Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Fields with semicolons written by other programs are not split (Read 10193 times) previous topic - next topic

Fields with semicolons written by other programs are not split

I used Tag & Rename to batch change my ID3 tags. I set T&R to use UTF-8 (Unicode) for the ID3 tags. When I was using the Facets plugin to view my media library, the multiple genres were not being separated (it just showed "genre1; genre2". I spent a considerable amount of time trying different things to fix this (I even discovered that $meta_sep() did not work), but the solution that worked was to open the tag editor in foobar and save it again. Immediately after I did that, the genres were separated and everything worked per the documentation. I'm curious what the underlying issue is and my initial guess is foobar uses a different character set than UTF-8 and it did properly read the tags. Any ideas if this is correct?

EDIT: I just read something on the FAQ that seems to disprove my claim: http://www.foobar2000.org/FAQ#tagging_files

Any ideas what may have been causing it?

Reply #1
You have no space after the semicolon perhaps. I just tested it and it caused the behavior you describe.

Instead of:
"genre1;genre2"
Change it to
"genre1; genre2"

Reply #2
You have no space after the semicolon perhaps. I just tested it and it caused the behavior you describe.

Instead of:
"genre1;genre2"
Change it to
"genre1; genre2"

There was a space after the semi-colon. The only thing I did to make this work was by opening up the tag editor in foobar and then saving it again. I did not even modify the tags - just opened and clicked save.

Reply #3
Well I just opened an mp3 with multiple genre tags in a hex editor. The actual value used to separate the genres is hex "00" also known as a null character, the semicolon as it turns out is just cosmetic. I'm not sure how you would replicate the same functionality in Tag & Rename.

Reply #4
Well I just opened an mp3 with multiple genre tags in a hex editor. The actual value used to separate the genres is hex "00" also known as a null character, the semicolon as it turns out is just cosmetic. I'm not sure how you would replicate the same functionality in Tag & Rename.

That might settle it right there if the "semicolon" is just a placeholder for the null character.

Reply #5
The semicolon was just arbitrarily chosen for foobar2000 to denote multiple fields of the same name.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #6
The semicolon was just arbitrarily chosen for foobar2000 to denote multiple fields of the same name.

I still don't understand why a semicolon written by another program would not be recognized as a multiple field splitter semicolon in foobar.

Reply #7
Quoting two of my older posts:

The semicolon is an arbitrary separator used to indicate multiple values in the foobar2000 properties dialog. How multiple values are actually stored in the files depends on the tag format, but none of the ones I know actually stores a literal semicolon. Semicolons written by other programs are just read as what they are. (...)

To split the genres, use "split values" in the properties dialog (either from the context menu or Tools/Selection).

In the actual tags which are written to the files, multiple values are not separated by semicolons, but other means, depending on the tag format. In the Properties dialog of foobar2000, the semicolon was chosen as an arbitrary separator to allow users to indicate multiple values. In Mp3tag, \\ is used instead. Your tagging application might use a completely different symbol, or other means like multiple lines, or might not support writing multiple values at all. Your tags contain literal semicolons, which, when read from the files, do not indicate multiple values.

Reply #8
Great reply! Maybe a revision to the foobar FAQ or wiki explaining this might be in order? That would've saved me an hour, and I certainly cannot be the first person to run into this.

Reply #9
So does "tag&rename" seriously not properly do multi-tag tagging?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #10

Not from my experience. If anyone else has Tag & Rename, I'd like to see if you experience the same issue as myself.

Reply #11
Yesterday I asked (via the Tag&Rename web site) if Tag&Rename will add support for multiple fields (Genre, Artist,etc.), but I do not expect a response based on the exponential decrease of activity from the company over the past 18 months, Tag&Rename appears to be either dormant or dead, neither of which is good for software you have to pay for.

Today while searching for answers I found this topic on hydrogenaudio.org

Not from my experience. If anyone else has Tag & Rename, I'd like to see if you experience the same issue as myself.

You are correct, when Tag&Rename finds multiple fields in the file header it merges them together under one field with only a space to separate them- I believe Tag&Rename should handle it like Foobar2000 as it's simple and effective; furthermore, if they insist on merging them into a single field --some kind of delimiter should be used- reverting back to a semicolon+space would be preferable in my opinion.

Some may argue that it is out of spec for xxx file type to have <insert issue here> which, in many cases is an excuse to avoid work. Many pieces of software support multiple entries in the 'tag' such as ARTIST= and GENRE= and I say, things change over time and adaptation can be healthy. Heck, most commercial DVD's you buy now are 'out of spec' as an attempt to detour copying but people adapt. So again, avoidance of logical change it's an excuse to avoid work.

As far as Tag&Rename goes- Four years ago I purchased Tag&Rename. I've made several attempts to contact them over the years. I've constructed visual presentations and simple questions over the years to suggest such things as:  Add field "Date Modified"; The ability to modify the file name without depending on tag info; The ability to have multiple Filters and the ability to invert the Filter results-- to highlight.  Some are quite simple to code, yet my suggestions have been dismissed, which is their prerogative, but the all out lack of response is highly unprofessional. The future for Tag&Rename looks dim for all of us unless the people at Softpointer poor another cup of jo and start typin!

Reply #12
On second thought...

After searching Google for "disable multiple tag entries foobar" and variations mentioning semicolons, I'm not having any luck gaining control over the whole multiple fields and the semicolon+space stuff in foobar.

So, Foobar professionals? How about the options to 1) choose the deliminator string for fields and 2) the choice of how the information is stored in the tag. Then the user could choose to use a semicolon+space as a deliminator and choose to have the information stored literally, e.g. "Blu Cantrell; Sean Paul" or as separate entries, e.g. "ARTIST=Blu Cantrell . ARTIST=Sean Paul".

