Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mouseclicks in areas of the screen controls minimized foobar (Read 4746 times) previous topic - next topic

Mouseclicks in areas of the screen controls minimized foobar

I've been tolerating this problem for months, and every time I go searching to find out what's wrong, I run up against the problem of describing the problem too vague search terms to get helpful search hits.

I've scoured the options menus in foobar, but can't seem to work out where it is. I have a suspicion it's rather simple.

I run foobar with columns UI. I minimize to the system tray, and proceed to use my browser, or my word processor, or whatever. However, there are certain areas of the screen which, if I end up clicking on them, fail to perform the required action on what I thought I was clicking on, but instead issue controls to foobar. The song will be paused, or stopped, or skip to the last or the next track.

It's as if there was some sort screen area control interface set up for foobar, but one I'm not aware of, and don't know how to turn off.

I'd be very grateful for any help in solving this issue.

Best Wishes,
Fionn.

Reply #1
I've been tolerating this problem for months, and every time I go searching to find out what's wrong, I run up against the problem of describing the problem too vague search terms to get helpful search hits.

I've scoured the options menus in foobar, but can't seem to work out where it is. I have a suspicion it's rather simple.

I run foobar with columns UI. I minimize to the system tray, and proceed to use my browser, or my word processor, or whatever. However, there are certain areas of the screen which, if I end up clicking on them, fail to perform the required action on what I thought I was clicking on, but instead issue controls to foobar. The song will be paused, or stopped, or skip to the last or the next track.

It's as if there was some sort screen area control interface set up for foobar, but one I'm not aware of, and don't know how to turn off.

I'd be very grateful for any help in solving this issue.

Best Wishes,
Fionn.

Just bumping this thread, in case there's anyone around who might have an answer, but didn't see it before.

Reply #2
Do you use any fancy plugins like visualisations, lyric panels, ...? Maybe removing one of them might cure this problem.
The other way would be to start from a fresh installation only with Columns UI installed and adding one component a time until the problem reappears. Sorry for not having something more helpful, but individual problems tend to have individual solutions which one must find him/herself.

Reply #3
Check your keyboard shortcuts you have assigned (Preferences, General), especially for pause, stop, next/previous song. If they are configured as global shortcuts and you have a multi-button mouse with additional programmable buttons: could accidental unintended mouse clicks on this buttons trigger this shortcuts?

Also you should post here (in a codebox) a list of your components (Preferences, Components -> Copy). Do you have the foo_mouse_gesture plugin?
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #4
Hi all.

I had gone through the methodical, remove all components and add them in one by one procedure before. It hadn't really helped, because the problem I'm talking about seemed to be erratic, and didn't become obvious until after several hours of using the computer with foobar in the tray or on the bar.

So, I undertook recently to add the components back in one-a-day, giving myself more time to see if adding a component back in made a difference, and this time managed to isolate the problem.

The problem is the foo-title plugin. ( http://foo-title.sourceforge.net/ )

As I explained above, with the foo-title plugin installed, even when foobar is minimized, or not even playing, certain areas of the screen seem to have an invisible control layer, where a click on, say, an area about the height of a normal text line, and several words wide, will fail to register in the application you think you're clicking on. Sometimes, the effect will be to make foobar pause, or play, or skip to the next track, or stop. Sometimes, nothing will happen, although this is probably because the event sent to foobar was a stop when it was already stopped.

This occurred, I shouldn't have to add, when I was not using any of the foo-title miniplayer windows. It occurs to me that the app must not actually turn them off, only make them invisible, so that the buttons that are available on them are still available even though you can't see them. Another worrying thing is that disparate areas of the screen seemed to be doing the same thing, as if there were invisible miniplayers everywhere - perhaps because every skin I had installed made up a different invisible miniplayer, leading to many 'hot' areas on the screen?

I found that removing the foo_managedWrapper.dll component (which is part of foo-title) stopped the problem. The rest of the components of this addon did not cause the problem. However, I removed the rest of them when I discovered what was at fault.

Many thanks for the help from the users on this forum. I thought I'd post back the solution here so as to let anyone else know if they experience the same problem.

