Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What does the "r" mean in LAME 3.9#r? (Read 6731 times) previous topic - next topic

What does the "r" mean in LAME 3.9#r?

I have mp3's encoded with 3.96r, 3.98r, I'm wondering what the "r" means. I know "a" means alpha, and I shouldn't use that. I've looked over the wikia, and can't find it mentioned anywhere.

Reply #1
It simply indicates that it's a stable release of the LAME encoder. I get the same thing when I use the LAME encoder within Winamp to create my MP3 files.

Reply #2
So, ( assume there's no difference between 3.98 and 3.98r? Good to know, thanks.

Reply #3
Literally it means "release", as in a release version rather than a beta version.

Reply #4
AFAIK the "r" in the current version of 3.98 stands for "revised".

Reply #5
AFAIK the "r" in the current version of 3.98 stands for "revised".

Yes, I do believe the "r" means "revised" from the original official release version (not beta).

The information below can be verified with dBpoweramp's audio properties (MP3 file properties) dialog box or by using Mr. Question Man.

An audio file encoded with the original non-beta public release LAME 3.98 version (not 3.98.2) will show as just 3.98 and will NOT show any "r" symbols.

LAME 3.98.1 will show as 3.98r (because this is the .1 revision to the original 3.98 release)

LAME 3.98.2 will show as 3.98r (because this is the .2 revision to the original 3.98 release)

If a LAME 3.98.3 version was to be released (this version does not exist), this will also show as 3.98r (because this would be the .3 revision to the original 3.98 release).

You may notice that any audio file encoded with LAME 3.97 shows as just 3.97 (no "r") because version 3.97 had no official revisions such as 3.97.1 or 3.97.2, etc.

Reply #6
same thing happened with 3.96, where the bugfix release 3.96.1 shows as 3.96r

Reply #7
"3.98" appears for MP3 files created with LAME 3.98. "3.98r" appears for MP3 files created with the revised LAME 3.98.1 and 3.98.2 releases. A little bit more information is available here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=18463

Edit: Post Link did not point to dBpoweramp forum as expected.