Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_bassexciter (Read 73620 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_bassexciter

First of all, sorry for my poor english ;-)
Several days ago, I developed this effect plugin.
This is a psychology model based ADVANCED bass exciter, you can get a variety of bass effects by tweaking the parameters, even the Dolby® TruBASS®.
First, this plugin uses the Pole Filter and FFT to generate three waves(main bass harmonic wave, above pre-wave and below pre-wave). Then, moving some bass of source to lower frequency and exciting the source with three waves. Phase will be corrected at last.
The final bass effect sounding very very cool ;-)

Recommended parameters (for headphone):
Threshold Frequency    1200Hz
Harmonic Frequency      60Hz
Harmonic Bandwidth      80Hz
Harmonic Energy          24dB
Above Pre-Wave Decay  -92dB
Below Pre-Wave Decay  -10dB

Download link: Mirror1(Located in china)
This is a FREE software, you can use and redistribute it as you like.
If you like this stuff or want to support my future development, you can buy me a beer ;-), and it will be very appreciated.

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #1
This works so fine for me, thanks!

Ys
Rozzo

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #2
Very impressive DSP 
Using it with K 702

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #3
Incredible

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #4
version updated :-)

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #5
I admit that most similar plugins I've seen were rubbish, but yours is just plain amazing   

I wonder, could you possibly add the possibility to save presets? That way users could switch easily from rather different sounding configurations.
Also, when adjusting the sliders, the sound crackles considerably, which I don't know if it is easily solvable or not, to work as the noise reduction plugin, for instance. With these two things solved, the plugin would be perfect 

Overall, the plugin is very impressive, even more when using my XD-53

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #6
Very nice plugin. 

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #7
I don't know how to edit the topic...
Version updated.
v1.0.12 :
  Fix a memory leak.
  Add "Save&Load Configuration", now you can save & share your presets.

Best wishes.

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #8
I don't know how to edit the topic...
Version updated.
v1.0.12 :
  Fix a memory leak.
  Add "Save&Load Configuration", now you can save & share your presets.

Best wishes.

Thanks, saving and loading configs work nice
About editing the topic, I think you have to talk with the admins for them to change your account to developer, that way you can edit the topic and the first post.

Looking forward to what further improvements might show up

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #9
Great! Thank you for the nice work! Keep it up dude!

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #10
Does anyone care to post some settings for different gear?

Right now I'm using the default settings with a little adjustment:
Threshold Frequency: 1200Hz
Harmonic Frequency: 80Hz
Harmonic Bandwidth: 80Hz
Harmonic Energy: 20dB
Above Pre-Wave Decay: -92dB
Below Pre-Wave Decay: -10dB

Though with these settings there are quite some genres that sound a bit veiled or muffled somehow.

I've got slightly better results with:
Harmonic Frequency: 200Hz
Harmonic Bandwidth: 100Hz

Any tips on how to improve bass response without affecting the remaining frequency range?

PS: I'm listening through headphones, a pair of XD-53.

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #11
Does anyone care to post some settings for different gear?

Right now I'm using the default settings with a little adjustment:
Harmonic Frequency: 80Hz
Harmonic Bandwidth: 80Hz

Though with these settings there are quite some genres that sound a bit veiled or muffled somehow.

I've got slightly better results with:
Harmonic Frequency: 200Hz
Harmonic Bandwidth: 100Hz

Any tips on how to improve bass response without affecting the remaining frequency range?

PS: I'm listening through headphones, a pair of XD-53.

Sorry for my poor english, em...I want to explain, but I don't know how to express some functions in english -.-
Please imaginate it: ;-)
Threshold Frequency    : This is the frequency boundary that the plugin processed.
Harmonic Frequency      : This is the main bass frequency. In other words, the energy point of the bass wave(generated). Min value will increase the flexible of bass sound, but the endpoint device requirments will be high(maybe a hifi headphone or a subwoofer).
Harmonic Bandwidth      : This is the bandwidth of the main bass wave. Max value will diffuse the energy point. Min value will make the bass more tight.
Harmonic Energy          : This is the energy of the main bass wave(especially the energy point). Max value will make the final sound being compressed(or limited).
Above Pre-Wave Decay: This parameter controls a notch wave above main bass frequency and the main bass energy decay. Min value will make the human voice more clearly.
Below Pre-Wave Decay: This parameter controls a notch wave below main bass frequency and the frequency movements of the source bass.

