Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD is taking too long to rip; also (Read 17483 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD is taking too long to rip; also

I just got an iMac and am trying to use the XLD ripper that has been recommended. With current settings it takes a whole day to rip a single CD. Am I doing something wrong? At this rate I'll destroy the DVD drive in the iMac in a very short time.

Reply #1
Almost certainly something is horribly wrong.  Is this every disc, or just one particular one?

Reply #2
Almost certainly something is horribly wrong.  Is this every disc, or just one particular one?

It's the first time I've tried it so I have only tried the one disc. I have it set for "paranoid rip" and have left everything else on default (like the # of threads etc).

Reply #3
I don't know XLD at all, beyond the information found at the Hydrogenaudio Wiki - http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=XLD

XLD looks like it supports AccurateRip.  Speaking generally:

You should try the equivilant option to EAC's "Burst Rip" at first - if AccurateRip returns a matching result, you will have what you want in the minimum time needed.  Only on damaged discs (and non-present discs) is an AccurateRip-enabled rippers "paranoid" mode recommended.

Reply #4
I agree with Tahnru, but am still curious as to what might be causing your very slow rips...do you have "Use old CDParanoia engine" checked?

That would definitely do it, and is unnecessary (as far as I can tell).

I'm ripping with the "normal" CDParanoia enabled - "Rip as accurately as possible" and "Use C2 error pointers" both selected - and my average rip speeds are ~6-8x on the first track and up to 18x on the last track, depending on the length of the disc (and encoding to FLAC - encoding to LAME MP3 is a bit slower).

My mini is a few years old (and "only" a 1.66 GHz Core Duo), so the drive on your iMac should be even faster.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #5

It's the first time I've tried it so I have only tried the one disc. I have it set for "paranoid rip" and have left everything else on default (like the # of threads etc).

Don't use "paranoia" (only when it is extremely necessary). XLD uses Accuraterip so "burst mode" is enough, as far as your CD rip matches the Accuraterip database after ripping.

Using "paranoia" for every CD will kill your drive a lot sooner than expected.

Reply #6

Well I figured out what was "horribly wrong" but now I have another problem. I had "2 threads max" checked (I hadn't set this, it defaulted to two threads). That meant that it was trying to rip two tracks at a time. Changing to 1 thread put me from 0.1X to ~ 10X speed (even with "Paranoid rip" rip enabled) and solved the problem. I had left it ripping all day and the drive was flipping back and forth between one track and another for 10 hours. I'll be VERY pissed if that destroyed the drive on my brand new 27" iMac. Like I said this was a default setting and I can't imagine how or why it would EVER be used.

My new problem is that each song got saved to a separate folder titled unknown artist. I'm setting my preferences to "automatically connect to CDDB" and hope this corrects it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ps I seem to recall that C2 error correction should be disabled in EAC. Is that true for XLD as well?

Reply #7
I'm setting my preferences to "automatically connect to CDDB" and hope this corrects it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ps I seem to recall that C2 error correction should be disabled in EAC. Is that true for XLD as well?

What does the filenaming section look like? Something like EAC's? - http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ptions#Filename

C2 pointers should be turned off in EAC when you have a drive that doesn't report them correctly.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ping#Mac_OS.2FX

C2 pointers look like they're correctly used by XLD, if you have a drive that correctly reports them.  I'm unfamiliar with Macs hardware, do you know which drive they stuck in there?

Reply #8
Well I figured out what was "horribly wrong" but now I have another problem. I had "2 threads max" checked (I hadn't set this, it defaulted to two threads). That meant that it was trying to rip two tracks at a time. Changing to 1 thread put me from 0.1X to ~ 10X speed (even with "Paranoid rip" rip enabled) and solved the problem. I had left it ripping all day and the drive was flipping back and forth between one track and another for 10 hours.

No, 2 threads means it encodes two files simultaneously. It still rips one track at a time.

I can't understand why it is faster if you decrease the number of threads. Are you comparing rips of the same disc? And the same settings apart from the number of threads?

My new problem is that each song got saved to a separate folder titled unknown artist. I'm setting my preferences to "automatically connect to CDDB" and hope this corrects it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well that should work if the CD is in the database (which it probably is).

Reply #9
XLD is set to 2 threads 'cause it detected you have 2 cores in your cpu. I would leave it at that, as it only should go faster (hey, I'm using a MacBook 2.2GHz with just 1GB of Memory, I'm sure the new iMac is much faster).

