Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting to Nero AAC loses CDEC tag (Read 4760 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting to Nero AAC loses CDEC tag

I'm having exactly the same issues as described in this thread.  I have FLAC files with tags which I am converting to AAC using the foobar2000 1.0.1 converter and the Nero AAC 1.5.4.0 encoder.  Normally, the Nero AAC encoder writes a CDEC tag which contains the encoder settings, but foobar2000 seems to be clobbering this tag.  This tag was kept just fine in previous versions of foobar2000 - I was using 0.9.something before upgrading to 1.0.1.

EDIT: Also, if I try to manually add this tag afterwards, foobar doesn't show it in the properties box!  However, neroAacTag shows it as having been added.  If I change the tag name to something other than CDEC, foobar adds and shows it just fine.

I have the encoder set up as so (nothing special):

On the off chance it matters, here are my components:
Code: [Select]
Core (2010-03-06 07:44:16)
    foobar2000 core 1.0.1
foo_albumlist.dll (2010-03-06 07:42:18)
    Album List 4.4
foo_cdda.dll (2010-03-06 07:42:14)
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_converter.dll (2010-03-06 07:42:12)
    Converter 1.4
foo_dsp_std.dll (2010-03-06 07:42:26)
    Standard DSP Array 1.0
foo_fileops.dll (2010-03-06 07:41:12)
    File Operations 2.1.2
foo_freedb2.dll (2010-03-06 07:41:22)
    freedb Tagger 0.6.2
foo_input_std.dll (2010-03-06 07:42:00)
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_input_usf.dll (2010-02-03 18:10:14)
    LazyUSF 2.0 (Build Feb  3 2010)
foo_rgscan.dll (2010-03-06 07:41:56)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.0.9
foo_ui_std.dll (2010-03-06 07:42:34)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_unpack.dll (2010-03-06 07:40:52)
    RAR reader 1.3
    ZIP/GZIP reader 1.0

Reply #1
The "tag" is there it is just not displayed in foobar because like the tool tag it is flagged as non editable.
But tool is at least displayed in the properties tab of the properties window.

Reply #2
OK. But for newly converted files, the tag is definitely not there. Neither foobar nor NeroAacTag shows it.

Reply #3
OK. But for newly converted files, the tag is definitely not there. Neither foobar nor NeroAacTag shows it.

Just tested, the tag is there, NeroAacTag shows it. Please verify your claims correctly before posting such reports.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
Yes, the tag is really there. Any chance the tag is shown again in foobar through Properties (as CDEC tag or tool property)? It's really useful if foobar could display in some way the q-setting used in lossy file.

Reply #5

Just tested, the tag is there, NeroAacTag shows it. Please verify your claims correctly before posting such reports.

Hm. Well, with NeroAacTag, I see the tool tag, but not cdec.  I'll rip another CD later and make sure I'm not accidentally doing anything which might confound the process.  I'm using the -list-meta option.  Is there something else I need?

Reply #6

Hm. Well, with NeroAacTag, I see the tool tag, but not cdec.  I'll rip another CD later and make sure I'm not accidentally doing anything which might confound the process.  I'm using the -list-meta option.  Is there something else I need?

Sure enough, the cdec tag is there, both when converting with foobar and from the command line... I converted almost a dozen albums last night, and none of the have cdec tags.  I have no idea what I did that affected the process.  Bizarre.

Sorry for the false report. :/

Reply #7
foobar2000 v1.0.2 beta 1 makes Nero AAC encoder setup tag visible as "encoder" 
Thanks developer(s)!

Reply #8
foobar2000 v1.0.2 now creates a "codec" tag if nero tags are used.
Why is it not "cdec" anymore?

Though iTunes tag names is still "cdec"

Reply #9
v1.0.2 most likely expands the 'cdec' tag to the human-readable label "codec" in the dialog, like it does with other tags.
(Disclaimer: I have not yet installed v1.0.2; this is just my best guess at Peter's intentions.)

Reply #10
No, I mean what's acutally in the file, not what is displayed in foobar GUI

Another effect of this is that files with tags:meta:cdec atom (i.e. multi chapter m4a created with foobar v1.0.1) don't show anything with $info(encoder) in foobar v1.0.2.1