Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to Enqueue and Play aka Send to Playlist and Play? (Read 22315 times) previous topic - next topic

How to Enqueue and Play aka Send to Playlist and Play?

Hi.

I just installed foobar, yay for me  , and now I am trying to to the following:

Double clicking a file in Windows Explorer would add the track to current playlist and play it immediately.

I have been searching the forums and I've stumbled upon foo_utils, but I simply don't know how to use the commands and bind them to double click, or even adding them to Windows context menu. Also, if there is a way, is it possible to do it to all foobar associated files? I'd really appreciate this function.

Reply #1
Hi.

I just installed foobar, yay for me  , and now I am trying to to the following:

Double clicking a file in Windows Explorer would add the track to current playlist and play it immediately.

I have been searching the forums and I've stumbled upon foo_utils, but I simply don't know how to use the commands and bind them to double click, or even adding them to Windows context menu. Also, if there is a way, is it possible to do it to all foobar associated files? I'd really appreciate this function.

I second this one :

I guess he's asking for an "enqueue AND play" without replacing the currently playing playlist.
Win7 Pro - latest stable foobar

Reply #2
There is an option (^P > General > Windows Shell Integration) for setting default send playlist
Enabling it would not overwrite your current playlist (except if it is the playlist you set for default send action, in which case you can enqueue)
And of course you can't set it to Playback Queue playlist which is locked

Reply #3
There is an option (^P > General > Windows Shell Integration) for setting default send playlist
Enabling it would not overwrite your current playlist (except if it is the playlist you set for default send action, in which case you can enqueue)

Yes, I know - the option I ask for is to enqueue in current playlist and play at once. This is very very useful (in fact indispensable) for building dj playlists.
Maybe there is such an option - maybe there is a pluggin with such an option - I spent a lot of time searching but didn't find anything. 

Reply #4
Why do you need windows explorer "enqueue and play" when foobar has soo many extensions for managing tracks?
For example, foo_uie_explorer which is a CUI panel, lets you browse your computer and has context menu "add to playlist and play"
foo_playlist_bind on the other hand can watch for folders/drives and update playlists if you don't want to use media library feature for some occasions
Or maybe there is something else I'm missing

Reply #5
Why do you need windows explorer "enqueue and play" when foobar has soo many extensions for managing tracks?

Cause one thing about foobar I like (it is my default audio player in years, and I intend it to remain so) is its minimalism. I don't want any extensions for managing my tracks (and no column ui, at least for now). I am an old time guy, I hate those itunes and m$ media player inspired libraries. My god, I have even a shortcut for creating a new folder and I don't need any help with managing my files, thanks. In the name of Zeus, I just want to open my folder F:\MUSIC, doubleclick on a track and having it enqueued and playing. That is the single thing I miss in foobar. The single only one.

Reply #6
@ random_nick,
@ Udun,

playing files immediately which have been added by double click or by Windows context menu could become possible by changing the corresponding settings in the registry.

Be aware that fatal problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly, in the worst case scenario you have to reinstall Windows. So if you are not an advanced user who knows what he is doing leave it as it is. Furthermore it is possible that reassigning your file type associations or a foobar update will overwrite your modifications and it is also to be considered that your setting 'Set "Enqueue" as the default action' in foobar's Preferences (File Types-configuration window) plays a role. For some registry keys you need administrative rights.

I don't know which OS you have (32/64 bit, XP, Vista, Windows 7) and what foobar version. Therefore and due to the reasons above-mentioned the following hint is a very basic guideline solely:

- Start the Windows Registry Editor.
- In the left window go to the root entry named "My Computer"
- Menu Edit / Search...
- Activate "Find whole strings only"
- Search for "play in foobar2000"

You will get several hits. If you are sure you have reached a key which controls those behaviour you want to change, replace the existing value with
"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /add /playnow "%1" (don't forget the quotation marks).

Adjust the exe-path if necessary. If /playnow do not work try /play. You have to do so for all file types foobar2000 is associated with and for the pertaining directory shell context commands. I have another system configuration than you, a testing here is not sensible. I cannot guarantee that it works but it is a chance.

Instead of manual editing your registry you could repost your concern as a feature proposal. If the foobar's developers have set it up to not play enqueued files immediately I could imagine that there are some reasons for.

Robertina
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #7
@Robertina :

Thanks indeed - I will try this registry tweak asap and post back.

Yes I would feature request it (I have a feeling there is no particular reason for it being left out, probably no one thought it useful or anything). I would would I know where

Reply #8
@Robertina :
Thanks indeed - I will try this registry tweak asap and post back.

Good luck! 

Reply #9
Well - it doesn't seem to work - tried both /play and /playnow - replaced all the
Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /playnow "%1"
with
"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /add /playnow "%1" then 
"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /add /play "%1"
Used an utility (regCopa, shareware), I couldn't find any decent freeware.
Still probably it can be made to work (maybe replacing %1 ?)
Any further suggestions welcome

Reply #10
What? Registry Editor is bundled with Windows.