I can tell you XLD won't rip copy protected or so called enhanced discs. But since you posted this thread after only trying one cd, I can't be sure if that's it.?!

btw. I wouldn't use iMac's internal drive for heavy duty ripping, it's just a notebook drive you know. But if you use it anyway, you might wanna open Applications/Utilities/System Profiler and check out which drive they put in for the right offset.

cheers

cheers

Reply #10
No, 2 threads means it encodes two files simultaneously. It still rips one track at a time.

I can't understand why it is faster if you decrease the number of threads. Are you comparing rips of the same disc? And the same settings apart from the number of threads?

No, you are wrong. The progress display actually showed 2 tracks ripping at once (which struck me a very strange before I figured it out).

"My new problem is that each song got saved to a separate folder titled unknown artist. I'm setting my preferences to "automatically connect to CDDB" and hope this corrects it. Any suggestions would be appreciated."

Well that should work if the CD is in the database (which it probably is).

No that didn't work and I'm basicly about to give up on the XLD ripper. I've done everything I can logically think of.

Reply #11
XLD is set to 2 threads 'cause it detected you have 2 cores in your cpu. I would leave it at that, as it only should go faster (hey, I'm using a MacBook 2.2GHz with just 1GB of Memory, I'm sure the new iMac is much faster).

I can tell you XLD won't rip copy protected or so called enhanced discs. But since you posted this thread after only trying one cd, I can't be sure if that's it.?!

btw. I wouldn't use iMac's internal drive for heavy duty ripping, it's just a notebook drive you know. But if you use it anyway, you might wanna open Applications/Utilities/System Profiler and check out which drive they put in for the right offset.

cheers

There is no way I'm leaving the setting at 2 threads. This is a bug that causes 2 tracks to ripp at once (and this actually showed in the progress window) it slows everything to  0.1 X.  Setting it to one thread completely solved the problem (~ 10 X speed with paranoid enabled).

I don't even know what offset is and whether it's important. I already have my music collection ripped and will just be adding the occasional CD so I'll probably use  the iMac drive.

Reply #12
There is no way I'm leaving the setting at 2 threads. This is a bug that causes 2 tracks to ripp at once (and this actually showed in the progress window) it slows everything to 0.1 X. Setting it to one thread completely solved the problem (~ 10 X speed with paranoid enabled).

I don't even know what offset is and whether it's important. I already have my music collection ripped and will just be adding the occasional CD so I'll probably use the iMac drive.

That's weird, it should only kick in when converting files. I have mine set to 2 threads and have no problems. Check if you have the latest update for XLD as an older version might not like the new i5 or i7 cpu (which virtually works as a 4 core cpu).

got this from an online tutorial:

7. Maximum #Threads - If you have a multi-processor or multi-core Mac, you should change this setting from "1" to however many your system has. For example, a Dual Core Mac should be set to use 2 threads. This will increase the number of simultaneous audio conversions XLD can perform.

Anyway I'd do some serious reading before using any software on my brand new Mac

cheers

Reply #13
No, you are wrong. The progress display actually showed 2 tracks ripping at once (which struck me a very strange before I figured it out).

Are you sure it showed two tracks being ripped simultaneously, and not two tracks being encoded at the same time after having been ripped one after the other?
No that didn't work and I'm basicly about to give up on the XLD ripper. I've done everything I can logically think of.

Have you set it to automatically connect to CDDB (in the preferences)? Otherwise you have to tell it manually to connect.

Reply #14

Are you sure it showed two tracks being ripped simultaneously, and not two tracks being encoded at the same time after having been ripped one after the other?

Have you set it to automatically connect to CDDB (in the preferences)? Otherwise you have to tell it manually to connect.

With 2 threads enabled it is not encoding consecutively ripped tracks. You can see the two tracks being ripped AND you can actually hear the drive going berserk as it keeps switching back and forth (not to mention the idiotically slow rip speed of 0.1 x that I've mentioned at least half a dozen times now).
I have the set the preference to "automatically connect to CDDB" and still get separate folders named "unknow artist" for each song. 

As for having the latest version, I downloaded this 2 days ago so how much later can it get?

Reply #15
With 2 threads enabled it is not encoding consecutively ripped tracks. You can see the two tracks being ripped AND you can actually hear the drive going berserk as it keeps switching back and forth (not to mention the idiotically slow rip speed of 0.1 x that I've mentioned at least half a dozen times now).

Well, if so then there's some bug that occurs on your system and not on mine. And it's a strange bug, as I don't see any way from the source code that what you report can occur (although I didn't read the ripping part); of course straightforward bugs don't live long, so maybe that's not surprising.

