Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: sorting order, with a longer name (Read 4787 times) previous topic - next topic

sorting order, with a longer name

Hi,

I would like to know if sorting between "foo" and "foo bar" could be made more consistent

let me introduce with this screenshot :
[a href="http://img265.imageshack.us/i/fb2ksorting.png/" target="_blank"]

Cheers

Reply #2
Hi,

I forget to mention I am using a custom grouping scheme :
Code: [Select]
$if($meta_test(album artist),'['%album artist%']  ',$if($meta_test(artist),'['%artist%']  '))$if($meta_test(date),%date%[ - %album%],[%album%])
however the issue is identical with predefined grouping schemes

I think the issue is related with this precise part :
[a href="http://img5.imageshack.us/i/spacebackslash.png/" target="_blank"]
usings some things like $directory_path(%path%)

Cheers

Reply #3
Can't help with the sorting issue, but except for the fact that %album artist% does not only fall back to artist but also composer and performer, your grouping pattern should be the same as:

['['%album artist%']'  ][%date% - ][%album%]

Reply #4
Hi again,

I've begun, crafting this:
$replace($directory_path(%path%)'*'%filename_ext%, ,:)
it uses the facts * and : are forbidden characters in paths, and considers this ordering : "*" then ":"

C:\my path 2\another file.mp3
C:\my path\my file.mp3

becomes :

C:\my:path*my:file.mp3
C:\my:path:2*another:file.mp3

I'm open to suggestions

Cheers

edit : thank you Frank Bicking, I hadn't noticed %album artist% fall back to %artist% ! so my current grouping scheme becomes simpler :
['['%album artist%']'  ]$if($meta_test(date),%date%[ - %album%],[%album%])
ah, I use a $if(...) instead of [%date% - ], because I have files with %date% but no %album%, and don't like to display "ghost" hyphens

Reply #5
It's me again,

I cannot fully use this scheme, because the file order is determined when adding to playlist...
I can add a column with my scheme, and click on its header to sort the list, but I cannot directly load the playlist sorted

does anybody have an idea ?

cheers

Reply #6
Edit->Sort->Sort By...
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #7
thank you shakey_snake, I didn't know about this option
however, it doesn't solve the problem: it needs to be called each time... the setting is not automatically applied

edit : half solved... I put my scheme into : "Preferences > General > Sort incoming files by"
it is applied when loading from Windows Explorer, but not when loading from Album List...

Reply #8
edit : strange... I put my scheme into :
"Preferences > General > Sort incoming files by"
but looks like it is not applied
Playlists created from the Album List inherit their sort pattern from the Album List view.

It just so happens that the sort pattern is treated differently with Window's Natural Sort (what is used on the playlist, or Sort Incoming Files By...) than it is using the windows explorer tree (what sorts the Album List in "by folder structure" mode and the tree in explorer).

There's not much fb2k can do about it.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #9
Ideally, this behaviour of Album List might be corrected
One sees part of a folder structure in Album List, he expects this structure to be loaded in the same order in the Playlist View...

It would really be helpful for some users, including myself
Cheers