If you have a HiFi endpoint device, small harmonic frequency and harmonic bandwidth will be appreciated.
If you hace a cheap endpoint device, large harmonic frequency, harmonic bandwidth and above pre-wave decay will be appreciated.
In general, a small above pre-wave decay always be better.

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #12
Congratulations! Nice device. Preset load/save runs very fine.

Using these parameters (soft fundamental deepness):
Threshold Frequency: 1200 Hz
Harmonic Frequency: 60 Hz
Harmonic Bandwidth: 80 Hz
Harmonic Energy: 20 dB
Above Pre-Wave Decay: -92 dB
Below Pre-Wave Decay: -10 dB

Higher values of harmonic frequency/bandwidth let sound bass guitar more funky. (o:
Harmonic Frequency: 200 Hz
Harmonic Bandwidth: 100 Hz

Higher values of harmonic energy are masking too many details.
Harmonic Energy: 24 dB

Equipment:
o headphones: Sennheiser HD 600
o monitors: Event 20/20bas

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #13
China_DemonViper, so far I've seen 3 people using your plugin with headphones which are definitely not cheap, and some settings did have to be changed for the sound to feel right. I don't know how the others are plugging their headphones, but I'm running mine through a headphone amplifier, and the so called cheap endpoint device settings seem to be closer to what sounds better, except the above pre-wave decay.

Harmonic energy usually ranges between 16 to 20dB, depending on the kind of music.

Is there room for improvement on the plugin? Also, I really think there should be a few config presets to help people get sound better for their equipment easier. Maybe if the list grew with good and enough presets, it could be included in the Info window (as well as an external txt file)

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #14
@China_DemonViper:
Above Pre-Wave Decay and Threshold Frequency changes midrange color of the mix drastically. So comparing gets very difficult. A bypass switch could be very constructive exploring minimal overall sound change.

Harmonic Energy should be between 12 dB (big speakers) to maximum 20 dB (headphones). Higher values results in unwanted booming.

@tribaljet:
My headphones are driven by a (discrete) headphone preamp directly plugged behind DAC.

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #15
Nice, nosyfred. I like the bypass idea, it's more practical than adding and removing bassexciter from the DSP chain.

HD 600 do benefit from amping, I would be surprised if you were running it straight from the computer output.

Where do you place bassexciter in the active DSPs, further down or more at the beginning, priority wise?

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #16
For device test I had only the enhancer in chain. (o:

Generally in mastering chains I tend to place enhancers further at the beginning. They need headroom in order to avoid (bass) distortions.

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #17
Fair enough. I do have a resampler first, bs2b second and bassexciter right after. Keeping it simple  Though I go back and forth between bassexciter and a VST bridge, which gives me a lot of headroom to play with the audio if I wish to.

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #18
Interesting. You are listening binaural? I have to try out bs2b. Can you adjust personal HRTF in this plugin?

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #19
Well, since I use mainly headphones, I have to go with binaural.

It can be adjusted to a degree. The effect is rather subtle, and do depends on the gear used, but it does work and reduces fatigue with zero or near zero distortion of the audio signal (I'd go with zero distortion whatsoever, but I'll let the benefit of doubt be out there ).

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #21
Well, with the amount of content with different bit depth and sampling rate out there, your soundcard will always resample. I think you might be referring to a situation like audigy 2 that does a very bad hardware resample to 48KHz. foobar has one of the best resamplers out there, beats so many hardware resamplers that you wouldn't believe 

Also, different soundcards yield different results with resampling, specially if you do direct up or downsampling with matching even sample rates.

But anyway, resampling is a very controversial subject 

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #22
Looks like the link is down... re-up please?

EDIT: Nevermind... :/

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #23
Link is working fine on my end.

In case some more people have issues with it, I'm uploading it to my mediafire account: http://www. mediafire.com/?w18wrhux15c3d1w

Hope it's ok with you, China_DemonViper 

EDIT: Just join the url parts, the full link can't be posted

foo_dsp_bassexciter

Reply #24
Link is working fine on my end.

In case some more people have issues with it, I'm uploading it to my mediafire account: http://www. mediafire.com/?w18wrhux15c3d1w

Hope it's ok with you, China_DemonViper 

EDIT: Just join the url parts, the full link can't be posted

That's OK ;-), you can redistribute it as you like.