Is there something I should do to indicate that the issue is resolved?

Reply #5
That's a really strange issue. I use foo_title daily, sometimes also switched off and I never had this problem. I tried switching skins and turning it off and on and no orphan window was left (checked with WinCheat). Which makes sense, because the code recycles the window. So I have no clue right now  If you could find a way to replicate this behaviour, I could try it on my computer and possibly do something about it. If you are a developer and are really interested, you could try to debug it using M$ Visual C# Express  Last note, I'm testing everything on Windows XP.

Reply #6
Hey,

It is a strange issue, alright! It actually took me a while to isolate it to foobar, because I thought it might be the native software on my HP laptop, which controls the media buttons. And when I did figure out it was foobar, I thought it must have been an option I just hadn't uncovered.

The problem seemed to get worse over the months, as I discovered more hotspots, or more of them appeared. I can't say for certain though. Perhaps it's just that my habits changed, and I ended up needing to click on new areas of the screen.

I take it you are the developer for foo-title? I must thank you for a great component - I was sorry to have to uninstall it. I also found it rather baffling, but I'm pretty certain it was this component now, since the problem returns when I add it back in. I will look into DLing WinCheat and running it to see if that verifies it isn't an orphan window on my machine. I'm not a developer, but a friend of mine is, and perhaps we will find time to debug it, so as to give you data on the problem.

For the record, I'm running it on Vista Home, .NET 3.5 SP1, and the following are my other foo components:
Code: [Select]
Core (2010-03-06 13:44:16)
    foobar2000 core 1.0.1
foo_albumlist.dll (2010-03-06 13:42:18)
    Album List 4.4
foo_bluetooth_ctrl.dll (2007-05-26 22:54:46)
    Bluetooth Remote Control 1.1
foo_cdda.dll (2010-03-06 13:42:14)
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_comserver2.dll (2006-07-31 20:13:20)
    COM Automation server 0.7 alpha 6
foo_converter.dll (2010-03-06 13:42:12)
    Converter 1.4
foo_discogs.dll (2009-08-06 13:13:22)
    Discogs Tagger 1.19
foo_dop.dll (2009-08-14 23:11:12)
    iPod manager 0.6.5.4
foo_dsp_std.dll (2010-03-06 13:42:26)
    Standard DSP Array 1.0
foo_fileops.dll (2010-03-06 13:41:12)
    File Operations 2.1.2
foo_freedb2.dll (2010-03-06 13:41:22)
    freedb Tagger 0.6.2
foo_gep.dll (2010-01-20 02:49:53)
    Game Emu Player 1.4
foo_imgburner.dll (2008-10-30 17:18:15)
    ImgBurner 0.3.1
foo_input_monkey.dll (2009-05-01 15:40:52)
    Monkey's Audio Decoder 2.1.4
foo_input_shorten.dll (2007-08-21 12:56:16)
    Shorten decoder 0.4.2.1
foo_input_std.dll (2010-03-06 13:42:00)
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_osd.dll (2009-05-09 17:32:12)
    On-Screen Display 1.52
foo_rgscan.dll (2010-03-06 13:41:56)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.0.9
foo_sid.dll (2009-05-09 18:48:12)
    sidplay2 1.14
foo_ui_columns.dll (2010-03-21 00:43:13)
    Columns UI 0.3.8.5
foo_ui_std.dll (2010-03-06 13:42:34)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_uie_quicksearch.dll (2007-05-18 13:31:10)
    Quick Search Toolbar 2.8l
foo_unpack.dll (2010-03-06 13:40:52)
    RAR reader 1.3
    ZIP/GZIP reader 1.0

If you'd like any other info on the system, I'm happy to provide it. I'll set it up again, and see if there are other factors that would allow you to replicate it.

Reply #8
Also, and Quiark would know more, but perhaps this is a skin issue, or a skin designed for an older version as some of the layer mechanics have changed a little.  I also use this daily on a multiple monitor setup and have never had any phantom clickable area issues.

Reply #9
Could it be this one?
foo_bluetooth_ctrl.dll (2007-05-26 22:54:46)
    Bluetooth Remote Control 1.1

Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10