Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TagBox Tag Editing Plugin (Read 147750 times) previous topic - next topic

TagBox Tag Editing Plugin

Hello Everybody,

I needed something like this but couldn't find any so I wrote it myself!
It is something like an editable "properties" window in a UI element with "quick tagger" like features and a little more.

Here is more info and download link.

Check it out and let me know what you think

Reply #1
Hello Everybody,

I needed something like this but couldn't find any so I wrote it myself!
It is something like an editable "properties" window in a UI element with "quick tagger" like features and a little more.

Here is more info and download link.

Check it out and let me know what you think

it seemed to me that i cannot find the TagBox in the Panels....but the TagBox exist in my View menu...why?
mad messy misanthropist morbid mused

Reply #2
because I guess it's DUI element and not CUI panel

some issues to throw:

- input boxes are not correctly right aligned
- drop-down on windows 7 doesn't look good

thanks

Reply #3
some issues to throw:

- input boxes are not correctly right aligned
- drop-down on windows 7 doesn't look good

I'm on XP, actually this is the first time I'm seeing a screenshot of TagBox in Windows 7. I don't know what I can do about the drop-downs if Windows 7 shows them like that but I should take care of the alignment thing. I need to install 7 in a virtual machine and see what I can do.

after pressing Ctrl or Shift this dialog pops:

That a seems to be a debug message which interestingly doesn't show up in XP, that's why I missed it. Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it (hopefully).

Reply #4
I don't know what I can do about the drop-downs if Windows 7 shows them like that

Couldn't just increasing the height by 2px solve the problem?
And now when I'm replying again, I wanted to know if it's possible to incorporate auto-complete feature, like properties dialog does

Reply #5
Couldn't just increasing the height by 2px solve the problem?
And now when I'm replying again, I wanted to know if it's possible to incorporate auto-complete feature, like properties dialog does

So you have problem with the spacing of the drop-downs! I thought you don't like the Windows 7 style  The thing is I have tried to make the UI Element as compact as possible. My own TagBox has 28 fields, increasing the spacing by 2px makes the element 56 pixels taller and that's too much. But maybe I can make the field spacing optional through the preferences page later.

I like the idea of auto-complete feature but I don't know how's that usually implemented so I need to do some research. On to-do list.

BTW I fixed the right alignment problem too.

Reply #6
yeah, I was thinking about spacing generaly because they overlap, and you were thinking about it style which I agree sometimes looks ugly
so, how about combobox like below, with check boxes, which would be perfect for multivalue fields IMO (thou they'll overlap again on Windows 7 at current height):

Reply #8
Hey, thanks for this great plugin!
It's more than useful!

Here are some thoughts:

1. I got Hotkeys without Ctrl modifier like 1-5 for rating or "O" for open folders.
These Hotkeys interfere with the tag editing.

2. I try to access entries from the selectlist with the first letter. Unfortunatly it grabs just the first entry with the letter and the list is closed.
would be nice if the selection stays the list open, to choose the right value manually.

cheers m.

Reply #9
download link doesn't work for me

"requested page not found"

Oh sorry that's my fault! download link should be working now, check it again.

@2E7AH I like the drop-down with check boxes too. Thanks for the idea.

@muzack you're welcome  I'll look into those problems.

Reply #10
BTW I fixed the right alignment problem too.

thou not for 7

items with drop-down are 2px misaligned

Reply #11
yeah, I was thinking about spacing generaly because they overlap, and you were thinking about it style which I agree sometimes looks ugly
so, how about combobox like below, with check boxes, which would be perfect for multivalue fields IMO (thou they'll overlap again on Windows 7 at current height):

Another point: I have no interest to use TagBox as a ui-element - i prefer a standalone window (like "Properties"). You can call this under main menu -> view. I would like to request the same way like properties window for that case: making a selection, going to context menu, calling TagBox, applying changes.