Perhaps you could report it to the developer (he usually responds to reasonable suggestions within days, if not hours).

Reply #16
... AND you can actually hear the drive going berserk as it keeps switching back and forth (not to mention the idiotically slow rip speed of 0.1 x that I've mentioned at least half a dozen times now)...

From the XLD (rip) preferences menu: Uncheck "Rip as accurate as possible (CDParanoia)" and also uncheck "Use old CDParanoia engine". "But check: Query Accuraterip database to check integrity". That should be good for 99.99% of your rips and also will save the life of your (expensive) DVD drive.

Reply #17
... AND you can actually hear the drive going berserk as it keeps switching back and forth (not to mention the idiotically slow rip speed of 0.1 x that I've mentioned at least half a dozen times now)...

From the XLD (rip) preferences menu: Uncheck "Rip as accurate as possible (CDParanoia)" and also uncheck "Use old CDParanoia engine". "But check: Query Accuraterip database to check integrity". That should be good for 99.99% of your rips and also will save the life of your (expensive) DVD drive.

You do realize that the ripping problem has been completely solved by simply using one thread. My problem now is the fact that each song is getting stored in a separate folder in iTunes but this thread keeps going around in circles  because the moderator wouldn't let me start a new thread to deal with this new question. Typical of people who think they know it all and have nothing better to do with their time.

Reply #18
I rip CDs using XLD every day and have the number of threads set to eight. It never rips more than one track at a time--I just tested it twice to confirm.

Also, if XLD is not getting the metadata correctly, just select "CDDB" from the file menu and select "Get CD Track Names" (Make sure all items have check marks under "Query Items").

Reply #19
...You do realize that the ripping problem has been completely solved by simply using one thread...

It has nothing to do with the number of threads. But...

Reply #20
My problem now is the fact that each song is getting stored in a separate folder in iTunes but this thread keeps going around in circles  because the moderator wouldn't let me start a new thread to deal with this new question.

It is not as if someone hasn't attempted to answer your question; it isn't as if someone didn't try to answer your question here before you started a new topic to ask it.  Had you titled your topic in accordance with TOS #6 there would have never been an issue.  Now the title is fixed and you've asked your second question here a couple of times now.  I don't see the problem.

PS: If there is any additional information to be gleaned by the binned double-post, it can be found here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=80424

Reply #21
@GDG,

In my post (#8) above I asked a couple of questions that I need answered before I can help further.

Reply #22
The reason you are getting unknown artist folders is because you are ripping before the metadata has been added. Each song ripped is from an unknown artist so it is sorting it that way. As I stated above, if XLD is not getting the metadata correctly, just select "CDDB" from the file menu and select "Get CD Track Names" (Make sure all items have check marks under "Query Items"). I do not check the box for "Automatically connect to CDDB" because if you open a cue file XLD will still use metadata from the online database. If you are still having problems, you are either not connected to the internet or the CD is not in the database.

For filenaming in XLD:

Open preferences and select the "General" tab. Under "Format of filename" check "Specify" and move your mouse over text box to the right. You should see the options in a pop up. I create folders for the artist and album so my text box looks like this:

%A/%T/%n %t - when ripping to individual tracks
%A/%T/%A - %T - when ripping as an image

Reply #23
The reason you are getting unknown artist folders is because you are ripping before the metadata has been added. Each song ripped is from an unknown artist so it is sorting it that way. As I stated above, if XLD is not getting the metadata correctly, just select "CDDB" from the file menu and select "Get CD Track Names" (Make sure all items have check marks under "Query Items"). I do not check the box for "Automatically connect to CDDB" because if you open a cue file XLD will still use metadata from the online database. If you are still having problems, you are either not connected to the internet or the CD is not in the database.

For filenaming in XLD:

Open preferences and select the "General" tab. Under "Format of filename" check "Specify" and move your mouse over text box to the right. You should see the options in a pop up. I create folders for the artist and album so my text box looks like this:

Thanx Dude,
I appreciate the clear instructions. I'll give this a try when I get home.

Reply #24

For filenaming in XLD:

I tried the EXACT filenaming you suggested (%A/%T/%n %t) with ZERO change. I've got some university Java programing courses under my belt and have been using a computer for 10 years...the problem is NOT my internet connection nor is the fact that Jimmy Hendrix "Electric Ladyland" is not in the CDDB database. I don't know what the problem is, but if you need a PHD just to get a simple rip SCREW IT!