My response would be thank you thank you thank you...

Then when the people at Tag&Rename wake up, they can do the same --Then we'll all be happy 

Have a great Day! 

Reply #13
How about the options to 1) choose the deliminator string for fields
You can use the split values dialog to split fields along whatever tag you want.

2) the choice of how the information is stored in the tag. Then the user could choose to use a semicolon+space as a deliminator and choose to have the information stored literally, e.g. "Blu Cantrell; Sean Paul" or as separate entries, e.g. "ARTIST=Blu Cantrell . ARTIST=Sean Paul".
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=671259
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #14
How about the options to 1) choose the deliminator string for fields
You can use the split values dialog to split fields along whatever tag you want.

2) the choice of how the information is stored in the tag. Then the user could choose to use a semicolon+space as a deliminator and choose to have the information stored literally, e.g. "Blu Cantrell; Sean Paul" or as separate entries, e.g. "ARTIST=Blu Cantrell . ARTIST=Sean Paul".
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=671259

Thanks for your quick reply, I'm under a time table to extract over 2300 cd's from flac to ogg. (CD's I've recorded myself -NOT downloaded) I recently spent several weeks putting all the Genre information in = Pop/Rock; Alternative Pop/Rock; Alternative/ Indie Rock; Blues-Rock or the like. I did read the entire page before posting and did learn how to split, but that's the opposite of what I need. I cannot see how I can keep the above example in a single Genre field even with your redirection. I want the information kept in a singular Genre field exactly as I've entered it, not split up-- so apparently I'm blind and require more simplistic instructions.. again Thanks again for your time and help.

Reply #15
Clear Preferences -> Advanced : Display -> Properties dialog : Multivalue fields and foobar won't auto split on a semi-colon when it writes meta-tags.

Reply #16
Clear Preferences -> Advanced : Display -> Properties dialog : Multivalue fields and foobar won't auto split on a semi-colon when it writes meta-tags.

Thanks 'Purple Monkey' for a real answer,  I cleared it but Foobar is still splitting my Genre’s up by every semicolon. I verified my fear with a hex editor-- It seemed logical and I do appreciate the help but this is getting discouraging. 

Edit: I'm working with cue embedded flac files. After the above post I decided to open the flac file in the hex editor and discovered the Genres were split up there also. Simply opening the flac in foobar and re-saving it didn't work. It looks like I'm going to have to open each and every genre variation and replace a letter to force foobar to fix the genre's in the flac files first, then convert the files to ogg. I've got about a day's work ahead of me so I better get goin. Thanks for your answer, it didn't fix the problem outright but it definitely put me back in business.

Reply #17
It won't split up the values of new tagged files if you cleared the multivalue association. If they were already split up you have to rewrite those tags. "Automatically fill values..." as a tool from Properties Dialog might help to do this as simply "Rewrite tags" won't do that. Select e.g. the Genre field of all affected files, go to:

"tools>automatically fill values"
source "other..." and
Code: [Select]
$replace(%genre%,',',;)
in the field to it's side.
And %genre% in the pattern field. Hit OK and you're done.

Don't know if there's a better way...
fb2k on OSX: flac q8 > rockboxed Sansa e280v1: Vorbis q5.0

Reply #18
It won't split up the values of new tagged files if you cleared the multivalue association. If they were already split up you have to rewrite those tags. "Automatically fill values..." as a tool from Properties Dialog might help to do this as simply "Rewrite tags" won't do that. Select e.g. the Genre field of all affected files, go to:

"tools>automatically fill values"
source "other..." and
Code: [Select]
$replace(%genre%,',',;)
in the field to it's side.
And %genre% in the pattern field. Hit OK and you're done.

Don't know if there's a better way...

Tools from the Properties dialog box, gotcha! With the shear volume of songs I have to repair it would have taken me days (I was overly optimistic earlier saying I had a day's work ahead of me); furthermore, you've showed me how to do mass replacements- Double whammy

Both you, 'callisto' and 'Purple Monkey' have my thanks for your time and help.

Thanks tons.

Reply #19
Ok, I believe this is on the same topic, or close enough. As usual I've searched for resolutions for this and had no success--

I have mp3's for AC/DC saved as much. I can verify the tag with a hex editor and it clearly shows A C / D C (A lot of my mp3 tag contain null characters between words in the tag, some do not--foobar keeps these characters).

I already implimented Purple Monkey's suggestion

And the field is now empty.

My problem is foobar is changing AC/DC to AC, DC
Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get foobar to retain my tags format and not reformat a field in this mannor?

Thanks again.

P.S. Foobar only does this to mp3's -- ogg's are maintained AC/DC.

Reply #21
After 30 years building computers and giving tech support-- clearly you have pointed out my ability searching hydrogenaudio is inept.

So after some reading through the numerous links you pointed to, it is stated, the spec doesn't support direct use of slahses- Gotcha!, furthermore; by your answer, I am to believe this cannot nor will be be customizable/overridden, understood.

FYI. Before posting, I did search for spec information of ID3v2.3, there too I found nothing usable.

May I request an additional link to ID3v2.3 reference spec-- if it exists?

Thanks

P.S. You are good at pointing to other places-- have you considered adding the name "Link" or "Pointer" (a programming reference) to your on screen name? 

EDIT: I solved issues with tags written by foobar being misread by Winamp.. (specifically album/track gain, genre, album artist/band) Where can I post my findings? Of course I've searched hydrogenaudio looking to post it as a reply to someone elses question(s) but found nothing. If posting an answer on here is not cool feel free to email me.