Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: dBpoweramp vs EAC (Read 34344 times) previous topic - next topic

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Hi,

I looked on the home page of dBpoweramp and i saw that dBpoweramp cost $$$. Is this true ?

Now, i use EAC .99pb5 for ripping my CD in FLAC (with AccurateRip) but EAC seem to have no more support of his developer. The last EAC's update is 1 year ago (May 7, 2009).

When i rip my CD (most are japanese import CD) I need have the UTF-8 (japanese characters) support for tags and track titles. I hate do manually the tags for my ripped CD.

I want know if dBpoweramp is better that EAC ?

Also, EAC take only freedb but dBpoweramp take more (MG, GD3, SonataDB, MusicBrainz and freedb).

Do dBpoweramp take UTF-8 support ?

thank for your opinion.
Windows 10 Pro
fb2k v.1.3.16

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #1
The dBpoweramp version that has secure ripping is not free.

Even if the latest EAC version is a year old, it still works as it should.

While both are secure rippers and have Accuraterip, dBpoweramp is faster. EAC can be faster if you use burst mode then switch to T&C and/or secure mode if Accuraterip does not verify your rip.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #2
I don't know if dBpowerAmp support utf-8, but for EAC is in development a new version that support utf-8, but I don't know when it will be available (look here: http://twitter.com/exactaudiocopy )

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #3
I have the paid version of dBpoweramp, and to me (with a few thousand CDs) the metadata alone is worth the cost.

But you might also want to try foobar2000, which now has AccurateRip integration. Look up the Discogs tagging plug-in -- you have to search manually, though. (UTF-8? I don't know. Never actually tried ripping with fb2k.)

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #4
Unicode is supported by dBpoweramp (UTF-8 from freedb, and unicode ID Tags). Freedb seemed to have a relatively poor selection of tracks in utf-8, at-least the last time I checked a number of discs (as opposed to just written as ANSI in whatever code page was used). Musicbrainz is native unicode, as also do AMG and GD3.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #5
And AFAIK foobar2000 uses UTF-8, except when in ID3v2.3 (compatibility) mode.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #6
The dBpoweramp version that has secure ripping is not free.

Even if the latest EAC version is a year old, it still works as it should.

Well, I see. I wanted to try dBpoweramp with secure ripping, but it is not possible with the trial version and more I noticed there was no log as with EAC. (Probably because it is the trial version.)

I have the paid version of dBpoweramp, and to me (with a few thousand CDs) the metadata alone is worth the cost.

But you might also want to try foobar2000, which now has AccurateRip integration. Look up the Discogs tagging plug-in -- you have to search manually, though. (UTF-8? I don't know. Never actually tried ripping with fb2k.)

For the trial version, only freedb is possible as metadata. I tried to rip with foobar2k but seems there is no log ( I need log ). And forgive me if i'm stupid but the "File Integrity Verifier" components is it for the AccurateRip ?

My problem with tagging is than most of my CD collection is japanese music (J-Pop, Animes & video games soundtrack) where the japanese characters are recurring in the track titles and tags.  I dunno if the Discogs plug-in can help me for tagging for japanese music CD. When EAC see special characters, it replace them with ?????????.flac or (whatever symbol).flac. As we know that Windows don't accept such symbol in file name, I'm obliged of rename the files in EAC before ripping. Rename files for 1 CD is ok but not 100.

Other question : When i tried dBpowerAMP, I could use FLAC compression. Is FLAC out-of-the-box in DMC or if its because i already installed the FLAC encoder ? The FLAC encoder in DMC is in his last version (1.2.1b) ?
Windows 10 Pro
fb2k v.1.3.16

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #7
From the dBpoweramp homepage: "Free no-obligation, fully functional trial for 21 days."

You do get secure ripping but only for 21 days. You can also configure it to generate a log.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #9
From the dBpoweramp homepage: "Free no-obligation, fully functional trial for 21 days."

You do get secure ripping but only for 21 days. You can also configure it to generate a log.

No, I verified and in the trial version there no secure ripping only the burst mode.
Look:

For log, I believe that we do have the full paid version of dBpoweramp for configure it. Its useless have a log in burst mode.

Maybe CUERipper/CUETools is doing what you want.

Thank, I will check this link.

