Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC rantlist (Read 13547 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC rantlist

- 1.1.0 msvc projects are broken, static libraries simply don't work without editing, because of "#pragma comment(lib, __LIBNAME__)" in export.h (with __LIBNAME__ defined to eg. "libflac.lib" when output library is libflac_static.lib)
- 1.1.0 msvc projects also need editing (or environment variables) to get nasm to work. use ide-configured executable paths instead, it saves people work.
- hitting "rebuild all" in msvc apparently deletes some included header files (ordinal.h if i remember correctly)
- seeking past the end of file enters infinite loop (tested 1.1.0)
- oggflac still can't seek
- no file callbacks in for tag updating, current FLAC tag updater in foobar2000 is a really ugly hack and has unfixable problems
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

FLAC rantlist

Reply #1
You can fix easily (at least) the first 3 problems... make a patch and send it to the flac mailinglist

FLAC rantlist

Reply #2
duly noted.  all but the last are planned for the next release.  can you elucidate on what you want for the tag updating?

Josh

FLAC rantlist

Reply #3
file access callbacks are needed to modify tags on files that can't be accessed through char* filename for some reason (eg. unicode filenames in winnt or files that aren't a part of OS filesystem)

FLAC rantlist

Reply #4
Problem with the winamp dll:

Currently in the File Info box, the Comment field is doing a lookup on the DESCRIPTION field of the flac tag.

It doesn't really make sense to reference a non standard field.
Proud member of the FLAC and MPC evangelism

FLAC rantlist

Reply #5
Problem with the winamp dll:

Currently in the File Info box, the Comment field is doing a lookup on the DESCRIPTION field of the flac tag.

It doesn't really make sense to reference a non standard field.

has been changed quite a while ago. get the lastest version here:
http://x-fixer.narod.ru/download/in_flac.zip

also, look here for a list of "standard" fields in vorbis comment (that's used in FLACs) 

FLAC rantlist

Reply #6
Nice plugin however it is not the one packaged with the flac distro. Which is obviously the one I was making reference to above. I looked in another post and you guided someone to your site, after someone pointed out the link to the reference plugin. Then you said "much updated version (also if you don't want to download 1.5MB package " Your plugin is NOT an updated version of the original reference, if it was I would suspect it would be in that same .zip file on the flac homepage. Since you don't document jack squat about your plugin I can't seem to find a reason to think the contrary. 

I am so unimpressed by this because you visit the flac page, it is setup like a proper project should be. No links, no references, not one single mention of your site. Yet this plugin of yours is the definitive answer, with only two posts, that I could find, on this site referencing it. If you are going to advertise this thing to me sir please make it a little more presentable. Hell there is no license for it even I don't know if it is legit for me to use it. If these shortcuts are made in your presentation I tend to wonder about the code as well. Just not a good way to get a following as far as I am concerned.

By standard I meant de facto since 2/3 of the tags out there use the comment field. I am sure it is worth bringing up since they are appended to my archived files I am encoding from. I was premature in calling it a bug, however it is an annoyance. A quick function addition would make it possible to look up the comment field if the description field isn't present in the vorbis comment.

FLAC rantlist

Reply #7
LOL

1. flac package was not updated for a while. it obviously does not contain the lastest code.

Your plugin is NOT an updated version of the original reference

surely it is  and it will get into official package someday (when Josh will have time to update the stuff).

3. if you'll bother to look into "authors" file in the package you're so concerned about, you'll find my name there. if you'll bother to search in "validated news" forum you'll find some development history. the license is GPL, since it's the updated version of original plug-in. if you really worry about the code, I can send it to you.

what else?... if you need a link, I can ask Josh to add it to this site.

and I see no reasons for a long discussion here

FLAC rantlist

Reply #8
X-fixer is right, the reason for the discrepancy between his latest code and the latest FLAC release is that I have had almost no time to work on FLAC lately.  I will have some free time starting in mid-April and I will incorporate his latest and tie up a lot of other loose ends.

Josh

FLAC rantlist

Reply #9
X-fixer I am sure your code is just fine, I am however ranting about how it is presented. Explain exactly what you revised (short list), what reference plugin version you used. These are simple things that people like, how can you argue with this. I did do a search in the forum for "flac plug-in" and "flac winamp", while it displayed results it doesn't present the thread you are speaking of. Maybe a sticky in the lossless forum would eradicate any confusion. I think also of people who are not blessed with HA, how are they to perceive things when they visit your site. I was at your site before this topic, unfortunately I clicked the back button because of how I perceived things. I really do appreciate what you guys are doing, don't get me wrong. But if I am the proud new owner of a $12,000 request box I really don't want to be referred to your site (x-fixer) and have to download files to get any info on what I am downloading. Contrary to what you might think after reading, I am only trying to help.

Sorry for veering into this, but I do like your plugin x-fixer. Thanks for your help and the plugin

FLAC rantlist

Reply #10
Josh: could you, please, add a link to my plug-in (somewhere in download section?). it seems to be pretty stable. And good luck, again

Morphix:
1. the thread I was referring to. and I can't add sticky - I don't have rights here

2. there's a libFLAC version used in about dialog. there's no changelog, because this version was started as experimental (the core of plug-in was rewritten), and I was not sure how this will work. I'll add changelog next time, I'll update it. (btw, have you ever used PP's wa2update? there was no changelog ever  )

3. what's wrong with how "it is presented"? (I mean, not mentioned above)

and what's wrong with my site?

and I just get irritated by long posts (that do not have to be so long), because I'm lazy to read. sorry. you're always welcome

FLAC rantlist

Reply #11
This in_flac.dll you constructed really has to be advertised. It is exactly what I was looking for and was the last hurdle for moving from .ape to .flac.

