IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Upload forum rules

- No over 30 sec clips of copyrighted music. Cite properly and never more than necessary for the discussion.

- No copyrighted software without permission.

- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

24/88.2 FLAC clip from Handel's Messiah, Linn Records
mixminus1
post Feb 12 2011, 22:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20097

From this thread

Attached File  13._.Chorus.For.unto.us.a.child.is.born.1min21sec_1min45sec.flac ( 7.74MB ) Number of downloads: 991

--------------------
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
2Bdecided
post Mar 4 2011, 14:02
Post #2

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

Here are bits 17-24 (only) from each sample of the above file, moved to bits 2-9 so you can hear them.

Warning: quite loud! (Far louder than the original file).
Warning: DC offset (bit 1 not used, hence all values are positive).

Attached File  13._.Chorus.For.unto.us.a.child.is.born.1min21sec_1min45sec_proc.flac ( 4.52MB ) Number of downloads: 164

EDIT: generated in MATLAB using manual bit shifting. DSP or assembler would have been far more efficient, but I believe the MATLAB result is correct.

This post has been edited by 2Bdecided: Mar 4 2011, 14:30
+Quote Post
IgorC
post Mar 6 2011, 13:18
Post #3

Member No.: 18803

QUOTE (2Bdecided @ Mar 4 2011, 10:02) *
Here are bits 17-24 (only) from each sample of the above file, moved to bits 2-9 so you can hear them.

Warning: quite loud! (Far louder than the original file).
Warning: DC offset (bit 1 not used, hence all values are positive).

Attached File  13._.Chorus.For.unto.us.a.child.is.born.1min21sec_1min45sec_proc.flac ( 4.52MB ) Number of downloads: 164

EDIT: generated in MATLAB using manual bit shifting. DSP or assembler would have been far more efficient, but I believe the MATLAB result is correct.

Don't want to be harsh but what purpose of such extraction? Point me if I am wrong but separated less significant bits (17-24) don't mimic the original signal and contain pure quantization differences/errors (noise).

P.S. I don't know if it's placebo but I hear some background intelligible sounds

This post has been edited by IgorC: Mar 6 2011, 13:26
+Quote Post
bandpass
post Mar 6 2011, 14:14
Post #4

Member No.: 56644

QUOTE (IgorC @ Mar 6 2011, 12:18) *
Don't want to be harsh but what purpose of such extraction? Point me if I am wrong but separated less significant bits (17-24) don't mimic the original signal and contain pure quantization differences/errors (noise).

P.S. I don't know if it's placebo but I hear some background intelligible sounds

Whatever should be in those LSBs, it clearly shouldn't be white noise.

P.S. If you listen to white noise for long enough, you'll eventually hear the sound of monkeys typing out the works of Shakespeare... wink.gif
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Mar 7 2011, 12:19
Post #5

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

QUOTE (bandpass @ Mar 6 2011, 13:14) *
Whatever should be in those LSBs, it clearly shouldn't be white noise.
?

When you quantise a signal where the entire signal spectrum is well above the quantisation level, the difference between the original and quantised version (i.e. the quantisation noise) is white noise.

It obviously has something to do with the original signal (it's the last 8 bits of it in this case), but whether it is any way correlated or even meaningfully related to the original signal is another question.

Anyway, I think the discussion would be better continued in the original thread...
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=86649

Cheers,
David.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 05:34