Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What would you like to see as fifth contender in the upcoming MP3 listening test?

LAME 3.97 -V5 --vbr-new
[ 43 ] (71.7%)
FhG 4.1 CBR without quality switch (almost 80x encoding speed)
[ 10 ] (16.7%)
Gogo 3.13 ABR (with or without additional quality switch is to be discussed)
[ 7 ] (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Topic: Fifth Contender of MP3 Listening Test (Read 7445 times) previous topic - next topic

Fifth Contender of MP3 Listening Test

In order to finally finish the discussion about the encoders to be used in the upcoming MP3 listening test at 128 kbps, I would like to let you decide what to use as fifth contender. Some of you wanted LAME 3.97 in order to have a direct comparison between the new 3.98 and the old 3.97, others are interested to see how the speed optimized Gogo performs and I (maybe others too) had the idea to test FhG 4.1 in CBR mode and without any additional switches because it encodes at almost 80x according to some quick tests.

I hope many people will vote. Whatever comes out first until let's say Thursday next week will be used so we can finally move on to the samples discussion.

Reply #1
The antecedent discussion thread(s) are quite long, hence: could you sum up the 4 codec settings that have been fixed yet?

Reply #2
Sorry, what's the first 4?

1)LAME 3.98,
2)FhG with Q switch and VBR,
3)iTunes using best quality settings,
4)Helix VBR
?

Reply #4
As far as I can see so far, Gogo is the least wanted contender so it's good that we have this poll. Keep voting.

(I am saying this because Gogo was the fifth contender of choice initially.)

Reply #5
Though I'd like to see GoGo's result we have to make up our minds in order to restrict the number of contenders. (My vote was FhG 4.1 fast CBR, but I understand that Lame 3.97 attracts more interest).
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #6
According to this thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry214018

Gogo was released in 2004 and is based on LAME 3.92. I do not really see the interest in testing it. FhG 4.1 is similarly old but at least it is a different codebase.

Reply #7
As far as I understand, it is based on 3.88 with some additions from 3.92's codebase like --vbr-new, so it's not that the underlying "engine" was replaced entirely by 3.92. Please correct me if I am wrong.