It took 4 hours to find this file and I'd also posted a question about the (now defunct) problem - at this time 35 people have viewed it but not been able to answer it.

I will now edit my first question and I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of adding a further post detailing your fix (which will hopefully show up on standard search engines too).

Thanks for a great fix X-Fixer

Skywalkerjen

FLAC rantlist

Reply #12
This in_flac.dll you constructed really has to be advertised. It is exactly what I was looking for and was the last hurdle for moving from .ape to .flac.

It took 4 hours to find this file and I'd also posted a question about the (now defunct) problem - at this time 35 people have viewed it but not been able to answer it.

X-fixer's FLAC plugin for Winamp2 was incorporated into the FLAC installer for Windows at http://mikewren.com/flac a while back. 

FLAC rantlist

Reply #13
Damn - thanks Mike - I got the FLAC codec from [url=http://flac.sourceforge.net/][a href="http://flac.sourceforge.net/" target="_blank"][a href="http://flac.sourceforge.net/" target="_blank"]http://flac.sourceforge.net/[/url][/a] [/a] (being lazy and the first site listed on Google).

I looked at everything on the http://mikewren.com/flac/ site (except didn't get the downloader from there!) I am getting it now though thanks.

Skywalkerjen

FLAC rantlist

Reply #14

I am way behind on a lot of things but I hope to catch up in the next few weeks and incorporate X-fixer's latest.

Josh

FLAC rantlist

Reply #15
Hey - no problems - the codec is great and I did get the fix I wanted in the end. And all for free so I'm definitley not complaining. Just think you guys do this good work and it's hard to get hold of!

Skywalkerjen

FLAC rantlist

Reply #16
- oggflac still can't seek
- no file callbacks in for tag updating, current FLAC tag updater in foobar2000 is a really ugly hack and has unfixable problems

*bump*
At least those last two still not fixed. Too lazy to verify others.
I have to admit that from all formats currently supported by foobar2000, FLAC is the one causing most problems, there is no week without some new FLAC input blowup. Comparing to other formats, I don't remember seeing any issues with ape or wavpack decoders for last months; even bloody mpglib got bugfixed and has been working perfectly for quite some time.
Most of FLAC decoder problems are caused by extremely bad design of libflac API, requiring people using it to take care of big amount of useless details related to the way library works.
Apparently FLAC developers prefer adding new "features" such as embedded cue rather than fixing issues or finishing other features they started adding before. In other words, yet another wonderful opensource project.
Bleh.

FLAC rantlist

Reply #18
I agree that FLAC could use some polishing.

How do I tag my Ogg FLACs? Why does metaflac --add-replay-gain or flac --replay-gain add identical track and album values, when only one is needed? Why --add-replay-gain, not --replay-gain?

FLAC needs more developers IMHO. (*hint hint*)

FLAC rantlist

Reply #19
I agree about Ogg FLAC, it could be useful, but current implementation is a joke.

FLAC rantlist

Reply #20
Error detection/correction capabilities could use some improvement, native container can't bypass automatically simple few byte corruption, Ogg FLAC can't detect such errors at all and produce audible glitches.

FLAC rantlist

Reply #21
Error detection/correction capabilities could use some improvement, native container can't bypass automatically simple few byte corruption, Ogg FLAC can't detect such errors at all and produce audible glitches.

Um... I feel a slight bit uneasy by this. Are you saying there are bugs in flac which prevents the detection of an unsuccessfull decoding?

[Please God, no, don't let the FUD get me!]

FLAC rantlist

Reply #22

jcsston from the matroska dev team tried hard to make FLAC in MKV possible, but unless libflac or OggFLAC code will make things a lot easier for us, this wont happen, because nobody in the team has the time to write a new FLAC parser from scratch, just so we can find out about frame boundaries without having to call the decoder, slowing the muxing process down significantly and playback with video impossible, unless you have a PIV 3 GHz or a Hammer .....

FLAC rantlist

Reply #23

Um... I feel a slight bit uneasy by this. Are you saying there are bugs in flac which prevents the detection of an unsuccessfull decoding?

No.

As near as I can tell, this is all just a "shame and awe" campaign to try to get me to implement some missing features.

jcsston from the matroska dev team tried hard to make FLAC in MKV possible, but unless libflac or OggFLAC code will make things a lot easier for us, this wont happen, because nobody in the team has the time to write a new FLAC parser from scratch, just so we can find out about frame boundaries without having to call the decoder, slowing the muxing process down significantly and playback with video impossible, unless you have a PIV 3 GHz or a Hammer .....

I already answered in the other thread that it is not possible to find frame boundaries in native FLAC without decoding.  Writing another decoder from scratch will not speed anything up.  If this is really a roadblock then start with Ogg FLAC as the input, which does not have this limitation.

A P4 3 GHz is clearly overkill, as stereo 44.1/16 FLAC decodes 10x realtime on a P2-333.

Josh

FLAC rantlist

Reply #24
As near as I can tell, this is all just a "shame and awe" campaign to try to get me to implement some missing features.

Witch hunt!!!