Also I have some question about dBpowerAMP.
In the image below:

Point 1 : What mean the number in parenthesis ? Is it the same with EAC and his "confidence (xx)" in log file ?
Point 2 : Some track have CRC in green, other in black and sometimes in red. What this mean ? It is Green = good (matching CRC), red = bad (mismatching CRC) ? Or if this don't mean anything ?

Again, I can buy dBpowerAMP since it is not very expensive.

thank for your help
Windows 10 Pro
fb2k v.1.3.16

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #10
Is it the same with EAC and his "confidence (xx)" in log file ?
Yes.

It is Green = good (matching CRC), red = bad (mismatching CRC) ?
Yes, green means the CRC matches the previous time the track was extracted (or simply read if you tell the program to perform a test conversion), red means it doesn't match.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #11
The trial of the full (reference) version does have secure ripping, or it did when I tried it.  It is time limited.  You may want to post in the dbpoweramp forums if you can't get that working.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #12
The trial of dBpoweramp is a full trial (21 days, including all metadata), if you have installed it less than 21 days ago, reinstall (but install in to an account with Administration privileges, then after install set to limited user).

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #13
The trial of dBpoweramp is a full trial (21 days, including all metadata), if you have installed it less than 21 days ago, reinstall (but install in to an account with Administration privileges, then after install set to limited user).

My mistake. I was in user mode and not admin mode. I run dBpowerAMP in admin mode and effectively i can do secure ripping and configure log.
Windows 10 Pro
fb2k v.1.3.16

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #14
I see no reason to change from EAC though I do have one tiny niggle...
When I insert a CD and select rip to FLAC, it is easy with my laptops touchpad to select a few files which means you don't end up ripping the whole of album.
Wonder how  others get around this or is it just my fat fingers?

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #16

You will have to start the CUERipper.exe directly, or create a link on your desktop or wherever you like. What I did was to copy to the extracted directory to "program files", renamed it "CUE Tools" and created a link on my desktop for CUETools and for CUERipper.

CUERipper gets the metadata from MusicBrainz among others, and since it's a .NET application it should support UTF-8.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #17
I see no reason to change from EAC ...

It's mainly for testing DMC vs EAC. Also I found (my personal opinion) than the HA wiki on EAC's configuration is not complete. I used this EAC Setup Guide that i found more complete.

A little question : The number in parenthesis (confidence xx) indicates the number of people who have the same AccurateRip report that me ? So the more people there is the better its ? (not sure if my english is ok about this latter sentence)

I will continue be with EAC by habit and because its free.
Windows 10 Pro
fb2k v.1.3.16

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #18
A little question : The number in parenthesis (confidence xx) indicates the number of people who have the same AccurateRip report that me ? So the more people there is the better its ? (not sure if my english is ok about this latter sentence)

Generally speaking, only one match is really necessary. More than that simply tells you how popular that CD is.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #19

You will have to start the CUERipper.exe directly, or create a link on your desktop or wherever you like. What I did was to copy to the extracted directory to "program files", renamed it "CUE Tools" and created a link on my desktop for CUETools and for CUERipper.

CUERipper gets the metadata from MusicBrainz among others, and since it's a .NET application it should support UTF-8.

Do CUERipper/CUETools automatically create a CUESheet file embedded or not?
Windows 10 Pro
fb2k v.1.3.16

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #20
Do CUERipper/CUETools automatically create a CUESheet file embedded or not?

Yes, CUE Ripper always creates a cue sheet and a log. You can choose between a faked EAC log or CUE Ripper's native log which is very similar to the log created by CUE Tools. Of course, I would not recommend using the fake EAC log option, since it contains bogus information and lacks other information relevant to the mechanisms that are unique to CUE Ripper, CTDB info for example.

You can choose between image rip and track based rip. For the latter a non-compliant EAC-style cue sheet will be created.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #21
It's mainly for testing DMC vs EAC. Also I found (my personal opinion) than the HA wiki on EAC's configuration is not complete. I used this EAC Setup Guide that i found more complete.

Unfortunately that guide contains misinformation.

If you have any specific questions about something not in our wiki, feel free to ask them.

dBpoweramp vs EAC

Reply #22

Unfortunately that guide contains misinformation.

If you have any specific questions about something not in our wiki, feel free to ask them.

What part of EAC Setup Guide contains misinformation ? Because I'm interested to know where you pull out your comment.
Windows 10 Pro
fb2k v.1.3.16