Reply #12
Good idea and great work! Thanks a lot :-)

Just a few thoughts:

Plugin
- Adding vertical/horizontal scroll (with scroll indicators) would help or better said is essential (for those who do not wanna spend so much space for the panel)
- Ability to customize the headers colors (just a gimmick ;-) )

Website
- How about a ToDo-List (and maybe a declined-requests-list) on the bottom of the page
    --> this would prevent us (re-)requesting stuff you already have on your To-Do list or definitely do not want to implement

Reply #13
Have you hardcoded the line height in pixels? At least it looks that way, if you try high-DPI mode in Windows.

Reply #14
hello
do you plan to make it compatible to CUI aswell one day?
surely not in the near futur, but later?

Reply #15
Well! When developing this plugin I needed to get to something working as soon as possible so the last thing on my mind was cosmetic issues. Many of you have good points I'll try to address issues you mentioned as I further develop TagBox.

Some questions for developers:
1. If I want to use foobar's default colors am I stuck with four colors (text/background/selection/highlight)? what about that light gray that every other row in the playlist use? what's that called?

2. I'm still not sure if I'm going to use the properties window grid style but to make sure that's a list control with dynamically overlaied edit boxes, right?

@foosion
Have you hardcoded the line height in pixels? At least it looks that way, if you try high-DPI mode in Windows.

I'll take care of that.

@2E7AH The nonalignment problem was present in XP too so I literally asked the program to add 2px to edit boxes with drop-down that should solve the problem. I suspect your browser downloaded the old package from its cache or something (same name, same size). Hope someone else with Windows7 and a fresh download can let us know if the problem is still there.

@kabuki
do you plan to make it compatible to CUI aswell one day?
surely not in the near futur, but later?

What is the state of CUI? When I first used foobar2000 I thought perhaps CUI is a redundant thing that will be phased out in favor of DUI so I never used it.

Reply #16
it's fine now

and CUI isn't redundant of course, it's actively developed pacing foobar changes, thou it has Item properties panel with in-line tag editing (similar to your component only it doesn't have drop-down box  ) + it has in-line playlist tag editing capabilities

Reply #17
Many people are useing CUI,I never use DUI.But also like TagBox Tag.Regretful

Reply #18
Great job.
Are there plan that adding foobar2000 contextmenu, autocomplete, and CUI Panel future?

Anyway, this component is awesome.

Reply #19
Hello Everybody,

Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas.

TagBox 0.110 is released with some improvements. Check it out and let me know what you think about the changes:

* Many visual improvements to make TagBox better blend in visually with other parts of foobar2000.
    * Edit boxes' height is now adjusted based on the font used.
    * Labels' width is automatically set based on the length of the text.
    * Some minor bug fixes.

TagBox's Official Page.

Reply #20
About the CUI panel, since I don't use CUI myself I rather not try to make TagBox compatible with it. In my experience when you don't use some feature in your software yourself it usually ends up being broken and buggy. I hope someone else make something similar to TagBox for CUI.

Reply #21
Hello,

This plug-in is one of the ones I was waiting for until Foobar 0.8, cause this plug-in permits to manage easily personal tags (I have more than 20 tags perso).

In order to be perfect (for my own use      ), I have some suggestions :
1) Give the ability to display or not some values or some tags depending on specified conditions i.e. : $if($stricmp(%genre%,jazz),1,0)
This can permit to display tags or a panel of value depending on an other tag value (i.e. to display the styles corresponding to a given genre or to display the countries of a given continent)

2) Add the ability to access the tags in the contextual menu : in order to access them more quickly (in a form Textbox/Tagname/List of values). The top of the top option will be to be able to change the display order & level exactly as the old FB 0.8 QuickTag

3) Give the possibility to interpret FB script in the value field (same as the old fashioned QuickTag), in order to be able to put in place a rating increment, decrement, or to manage easily binary tags (i.e. : $if(%world%,,1) )

So, even if you are not interested by my ideas, thank you for this great job, it's an essential plug-in for personal tags management.

Reply #22
Regarding autocomplete, you can use fb2k's library_meta_autocomplete service and Windows shell's IAutocomplete.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #23
@SoulMan: I think I'll add the "launch through context-menu" option, there are many requests for this. About your other requests I should do some more thinking to see if it is possible to add those to tagbox with its current layout and concept.

@Yirkha: Thanks for the info, auto complete is on to-do list too.

Reply #24
Hello,

Thank you a lot