Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Binding playlists to hotkeys (Read 5625 times) previous topic - next topic

Binding playlists to hotkeys

Hello! I often listen to music while using different fullscreen aplications, so foobar's global hotkey feature is pretty useful.

However, I haven't found a way to easily switch to another playlist with a hotkey. In fact, I haven't found any way. Even when I've selected another playlist with the "Next Playlist" command, foobar won't play tracks from the currently selected playlist, it only plays tracks from the one I selected previously.

...Which is why I'm posting here. I'm trying to find a way to switch to a specific playlist with a hotkey, but it doesn't look like foobar supports that. Additionally, I can't seem to find a component that will let me do this.

Any help?

Reply #1
Here is command line tool, but you can't use it through foobar keyboard shortcuts, although it is a way to control foobar to play another playlist

Reply #2
Adding to what 2E7AH said, you can use foo_cmd_playlist together with foo_run.
To bind a certain playlist to a key first set up a new foo_run service like this: "C:\path\to\foobar\foobar2000.exe" /playlist-find:"My Playlist"
Then this run service will appear as a bindable keyboard shortcut.

Reply #3
I just wanted to edit my post and reply with that

to actually play the playlist:

"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /playlist-activate:"default" /play

and playback follows cursor must be enabled

Reply #4
Oh, wow! I wasn't expecting to get help so fast!

This is just what I need - well, not quite, I also wanted a random track to be played when I switch playlists. However, I just installed the foo_runcmd component and have found a way to do that. Thank you very much, I didn't think it would be possible to do this

Reply #5
"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /playlist-activate:"default" /rand

Reply #6
Another way to do this is offered by foo_scheduler:
  • Create a new action list like "switch to playlist 'unrated'"
  • Add the action "select active playlist" and choose the playlist you want to switch to
  • Create a "menu item event" in the list of events with the setting "re-enable after done" and assign the action list created before to this event
  • Now you can assign a keyboard shortcut to the new menu item which is located under "File > Trigger schedule event".

Advantage: no command lines, so independent of the fb2k location; action list can be extended to change playback order and other things.
Disadvantage: high clicks/result ratio.