out" are using the same levels there at the header, whether they're both TTL or whether they're both correct spdif levels.

I think I'll just give it a test and hope for the best.

Reply #17
Hi Arnold. I know that true spdif is a +/- signal like that but it was my understanding that most motherboards implemented it in approx TTL levels at the actual header and that it was the adapter (to bring it out to the back panel) that had the interface circuitry to convert it to correct spdif levels.

That's one of two possible implementations. I've seen two types of plug-in header assemblies.

(1) Entirely passive, actually not only passive, but just wire and a connector. This seems to cover 50% or more of the implementations that I see. They probably transplant well from system board to system board, if the pin-out of the MB connector is right. It is often possible to dissasemble the wires and pins from the MB connector and reassemble them with a different configuration, if necessary.

(2) Some circuitry on the header, including active electronics.

That's kind of the point of this query, I think it's most likely this way but I'm not sure. In any case I suppose it should work as long as both the "in" and the "out" are using the same levels there at the header, whether they're both TTL or whether they're both correct spdif levels.

Yes.

I think I'll just give it a test and hope for the best.

Usually the MB electronics driving this stuff is fairly robust.  A ca. 30+  MHz oscilliscope is a handy tool.