Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Weird tag update deadlock and subsequent SNAFU - foo_softplaylist? (Read 7785 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird tag update deadlock and subsequent SNAFU - foo_softplaylist?

While this strange situation appears in beta 2 maybe it's not related to it: I copied tags from a release and then removed them, as I wanted to remove embedded album art quickly. After I pasted fields foobar locks at updating. Clicking Abort button does nothing. If I tried to close foobar it would say:

Tag update: If you close foobar results will be lost, are you sure?

But can't close, so I ended process.

Process monitor outputs just: Process Profiling all the time

And process explorer threads looks this way:

Not much info but it's reproducible for me

Reply #1
Please paste the stack dump of the thread foobar2000.exe+0xc1110.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSetEvent+0x294
ntoskrnl.exe!RtlEnumerateGenericTableAvl+0x9f4
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
ntdll.dll!RtlQueryActivationContextApplicationSettings+0x151
foobar2000.exe+0x75e96
foobar2000.exe+0x779b8
foobar2000.exe+0x78144

now it changed to:

ntoskrnl.exe!KeSetEvent+0x294
ntoskrnl.exe!RtlEnumerateGenericTableAvl+0x9f4
ntoskrnl.exe!NtSetInformationProcess+0x2c0a
ntoskrnl.exe!KiDeliverApc+0x111
ntoskrnl.exe!KeInsertQueue+0x330
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSaveStateForHibernate+0x14a7
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x393
ntoskrnl.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0xc6
ntoskrnl.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0xb5a
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
ntdll.dll!RtlQueryActivationContextApplicationSettings+0x151
foobar2000.exe+0x75e96
foobar2000.exe+0x779b8
foobar2000.exe+0x78144

after trying to exit foobar disappears but it process is live:

then I kill process

and BTW what is the format of the data in clipboard when I select fields then choose copy in properties?
I pasted the data in editor for future use, but when I copy it from editor and run foobar properties "paste fields" is grayed

Reply #3
after trying to exit foobar disappears but it process is live
Yeah, the main metadb lock seems deadlocked, so it can't even shut down right.

and BTW what is the format of the data in clipboard when I select fields then choose copy in properties?
I pasted the data in editor for future use, but when I copy it from editor and run foobar properties "paste fields" is grayed
It's an alternative custom format, needed for the difference between "Paste" and "Paste Fields" to work.

Reply #4
Hm..., this is very strange to me as foobar wont play my files either - even after I restarted windows and downgraded to 0.9.6.9. I can play files with other players and I tried with changing output devices

It's an alternative custom format, needed for the difference between "Paste" and "Paste Fields" to work.

Yeah, but how can I make what I pasted in editor to work with foobar "paste fields" if I copy that from editor, as I needed clipboard in the meantime for something else as I can't update my files?

[edit]Eh, silly me
I extracted archived config form one of Yirkha's autobackups and now I can play music again 
I guess some configuration file got corrupted

Although the problem with pasting fields stays the same - I can reproduce it again

Reply #5
Hm..., this is very strange to me as foobar wont play my files either - even after I restarted windows and downgraded to 0.9.6.9.
Have you tried with plain install with no additional components? And what kind of files?
ETA: So it was a damaged .cfg? Did you save the broken one so someone could look what happened?

Yeah, but how can I make what I pasted in editor to work with foobar "paste fields" if I copy that from editor, as I needed clipboard in the meantime for something else as I can't update my files?
You would have to use some clipboard viewer/manager which can load and save or just hold for a while whole clipboard data. Like the ClipBook Viewer does with its .clp files.

Reply #6
Have you tried with plain install with no additional components? And what kind of files?

No. Any type. Foobar locks at Loading... and I have to end the process

ETA: So it was a damaged .cfg? Did you save the broken one so someone could look what happened?

I guess. But I can make it if I try to use "paste fields" as described above then I can't even play files anymore

I renamed working backup as "autobackup.20091130-012520 - copy.zip" but it seems that the file got deleted. Luckily I had another working autobackup archive.

You would have to use some clipboard viewer/manager which can load and save or just hold for a while whole clipboard data. Like the ClipBook Viewer does with its .clp files.

ok, thanks

[edit] it's not happening on portable, so maybe it's some component mistake

Reply #7
But I can make it if I try to use "paste fields" as described above then I can't even play files anymore
OK. If you have time to mess with this, it might be interesting to replicate it on a smallest system possible (portable with only a few components).

I renamed working backup as "autobackup.20091130-012520 - copy.zip" but it seems that the file got deleted. Luckily I had another working autobackup archive.

Each time a new backup archive is created, older files matching "autobackup.*.zip" in the profile directory are deleted, to leave just last this number of them.

Reply #8
I can't reproduce it on portable install with all components and same media library

Here is CSV from process explorer after I paste fields and press update, then I press Abort, and after some time I end foobar process

[edit] I tracked down foo_softplaylist, but can't see what's this component doing

Reply #9
I'm pretty sure I've been getting this same bug.