And note that these entries are used only for compatibility with older programs, e.g. Explorer opens the files using foobar2000's shell extension instead (when they are associated from fb2k's File types panel; since 0.9.6).
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #11
What? Registry Editor is bundled with Windows.
Does regedit have find and replace functionality ? No, it doesn't.
And note that these entries are used only for compatibility with older programs, e.g. Explorer opens the files using foobar2000's shell extension instead (when they are associated from fb2k's File types panel; since 0.9.6).
Please elaborate. What I did was : using "find and replace" I replaced all the lines (REG_SZ) "C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /playnow "%1" with  "C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /add /playnow "%1" etc as detailed in my previous post. Should I modify other lines too ? And yes, these lines were under the keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\foobar2000.exe\shell\play\command\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.{various extensions assosiated with fb2k}\shell\play\command\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\foobar2000.exe\shell\play\command\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\foobar2000.{various extensions assosiated with fb2k}\shell\play\command\
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2468204900-2659659624-1341429380-1005\Software\Classes\Applications\foobar2000.exe\shell\play\command\
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2468204900-2659659624-1341429380-1005_Classes\Applications\foobar2000.exe\shell\play\command\

Reply #12
It seems that you realy need this command
Have you checked command line first?

On my computer it acts like this:

[font= "Lucida Console"]"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /add /playnow "%1"[/font]

replaces the playlist and plays, and:

[font= "Lucida Console"]"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /add /play "%1"[/font]

enqueues files, but plays from the last playlist position, and not the queued files

Same thing for:

[font= "Lucida Console"]"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /add "%1" /play "%1"[/font]

Reply #13
Well - it doesn't seem to work - tried both /play and /playnow ...
Still probably it can be made to work (maybe replacing %1 ?) ...
Any further suggestions welcome

Udun,

I am sorry that the registry hack does not work but as I said: it's only a chance.

I am sure that Yirkha would have helped you but the situation seems to be more complex. So please undo your registry changes.
Replacing "%1" is not an option: it is a placeholder for the file which foobar shall play.

If you are using a file manager which can handle command line parameters for external programs ask here whether you would attain your goal with foo_runcmd.

Robertina.

Reply #14
Thanks Robertina - my file manager is explorer so...

Thanks everyone

PS it is a feature request then.

Reply #15
I do realize that this thread is several months old, but since no solution has been posted, I thought I'd post mine so others may benefit from it.

To enqueue and play a file from the command line, enable Playback/Playback follows cursor and use the following syntax:

foobar2000.exe /add /immediate Filename.flac /play

The switch /immediate is required because otherwise foobar2000 would start playing before adding the file to the playlist.

Reply #16
I do realize that this thread is several months old, but since no solution has been posted, I thought I'd post mine so others may benefit from it.

To enqueue and play a file from the command line, enable Playback/Playback follows cursor and use the following syntax:

The switch /immediate is required because otherwise foobar2000 would start playing before adding the file to the playlist.

Great news !! Do you think this can be incorporated to the registry (or rather to foobar's "shell extension" - see posts above) ? This would be awesome !
OOPS : does this just  enqueue the file ?

Reply #17
Yes yes - it does work - but from the command line - could anyone please let me know how can I make it work from explorer (foobar's "shell extension")?

Also - this command adds the file to the beginning of the playlist - any switch for adding it at the end ? (default user interface)

Thanks in advance !!

Reply #18
For example, foo_uie_explorer which is a CUI panel, lets you browse your computer and has context menu "add to playlist and play"

Well for me, sometimes I download mp3 from the web (like beatport) and when chrome (or firefox for others i guess) tells me that the download is finished, I just double-click it right there from the browser. So if the file can enqueue and play, it would matter in this situation. I don't want to open foobar and then start navigating folders in foo_uie_explorer, locate the track inside the folder, and click "add to playlist and play" in the context menu. This is just an example but I am sure there are other situations which would warrant a proper shell extension solution for this rather than workarounds.

I hope this feature request is taken up by the developers, it is something I really miss from winamp.

Reply #19

The complete code is this, right?
"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /add /immediate "%1" /play

It functions only adding a single file. Adding more files, foobar add the first one, starts to play for a microsecond, add the second one, starts to play for a microsecond, etc. 
Is there a fix?

Good behaviour instead for the directories. Pity for the forcing to enable the "Playback Follows Cursor" function, that I don't like. So also in this case would be helpful a fix.

For the RAR/ZIP archives... bad notices. The function adds the songs, but doesn't play them.

Anyone knows some fixes?

Reply #20

Here is my issue with respect to the above.  I have a button bound to a shortcut that sends the selected track to a playlist when I press the button.  The problem is that foobar then asks which playlist I wish to send the track to, and I have to select the desired playlist before the track is sent to it.  What I want to occur is that when I press the button the track is automatically sent to the desired playlist without foobar prompting me to select the playlist that I desire the track to be sent to.  If I understand the above correctly, I can tweak the shell integration settings so that when I press the button the track will be automatically sent to my desired playlist without the prompt.  Am I correct?  I am using foobar 1.01 and windows 7.

Reply #21
I don't know which action you have chosen but I guess you have foo_utils. Select button action for "Send to playlist and play" or similar to some predefined playlist. If playlist does not exist action will fail gracefully

Reply #22
I don't know which action you have chosen but I guess you have foo_utils. Select button action for "Send to playlist and play" or similar to some predefined playlist. If playlist does not exist action will fail gracefully

I don't have foo_utilis. My understanding is that it is not yet compatible with foobar 1.0, am I wrong?  I use the send to playlist option in the context menu of foobar 1.01.  There is no option available to send a track to a particular playlist.

Reply #23
Foo_utils works just fine with current foobar.

terry

Reply #24
Foo_utils works just fine with current foobar.

terry

Ok, that will probably solve my problem b/c I believe foo_utils allows one to send a track to a particular playlist.