Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio-enthusiast insanity (Read 22066 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio-enthusiast insanity

In Quest of Absolute Fidelity: The Saga of the Black CD [PDF - 1,01 MB]

This guy claims that recording music onto a black CD-R disc, yields the following:

The CD copy is more musical, in particular, the high frequencies ring with trueness that I used to experience only from records and live performances. The air and the image stability are much better, and instruments and vocals sound more dynamic and true-to-life. And most importantly to me, the sense of timing and “foot-tappity-ness” of live music was there.

:x

"Foot-tappity-ness". That's a new one.

But wait. It get's worse:

I have found that plugging in a USB mouse and moving it around while the disc is being written with a USB CD writer makes the sound “edgier” and gives an unnatural hardness and grain to cymbals.

I am at a loss for words.

I put the CD writer on four small Isodiscs and damp it with another four large Isodiscs on top. To ensure a stable power supply, I plugged all the computer equipment into a PSAudio Power Plant5 to ensure that power fluctuations will not affect the writing process.

It goes on like this.

I don't claim to know everything about everything, but I can smell bullshit a mile away, and the smell of this is overpowering.

Reply #1
muhahaha  lol i laughed my ass off when read that thing with the USB mouse. 

Reply #2
muhahaha  lol i laughed my ass off when read that thing with the USB mouse. 

Its great you can laugh. This shit just makes me weary lately.

Getting old and crabby I guess.

Reply #3
And most importantly to me, the sense of timing and “foot-tappity-ness” of live music was there.
:x

"Foot-tappity-ness". That's a new one.

Actually it's not... I believe it originated with the Linn LP-12 turntable and something the marketing people called "PRaT" (Pacing, Rhythm and Timing) -- aka "foot tappety-ness."  Marketers of high-end audio gear really have to use emotional arguments to sell equipment -- technical specs are not very appealing, interesting or meaningful to most people (and how accurate such specs are is another thing, too).

Note that I don't disagree with you on the topic itself... ridiculous, laughable. 

Edit -- I wonder about the USB mouse thing tho.  I used to have a USB NIC, and would get a crackling sound whenever a sound file was playing and the NIC was transferring data at the same time.  USB implementations are so often buggy that I wonder if the guy might have something there... perhaps erroneous data is getting written to the CD-R.

Reply #4
Edit -- I wonder about the USB mouse thing tho.  I used to have a USB NIC, and would get a crackling sound whenever a sound file was playing and the NIC was transferring data at the same time.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that some sort of interference could occur between the USB CD-R drive and the USB mouse.

makes the sound “edgier” and gives an unnatural hardness and grain to cymbals.

That just sounds like something he pulled out of his ass.

A USB mouse transfers like 1/1.000.000 the amount of data (just pulled that out of my ass) of a NIC. No way I belive that that could somehow cause a CD-R recorder to misbehave. Anyways, the recorder has a huge buffer that should have no problem keeping up with the "bandwidth steal" of the USB mouse.

Reply #5
Black CDs, however, were supposed to have better reflectance than gold or standard CDs. The Black CD also has better absorption of the laser beam. As the laser has to burn pits in order to write data, the better absorption enables it to burn a more consistent pit.

In general, the best CD writers for this would be ones with the most
powerful laser to ensure that the burns are consistent and deep (pits and
lands are sufficiently differentiated). Usually the fastest writer has the
strongest laser.

Of all the brands I?ve found, I like the ?Platinum Black? but Arnie
preferred the ?Memorex? as being more musical than the Platinum,
but a touch less dynamic. (The advantage of the Memorex is that it is
one of the few available in the U.S.)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!11111111

lmfao

Reply #6
The guy who wrote this is such an idiot it's not even funny...
This just sucks. I wonder how much bullshit info such as this there is compared to SANE info, my bet is much, much more... [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](i don't like to bet, then why do i bet all the time?? )[/span]

Reply #7
I must have driven my wife mad playing the same piece of music over and over again for almost two months, and insisting that she help me distinguish between the various copies!

Any divorce lawyer would have an easy case with this guy.

Reply #8
I think there's a huge disconnect between logical, rational types, and emotional-intuitive types.  Sometimes I wonder if this gap can be bridged, or if each side will keep on wondering what the hell's wrong with the other...

(sorry, just rambling/musing... pay me no attention  )

Reply #9
Well, these claims are probably BS, but technically, it could be possible.

Say your mouse would cause power instability in the cdrw drive (that would mean its a crappy designed drive, with bad separation of usb signal and power line. Jerking it around would cause more instability in the writer.

If you'd have such a crappy writer, probably it would be writing discs that are hardly within spec, with varying bit lengths and all that. Even without the mouse moving. (Edit:) I forgot to say, this cd-writer must be really bad, needing all this extra weight on top. My writer even finishes discs when I jump around on my skippyball-chair on the same wooden floor. (end of edit)

If you have one of those highly sensitive "audiophile" cd-players (you know, those that need concrete blocks on top for stability and all), it would probably get very jittery and doing lots of interpolation on such badly written discs.

Enter the black disc. I've read before many people are claiming that black discs work on old cd-players, whereas other cdrs are not accepted on those. Better reflection or something.

So, since the highly sensitive overly expensive show-off cd-player can more easily read the black discs, there is less jitter and read errors. Hence, better image stability (sounds like a timing problem).

But, when the mouse is moving, bit lengths are varying more, and hence unnatural harsness.

... uhm, guys, don't look at me like that. Really, I mean, I'm only saying it could be so, technically. Guys?

