Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What about Frauenhofer\'s Polkamonkey? (Read 7335 times) previous topic - next topic

What about Frauenhofer\'s Polkamonkey?

I've heard some claims about the existence of a "new" compression technology called Polkamonkey, made by Frauenhofer. This would be a lossless compression of sound media with a 10:1 ratio. Why isn't it released? I've heard that the music industry won't allow it... Does anybody have more info about Polkamonkey?

Reply #1
I believe Matt first came up with this joke. Not 100% sure was is Matt (createor of Monkey's Audio) or some other. It's a joke anyway.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
And FhG is not concentrating their efforts on new audio coding algorithms anymore, they are working on MPEG-7 multimedia identification algorithms.

Reply #3
Ivan - so it makes PsyTEL the only one AAC encoder that really matters?

Reply #4
If I remember well, there was a secret release of PolkaMonkey++ one year ago.
It's able to put a whole DVD on a single floppy, without any quality loss (the result is claimed to be "DVD-quality"). It's really a great thing. Unfortunately it's not publicaly available yet...

Note that Microsoft is not too far from that, as they now achieve "perfect CD-quality" with 48kbps wma8.

Reply #5
Originally posted by maciey
Ivan - so it makes PsyTEL the only one AAC encoder that really matters?

Hmm... FhG's MPEG-2 AAC encoder was completed in 1998, and the development was carried out since 1994.

LAME achieved FhG MP3 in late 2000/early 2001, so they are several years in front of us  This is not surprising because they designed standards with AT&T, Dolby and Sony and others.

There is ongoing development of very low bitrate codecs (addition of bandwidth increasing tools, like SBR) - but this work has been carried out by companies like codingtechnologies.de

It is possible to provide more flexibility than FhG codecs, and this has been proven with LAME - and PsyTEL AACEnc, these codecs have advanced VBR modes and some other features that fhg codecs do not have.

Reply #6
That reminds me of the old "Windows 95 equals Macintosh 84" line. So there really is no FhG PolkaMonkey? LOL  Now you see how urban legends get started.

Reply #7
For everybody who's able to understand German: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hps-10.01.02-000/

Some company has anounced a lossless  compression scheme which provides miraculous ratios. (On all data, not just audio) Does away with Shannon's Theoreme which is widely accepted.

Probably just another hoax to get some media attention.  It's just too good to be true.

Reply #8
Yeah, they will be giving a demonstration in 2 weeks or something.
www.zeosync.com

Reply #9
the emphasis lies on "or something"

would you like to know about BenTECH unlimited. We've invented a brand new format which can compress audio to 1bit with no significant loss in quality.

This press release may contain forward-looking statements. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, including, without limitation, financing, completion of technology development, product demand, competition, and other risks and uncertainties.

muahahahahaha

Reply #10
Hey, Ben, send me an encoder 

What will be your format's name?

Reply #11
Originally posted by rjamorim
Hey, Ben, send me an encoder  

What will be your format's name?

I would suspect something along the lines of DDF (Data Destruction Format)

Reply #12
sorry it is currently not available. When we finish testing there'll be a public test version:D

Reply #13
Originally posted by Gabriel
If I remember well, there was a secret release of PolkaMonkey++ one year ago.
It's able to put a whole DVD on a single floppy, without any quality loss (the result is claimed to be "DVD-quality"). It's really a great thing. Unfortunately it's not publicaly available yet...

Note that Microsoft is not too far from that, as they now achieve "perfect CD-quality" with 48kbps wma8.

I'm glad I wasn't taking a drink of coffee when I read that