Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stop playback after the end of queue? (Read 4559 times) previous topic - next topic

Stop playback after the end of queue?

I love the add to playback queue feature in foobar and I am using it all the time. However, I was wondering if there's any way to tell foobar to stop playback at the end of the queue. I know you can tell it to stop after current but that does not work with the queue.

Reply #1
If you're using the queue for more than a couple tracks at a time, you should probably create a new playlist instead.

In that case, the playlist would come to a stop at the end of it when the playback order is set to the Default behavior.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #3
Thanks 2E7AH - this was much more helpful than shakey_snake's "you must do it the foobar's way, not the way you like", which is against fbk2 spirit ;-)
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Reply #4
Thanks 2E7AH, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Reply #5
Thanks 2E7AH - this was much more helpful than shakey_snake's "you must do it the foobar's way, not the way you like", which is against fbk2 spirit ;-)

How is the "foobar's way" against its own spirit?

He's showing you the intended functionality of the program.
<insert signature here>

Reply #6

How is the "foobar's way" against its own spirit?

The spirit used to be "let's allow the user to do things his or her way". The current foobar's way evolves into "let's allow the user to things only the way we think makes sense". Of course, it is still not bad, foobar is not like Apple products yet, but I see reduction of customizability in certain fields.

Reply #7
Of course, it is still not bad, foobar is not like Apple products yet, but I see reduction of customizability in certain fields.

I see this reduction too and am very happy about it. If you likes to talk about foobars spirit so please be aware that foobar2000 was never about customoizability - some third party components introduced this extreme level of configuration. Do you really think it is justified to see a spirit of a program wich is not the intention of its own author?

If i read shakey snakes post i only can remark that somebody tried to give you a good advice how to achieve your purpose. Probably he didn't know case's little component. The rest is your imagination.

Reply #8
Of course, it is still not bad, foobar is not like Apple products yet, but I see reduction of customizability in certain fields.

If you likes to talk about foobars spirit so please be aware that foobar2000 was never about customoizability - some third party components introduced this extreme level of configuration.

That's simply not true. Complete customizability of many menus, including systray menu, was a feature of older versions of foobar, not third party components. This feature is gone.

If i read shakey snakes post i only can remark that somebody tried to give you a good advice how to achieve your purpose. Probably he didn't know case's little component.

This is true, he might have not known of the component. I take back my criticism of his post. On the other hand, I remember seeing this useful and simple fetaure being asked for previously. Apperantly, there is a need for it, and while saying "you should probably create a new playlist instead" can be taken as "hey, you can't do what you want, but here is a workaround which may or may not work you" it also can be unerstood as patronizing "what you're asking for is improper, do it the way the creators intended"

Reply #9

If you likes to talk about foobars spirit so please be aware that foobar2000 was never about customoizability - some third party components introduced this extreme level of configuration.

That's simply not true. Complete customizability of many menus, including systray menu, was a feature of older versions of foobar, not third party components. This feature is gone.

That is very true! The point is now what is the right conclusion: The developers  have choosen a new direction? Or they are trying to follow the old direction more strictly?
Before we get too much offtopic let me say one last sentence: i am not the only one who loves the simplicity and userfriendliness of foobar2000 resp. the default ui and hope that the development will consequently go further this way.

Reply #10
while saying "you should probably create a new playlist instead" can be taken as "hey, you can't do what you want, but here is a workaround which may or may not work you" it also can be understood as patronizing "what you're asking for is improper, do it the way the creators intended"

It is not possible to construct advice or a statement that cannot be misunderstood as patronizing or insulting by at least someone. I found Shakey's advice proper in both word and meaning. If someone finds it "patronizing" that is entirely the listener's problem.*

"hey, you can't do what you want, but here is a workaround which may or may not work you"

The user wants a limited set of items to play in some sequence and then stop when they're all done. That is a playlist.

I use Add to Playback Queue from time to time, but not for anything more than skipping around a track or three. And that's just because I'm in the "My library is one big fat playlist"-camp. If you want more, use a playlist. That's their sole, express and explicit purpose. The queue is there so that foobar knows what to do when issued general playback commands. I find the feature to add things to it an interesting luxury, not a basic feature that users have a right to.

*) barring obvious and needlessly abrasive or arrogant tones of voice.

Reply #11
How to make shutdown the computer after the queue is played? I leave my computer playing till I sleep then I need something like this.

Reply #12
How to make shutdown the computer after the queue is played?

foo_scheduler can shutown your computer automatically, but only
a) after a fixed amount of time or
b) when playback ends (usually at the end of a playlist).

Reply #13
How to make shutdown the computer after the queue is played?

foo_scheduler can shutown your computer automatically, but only
a) after a fixed amount of time or
b) when playback ends (usually at the end of a playlist).

Well, I can put my queue in a playlist and then ... But for me, don't know why, foo_scheduler isn't working. I remember to tried it sometimes.

I didn't said above bus i made a litle script for use with "run service" (I am using this for now, it's a fixed time):
Code: [Select]
Label: Shutdown In 1:30 hour

Path: C:\Windows\Sistem32\tsshutdn.exe 5400 /powerdown /v

Could be added a "Shutdown After Queue" to "Stop After Queue".