... ok, never mind. I never said it. 

Reply #10
Black CDs, however, were supposed to have better reflectance than gold or standard CDs. The Black CD also has better absorption of the laser beam. As the laser has to burn pits in order to write data, the better absorption enables it to burn a more consistent pit.

In general, the best CD writers for this would be ones with the most
powerful laser to ensure that the burns are consistent and deep (pits and
lands are sufficiently differentiated). Usually the fastest writer has the
strongest laser.

Of all the brands I?ve found, I like the ?Platinum Black? but Arnie
preferred the ?Memorex? as being more musical than the Platinum,
but a touch less dynamic. (The advantage of the Memorex is that it is
one of the few available in the U.S.)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!11111111

lmfao
ROFLMAO indeed....

Since when do burners create pits? ROFL some more....

But it seems black cd's do have better reflectivity. Sorry, that was ofcourse BS...

Reply #11
I've tried Memorex black (ATIP unknown manufacturer), and HiSpace black (ATIP MPO).
HiSpace showed several C2 errors at both 24x and 16x, Yamaha CRW3200, and Memorex a lot of them at Yamaha CRW3200@24x and Yamaha 6416S @6x.

Back on topic, a friend of mine has the same problem with the mouse.

When his screen saver kiks in, the burning crashes, so he must constantly move the mouse while burning a CD !

"What are you doing ?
(shaking the mouse like a madman) -I'm burning a CD !
-By hand ?"...

Reply #12
"What are you doing ?
(shaking the mouse like a madman) -I'm burning a CD !
-By hand ?"...

Reminds me of a novice friend whose writer died, but he didn't realize it at first because (and I quote) "I assumed smoke was natural when burning a CD."

- M.

Reply #13
I've ABX'd the following disk colors against the plain silvered variety by recording identical tracks on each.

This is what I found....

Black disks: More soulful (good for R&B)
Red disks: More anger, energy, frenzied (acid & hard rock, punk, heavy metal)
Blue disks: More meditative, transient, mellow (trance, electronic, ambient)
Green disks: More commercial w/ repetitive beats (pop)
Yellow disks: More earthy, minimalistic, muted percussion (folk, bluegrass)
Purple disks: Had a hard time with this one - had the same qualities as the Blue & Red...only merged! No matter what was recorded on it I would fall to sleep and wake up dancing! (avoid this color at all costs!)

The above tests were all done on new disks

On heavily scratched, nearly unusable (but still recordable) disks I found that color didn't matter (with all the dropouts & bad spots & playback errors)...but don't throw them away! I found these disks to actually improve the sound of certain genres (rap & new country) and of certain artists (Britney Spears and Tiffany).

I hope my test helps (in some small way) to clarify the CD color issue.

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #14
"I assumed smoke was natural when burning a CD."

Very funny. But I think it's usually like this: Only if it's coming out of a bong at the same time.

Reply #15
A little while ago on HardForums maintained by HardOCP.. a guy argued that he used a RAID-0 setup for the sole reason that his music sounded better and he could definitively tell identical mp3s being played.. whether or not the HDD setup was RAID-0 or not..

Pure idiocy... here's the link for some laughs: http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?s...threadid=476911

Reply #16
omg guys, wtf is this sh*t with colors and mouse interference or crap, its all BS!!! CDs are digital media, just plain 1s and 0s FFS!!! theres no way cd color may change quality or stuff... i dont even think the crappiest of the cd players would...

These are the most extreme cases of placebo effect ive ever seen...

Reply #17
theres no way cd color may change quality or stuff

It's all your fault Xenno. 

Reply #18
I think there's a huge disconnect between logical, rational types, and emotional-intuitive types.  Sometimes I wonder if this gap can be bridged, or if each side will keep on wondering what the hell's wrong with the other...

I don't understand this dichotomy. I use both all the time. I use logic where I can, and intuition where I can't use logic. I can even mix the two with some level of consistency. It makes writing papers hella easy.

Reply #19
It's all your fault Xenno. 

So people actually believed what Xenno posted?

Reply #20
It's all your fault Xenno.  :D

So people actually believed what Xenno posted?

Of course. I'd been searching ages for that snooze-to-funky-music-and-wake-up-in-a-boogie-mood effect, and it turned out purple discs were the asnwer all along!

- M.

Reply #21
I've ABX'd the following disk colors against the plain silvered variety by recording identical tracks on each.

This is what I found....

Black disks: More soulful (good for R&B)
Red disks: More anger, energy, frenzied (acid & hard rock, punk, heavy metal)
Blue disks: More meditative, transient, mellow (trance, electronic, ambient)
Green disks: More commercial w/ repetitive beats (pop)
Yellow disks: More earthy, minimalistic, muted percussion (folk, bluegrass)
Purple disks: Had a hard time with this one - had the same qualities as the Blue & Red...only merged! No matter what was recorded on it I would fall to sleep and wake up dancing! (avoid this color at all costs!)

This has got to be the funniest post of the month!
LOL

Not quite on topic (hmm, but the topic is kinda about stupidity) I had a friend who would not use a cd if he could see through it (specially for PSX games) because he said the laser could go through and burn a hole through the lid of the playstation! I swear to God!
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #22
I'm going to laugh about that playstation thing for days.
r3mix zealot.

Reply #23
Won't get me out on the dance floor unless you got BLACK discs!

Reply #24
*rotfl*

thanks for the entertainment guys!

Regards, fileman.